Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Drove through Geelong en route to Indented Head - why anyone would want to live anywhere within cooee of the place is a mystery to me.

PS - opinion not based on just the other day - have seen enough of the place (and the residents) over the years

They did have four pretty good ins, to be fair.
Pretty much vindicates anyone who said before the season that Ollie isn’t in Geelongs best 22 and won’t get more opportunity than he did at the pies though.
Pretty damning that in a side that’s really struggling for forward pressure they’re happy to play a half cooked Hawkins and drop Ollie. Really needs to work on his intensity and defensive efforts or he’s going to have a below average career.

Pretty much vindicates anyone who said before the season that Ollie isn’t in Geelongs best 22 and won’t get more opportunity than he did at the pies though.
Pretty damning that in a side that’s really struggling for forward pressure they’re happy to play a half cooked Hawkins and drop Ollie. Really needs to work on his intensity and defensive efforts or he’s going to have a below average career.
Defensive efforts are just work rate and effort. Leaving for 1 hour down the highway hints at someone who isn’t always prepared to work hard. We also seen it when he was dropped to the VFL last year where he could have fought his way back in and potentially past Johnson in the finals.

Defensive efforts are just work rate and effort. Leaving for 1 hour down the highway hints at someone who isn’t always prepared to work hard. We also seen it when he was dropped to the VFL last year where he could have fought his way back in and potentially past Johnson in the finals.

giphy.gif

It was pretty obvious Ollie wouldn’t be best 22 - he definitely has some tricks but, his lack of versatility, due to deficiencies in size, pace, tank, and defensive efforts were always going to be telling.

It was pretty obvious Ollie wouldn’t be best 22 - he definitely has some tricks but, his lack of versatility, due to deficiencies in size, pace, tank, and defensive efforts were always going to be telling.
Size isn’t so much an issue if you have the aerial game, Tim Membrey has already proved that, and I’m not sure Ollie lacks pace so much as he doesn’t know how to use his, or doesn’t have the tank to show it.
Honestly he has all the tools to make it, but it’s a matter of whether he’s willing to put in the work that’s required to bring himself to the standard that’s needed, or if he’s happy to coast along and get irregular games on talent alone.

Size isn’t so much an issue if you have the aerial game, Tim Membrey has already proved that, and I’m not sure Ollie lacks pace so much as he doesn’t know how to use his, or doesn’t have the tank to show it.
Honestly he has all the tools to make it, but it’s a matter of whether he’s willing to put in the work that’s required to bring himself to the standard that’s needed, or if he’s happy to coast along and get irregular games on talent alone.
But that's the same criticism levelled at every talent since the dawn of time. "A spell in the army would do them good!¡"

Adapt to different unit-types.

But that's the same criticism levelled at every talent since the dawn of time. "A spell in the army would do them good!¡"

Refer Calvin Coolidge - talent, persistence etc

He comes across as a match winning smart arse. He may indeed go on to play like that...a few times at least.

I like this analogy.
Never more apparent than when he had the opportunity to slam that goal through before Darcy got him, he slowed right down to a walk to make it a highlight reel moment.

Not quite. Plenty of talents out there who have gotten the best out of themselves eventually, or right from the get go. Not sure there was ever any question mark over the willingness to work hard in regards to the Judds/Buckleys/Harveys etc of the AFL, the most recent examples being our own Nick Daicos and this year Harry Cheezles. Likewise that criticism rarely applies to the less talented (but still talented enough to play AFL) players, who know damn well the only way they’ll be successful is if they work harder than everyone else.

There’s a certain group of players (usually first round selections but not always) who have all the talent in the world but could go either way. Jarrod Brennan, Dane Swan, Gary Ablett Jr, Jaidyn Stephenson etc. You’ve got guys in this category who started their careers slow and became superstars after they pulled their finger out, guys who worked hard at the start, but then coasted and had their career go downhill, or in Brennans case, never work hard but still manage an okish career on pure talent alone. Ollie falls in that category imo.

^ Fascinated you put Swan in there, as an unfashionable late round pick who early on never looked like much!
He was unfashionable yes, but I remember MM talking about him a few years ago saying he had talent out the wazoo but clubs (including Collingwood) were seriously concerned about his application which is why he went so late. Probably didn’t help that draft had the most ridiculous group of high end talent ever assembled in the one year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drove through Geelong en route to Indented Head - why anyone would want to live anywhere within cooee of the place is a mystery to me.

PS - opinion not based on just the other day - have seen enough of the place (and the residents) over the years
My memory of Indented Head is staying there as a teenager with my school friend's family, German, and taking 7 attempts to even get up and started on a set of water skis and being petrified each time I had to hang around in deep water, flapping my skis to ward off sharks and waiting for the boat to pick me up.

The boy's dad was manager of Four and Twenty Pies and Peters, so junk food was laid on like normal food at every meal. Mum was a holocaust denier, and even at 12, I was always up for an argument and she gave plenty of grounds for one. There was the briefest of love affairs - just a shy kiss or two - with one of the boy's sisters, the one who hadn't succumbed to the bodily fat applied by a diet of pies, sausage rolls, jam donuts and ice creams.

As for Indented Head itself, I remember nothing about the place.

He was unfashionable yes, but I remember MM talking about him a few years ago saying he had talent out the wazoo but clubs (including Collingwood) were seriously concerned about his application which is why he went so late. Probably didn’t help that draft had the most ridiculous group of high end talent ever assembled in the one year.
Was it also when you could only draft one 17 year old?

My memory of Indented Head is staying there as a teenager with my school friend's family, German, and taking 7 attempts to even get up and started on a set of water skis and being petrified each time I had to hang around in deep water, flapping my skis to ward off sharks and waiting for the boat to pick me up.

The boy's dad was manager of Four and Twenty Pies and Peters, so junk food was laid on like normal food at every meal. Mum was a holocaust denier, and even at 12, I was always up for an argument and she gave plenty of grounds for one. There was the briefest of love affairs - just a shy kiss or two - with one of the boy's sisters, the one who hadn't succumbed to the bodily fat applied by a diet of pies, sausage rolls, jam donuts and ice creams.

As for Indented Head itself, I remember nothing about the place.
Wonderful 🤣 - my first memory of Indented Head is many moons ago - a day visit to my sister who was staying with the family of one of her school
friends. I got tooken out fishing - may have even caught some flathead - I remember excitedly returning from fishing and announcing to my mother that we had gone "fishing in Bass Strait" - not sure why I thought 400 metres off Indented Head was Bass Strait! - could have been the exuberance of youth ...
Stealing a kiss from a friend's sister was always fun - the lure of semi- forbidden fruit - there we go again - fruit rules -:inc at Indented Head

Remove this Banner Ad

Back