Review Player review v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if a quality key position tall is a need, you have to give something up for him...unless we can snare a free agent I guess. Stepho has currency, we have a lot of quality small forwards and Stepho for me is soft and I despise soft players.

You have to give up something to get something...Depends on your perspective, does our list need improving in the key forward positions?

I dont want to speak for Stepho but I wouldnt be surprised if he despised anonymous people making posts like yours... or maybe he would just laugh and shrug his shoulders and say that every fan base has brilliant list managers like yourself.

To tell you the truth, i like Mason but I was happy when I got to the ground and found out that he got replaced in the team.

I got worried again when I looked down at the half forward flank and saw the midfield practising clearances using Rupe as the ruckman. It looked like the first training session after someone came up with the idea. I didnt expect Rupe not to even make contests. He might have forgotten to nominate for them. That's pretty understandable. Last night wasnt the conditions to try to get Mason back into form. If the weather improves next week against the beagles, he might be given half a chance to succeed.

The late change clearly wasn’t planned in advance otherwise a bit more thought would have been put in to preparing Wills/Roughead for this challenge.

This was more akin to asking your number three batsman to put on the wicketkeeping gloves at the last moment before an Ashes test.

This review was a bit of a mixed bag.

A couple of good calls (e.g. WHE has been largely terrible since 2018, contributes nothing most weeks) and some shockers (e.g. Stephenson. He's one of the best players at the club despite only having 45 senior games to his name. Will be a superstar).

The one whose head I always find myself calling for is Cal Brown. I just don't understand what he does.

He is completely anonymous for almost all of his games and the good things he is capable of doing, such as the odd goal out of a stoppage, are far too infrequent to make him at all useful. He is short, weak, not particularly quick, there's no penetration in his kicking and he's not offensively talented enough to play as a permanent forward. He's quite good below his knees and has good reflexes, but is several levels below our elite centre bounce brigade, so won't get a gig in there either. At least Wills can affect the contest and his tackles stick, and I don't even rate him much.

Most weeks Brown is completely anonymous and the rest of his games are a sprinkling of terrible performances or largely anonymous performances where he does a couple of nice things and has 'contributed'. He's not AFL standard and IMO never will be.

His brother, on the other hand, is a little bit special in my opinion. Gives me Fyfe vibes.

I dont get fyfe vibes with Tyler. Fyfe even from early would get a tonne of it and was very good above his head.

Tyler struggles to gain possessions and stay involved at all levels.
Not writing him off as a player but dont get the star in the making calls think if his bame wasnt Brown he wouldnt of even debuted yet.

I dont get fyfe vibes with Tyler. Fyfe even from early would get a tonne of it and was very good above his head.

Not writing him off as a player but dont get the star in the making calls think if his bame wasnt Brown he wouldnt of even debuted yet.
He's got a bit of silky composure, but at the moment he's a fair way off being a solid senior player, let alone a Brownlow medalist.

And Dids - what a player nonetheless.

He's the guy with the conviction to back himself in 50m out from the boundary line. We paid to watch him win games for us.

We tend to romanticise the courageous and rightfully so, but let's not narrow the definition of courage too much or discount how awesome rare talent is to watch.

You still refuse to accept Heritier Lumumba was nicknamed and called chimp despite all the proof. I'm not sure what would be "definitive proof" for you. It's a convenient argument you use to shout down anyones opinions that are contrary to yours.
I don't refuse to accept anything - I haven't seen any compelling evidence either way.
As to shouting down - that's pure hyperbole on your part.

He's the guy with the conviction to back himself in 50m out from the boundary line. We paid to watch him win games for us.

We tend to romanticise the courageous and rightfully so, but let's not narrow the definition of courage too much or discount how awesome rare talent is to watch.
Yep. In terms of hardness and courage, throw in the outside players like Craig Bradley or Tom Phillips who run themselves into the ground every game, pushing through the pain of whatever niggles they have. Throw in guys like Pendles who don't flinch or rush when tacklers are closing and looking to smash them in to the turf. I actually think it takes more courage to play like Pendles than to grit your teeth, get aggressive and smash the ball forward.

Last edited:
I don't refuse to accept anything - I haven't seen any compelling evidence either way.

Despite statements from multiple players who said they heard it used. That's "definitive evidence".

As to shouting down - that's pure hyperbole on your part.

Colourful language is more fun. Theres some truth in it though.

Despite statements from multiple players who said they heard it used. That's "definitive evidence".

Colourful language is more fun. Theres some truth in it though.
Look quicky I posted SOME TIME AGO now that we had differing opinions on this and to please desist.
Why are you simply unable to let it go?
You won't change my decision to NOT be stampeded by the mob and are simply being pig headed in constantly derailing the thread.
Please stop.

Stephenson is a special talent and I believe our best forward. He isn't soft. There was a chest mark he took last night where he needed to protect the ball but to do so was going to cop the hit. He knew it and he didn't shirk. He stood and copped it. He isn't the body shape now, and likely won't ever be, to be throwing his weight around. Stephenson is a player you build a forward line around. Trading him would be insanity.

There was also one on the wing where he pulled up and then failed to make it when the young geelong player was running towards him. Got worried out of it i suspect due to oncoming collision if he tried to mark it.

I dont think he's soft but has a way to go in the area in his development as a top line player.

Look quicky I posted SOME TIME AGO now that we had differing opinions on this and to please desist.
Why are you simply unable to let it go?
You won't change my decision to NOT be stampeded by the mob and are simply being pig headed in constantly derailing the thread.
Please stop.

I'm not trying to change your opinion on that. That wasn't my point. I'm just observing that you use language like "no facts" or "no definitive evidence" to dismiss other opinions. Despite that often not being the case. Don't forget you rengaged with me on this last time around. And the time before that. This is the first time I've started a discussion with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm always a bit nervous when clubs use comparisons with great players to pump up the confidence of their younger players. All of the father son players at the Pies have to walk around being compared to their old mans by the fans. The club might have thought to change the player that he is compared with, or just to pump him up a bit if his confidence needed a boost. The problem of course is that the fans are going to harp on this fyfe comparison for the next few years. It would probably be best for Tyler if fans just let the comparison go, and leave him a chance to forge his own path. I would hate to see them seeking trades in the near future just to get some fresh air and to enjoy their footy. Fyfe has won two brownlow medals. Tyler is never ever going to get near this.

I'm always a bit nervous when clubs use comparisons with great players to pump up the confidence of their younger players. All of the father son players at the Pies have to walk around being compared to their old mans by the fans. The club might have thought to change the player that he is compared with, or just to pump him up a bit if his confidence needed a boost. The problem of course is that the fans are going to harp on this fyfe comparison for the next few years. It would probably be best for Tyler if fans just let the comparison go, and leave him a chance to forge his own path. I would hate to see them seeking trades in the near future just to get some fresh air and to enjoy their footy. Fyfe has won two brownlow medals. Tyler is never ever going to get near this.

How do you know for sure he won't?

The only forward we can realisticly trade for is 2M Peter, there just isn't any up for grabs. To trade Stepho at this stage of his career would be crazy, in 5 years time he will be ripping the Competition apart

THIS, THIS and MORE THIS......there's no-one we're gonna be able to trade for that would be worth Stepho....and even then why would u trade a kid that makes things happen?

There was also one on the wing where he pulled up and then failed to make it when the young geelong player was running towards him. Got worried out of it i suspect due to oncoming collision if he tried to mark it.

I dont think he's soft but has a way to go in the area in his development as a top line player.

And yet there'd be 17 other clubs salivating at the chance to put him on their lists. Seriously if you can't see the difference between this bloke and most other 2nd year players (cos that's what he effectively is) then you're nuts! He's a game changer and exactly the type of player you want come finals time.

And yet there'd be 17 other clubs salivating at the chance to put him on their lists. Seriously if you can't see the difference between this bloke and most other 2nd year players (cos that's what he effectively is) then you're nuts! He's a game changer and exactly the type of player you want come finals time.

Not sure where i said anything other then a comment around his willingness or lack of on occassions to take the hit at this stage of his career.

He is an impact player and still very green physically. Think he will be a very good player with time atm does go missing a lot but again 2nd year player, skinny, coming off illness etc etc another 2 to 3 years off to knowing what we truly have with him. Hopefully more then a WHE type.

And the likely replacement for DeGoey out of the square, need him now more than ever

He's got a bit of silky composure, but at the moment he's a fair way off being a solid senior player, let alone a Brownlow medalist.

Don't get me won't, I don't think he's anywhere near the level of ability and obviously he's still a rake.

There's just something about the way he moves and cracks into contests that reminds me of Nat.

Do I think he'll ever be even close to the level of player Fyfe is? No I don't. Fyfe is the best midfielder in the league, and by lots. Nobody is near him IMO. Do I think there are similarities in the way they play? Yes, I do.

I rate Tyler and I see big talent in him, which is the complete opposite of how I feel about his brother.

As for the other father sons. obviously Darcy is awesome and I love Daicos. He's developing into a ripper in my opinion.

Pendles - was great in tight but turned it over a bit, decent game all things considered.

Adams - Another super strong game, set up goals, kicked a goal, great at ground level. Having a great season.

Treloar - Was superb. Won clearance after clearance, adapted to the conditions and drove the ball forward. His disposal per minute this season are out of this world. Was held a lot which prevented him doing even more damage.

Elliott - started really well then died out of it.

Mayne - very strong performance, helped a heap in the stoppages and laid a lot of strong tackles.

Daicos - very handy goal off one step, loving his season.

Brown - was bad again, cannot kick far and things just arent working for him at the moment.

Wills - was really poor, doesnt seem to be used in the centre bounce at all so i'm not sure why he is in the team.

Phillips - had a decent game, adapted to the conditions. Has been putting his head over the ball a lot recently which is good to see.

Maynard - another fantastic performance. Never gets beaten, bullet passes apart from that bad short kick to Adams.

Crisp - Best game of the season for him, was strong defensively and had that great clearance at the end to set up De Goey.

Moore - Superb game, in incredible form at the moment.

Roughy - was ok, kept Hawkins goal less which is always good.

IQ - Another great game from him, defensively he looks great. Didnt get as much of the ball but uses it well. Loved when he didnt get duked out by Jack Steven who couldnt get past him.

Atu - Didnt attack the ball like he did last week, was like he was waiting for the ball to get to him all night. Decent harassing of Geelong forwards though.

WHE - Though he was good, a natural forward. Keep him there, not sure why he tried to snap the ball when he is a great set shot though.

Stephenson - was poor, seemed to lack effort.

Noble - He was really good I thought. Never gets beat out the back like a few small defenders can. Didn't fumble either which was part of the reason he was dropped.

Varcoe - good game, was better last week but performed a role.

De Goey - best on ground performance. Hopefully we see more of this form whenever he is back from finger surgery.

Grundy - Dominant display, beautiful tap to Crisp. Would love to see him get forward more though.

Mihocek - competed hard but didnt do much, rough match up.

He’s soft, pulls out of too many contests...anybody that thinks he’ll develop toughness has either never played or just doesn’t understand how sport works. He’s at the beginning of his career and should be putting everything on the line to Be the best that he can be. He doesn’t which is fine, not everybody needs to be hard but as a result he won’t become the star that everybody expects him to be. There are so many examples of this being the case.

Nobody is saying that he isn’t a talent, and that he can do good things, but as the opposition begin to work
that he doesn’t like contact they will play him that way and he’ll end up like WHE.

So the point then is, we have a need for a KPF...Stepho has currency in a position where we have plenty of talent. Don’t understand what the outrage is.

He will have impact, and come in and out of games. Will kick a bag next week undoubtedly as the square becomes his, and he can just run into uncontested space...but he won’t ever become more than that. Which again is fine, except that we already carry too many soft players and I’d prefer to offload the one with the most currency to get a blue chip key position beast...what’s wrong with that?!

If we are going to continue with the idiotic "one ruckman" plan then we need to make some proper sacrifices on the field when Grundy goes off the ground. Roughead is a premiership ruckman and Moore has excellent ruck skills. We need to utilise one of them when needed and just hope the backline can cope for 5-10 minutes. Not ideal but better than Wills (or nobody at all which happened a lot last night). Better still, play Cox.

If Moore is played in the ruck, and does a knee, I will hunt you and anyone else who mutters this blasphemy, and Bucks, for sport

If Moore is played in the ruck, and does a knee, I will hunt you and anyone else who mutters this blasphemy, and Bucks, for sport

Sure go for it.

Do you have any stats that prove that ruckmen get more injuries than key defenders?

Moore is just as likely to injure himself tying up his bootlaces.

I’m not suggesting that Moore be the second ruck.... quite the opposite.... I’m suggesting that Cox does the job. Anybody but Wills even if that means utilising Moore or Roughead.

Sure go for it.

Do you have any stats that prove that ruckmen get more injuries than key defenders?

Moore is just as likely to injure himself tying up his bootlaces.

I’m not suggesting that Moore be the second ruck.... quite the opposite.... I’m suggesting that Cox does the job. Anybody but Wills even if that means utilising Moore or Roughead.

This was a pretty unique situation, though.

It was pelting down rain so they pulled the giraffe out at the last minute. One of Cox or Cameron has been playing that role and we will go with that option most week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back