Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's fine as long as you don't wear the other team's colours.

I once had to work a Hawthorn function where Kennett, Clarkson and T.Mitchell all spoke but because I was in my work uniform it was fine.
Should have tampered with Kennetts drinks

There was an odd story this week about Gina Rhinehart demanding a portrait of her in the National Portrait Gallery was removed coz it was unflattering!

When even her kids have no time for her because she is a cruel cooker I can’t think of any portrait could not be unflattering beyond a blank canvas. Who knows what she wants a portrait similar to the Warhol images of Munro.

The connection to us is the portrait of Goodesy done by same artist, the remarkable Vincent Namatjira. That portrait won the Archibald in 2020.

There was an odd story this week about Gina Rhinehart demanding a portrait of her in the National Portrait Gallery was removed coz it was unflattering!

When even her kids have no time for her because she is a cruel cooker I can’t think of any portrait could not be unflattering beyond a blank canvas. Who knows what she wants a portrait similar to the Warhol images of Munro.

The connection to us is the portrait of Goodesy done by same artist, the remarkable Vincent Namatjira. That portrait won the Archibald in 2020.

ha, yeah, hilarious story ... and there's now a second work, a sketch, i think, that makes her look even worse
the artists have captured her soul

I was at the National Gallery a couple of weeks ago and picked up small prints/XL postcards of both Goodsey and Derek Kickett in Swans uniform. I'm still deciding where to pin them up. Good gets - only $4 each!

Ticky009 I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the work you do to keep us informed! I may not always be posting (RL can be tricky!), but I am always lurking!

The work you do does not go un-noticed or un-appreciated! We joined BF around the same time, and you have been nothing but a quality, caring, superlative poster! I don't know if there are merit awards/badges for 'Excellent Service to the Swans Board' but if there is not, there should be! You man the Media board (now with some help), you man that Stats board (sometimes with help), and you moderate all the petty bickering and squabbles that come about with such a diverse group of posters come together, with grace and equanimity.

Chief I hear by nominate Ticky009 for an 'Excellent Service to the Sydney Swans Board' award!

Ticky009 I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the work you do to keep us informed! I may not always be posting (RL can be tricky!), but I am always lurking!

The work you do does not go un-noticed or un-appreciated! We joined BF around the same time, and you have been nothing but a quality, caring, superlative poster! I don't know if there are merit awards/badges for 'Excellent Service to the Swans Board' but if there is not, there should be! You man the Media board (now with some help), you man that Stats board (sometimes with help), and you moderate all the petty bickering and squabbles that come about with such a diverse group of posters come together, with grace and equanimity.

Chief I hear by nominate Ticky009 for an 'Excellent Service to the Sydney Swans Board' award!
Thanks for the kind words Kirky! I don't do it alone though; the other mods pull their weight in a perhaps less flamboyant fashion.

ha, yeah, hilarious story ... and there's now a second work, a sketch, i think, that makes her look even worse
the artists have captured her soul
Rumour has it. After capturing her soul, the artist offered to sell it back to her for 5% of her total wealth... she declined, citing she didn't need it where she was heading.

One of my favourite parts of this year is the fact that these are some of our Goal of the Week winners so far this season:

OR - Ollie Florent
R3 - Nick Blakey
R4 - Matty Roberts
R7 - Ollie Florent
R9 - Jake Lloyd
R10 - Harry Cunningham

Thanks for the kind words Kirky! I don't do it alone though; the other mods pull their weight in a perhaps less flamboyant fashion.
No you don't, but you have done a lot for a ten years now... and I think it should be recognised.

Thought you should have a badge of honour!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Random thing I decided to do while bored.

Rate our most used 23 players this year on the year they've had, factoring in injuries, games missed, how good their good games have been, how bad their bad games have been, overall consistency, performance, highlights, role they play, importance to the team, etc.

1. Heeney
2. Warner
3. Rowbottom
4. Gulden
5. Grundy
6. Blakey
7. Florent
8. Cunningham
9. Melican
10. McCartin
11. Jordon
12. McInerney
13. Rampe
14. Hayward
15. Lloyd
16. McLean
17. McDonald
18. Roberts
19. Papley
20. Adams
21. Wicks
22. Amartey
23. Fox

Honestly felt harsh on that entire bottom six but also couldn't justify having them any higher. Guess that speaks volumes about how good we've been across the board.

Rate our most used 23 players this year on the year they've had, factoring in injuries, games missed, how good their good games have been, how bad their bad games have been, overall consistency, performance, highlights, role they play, importance to the team, etc.

1. Heeney
2. Warner
3. Rowbottom
4. Gulden
5. Grundy
6. Blakey
7. Florent
8. Cunningham
9. Melican
10. McCartin
11. Jordon
12. McInerney
13. Rampe
14. Hayward
15. Lloyd
16. McLean
17. McDonald
18. Roberts
19. Papley
20. Adams
21. Wicks
22. Amartey
23. Fox

Honestly felt harsh on that entire bottom six but also couldn't justify having them any higher. Guess that speaks volumes about how good we've been across the board.
You've got too much time on your hands!
Now rate them for replaceability (sic?) 😄.
I'll start:
1. Grundy
2. Blakey
3. Rowbottom
and so on - very subjective of course.
My excuse - I'm retired.

I'll start:
1. Grundy
2. Blakey
3. Rowbottom
My excuse - I'm retired.
Geez what's your excuse for only doing 3 out of the 23 then :p

But that is tough. It's so hard to order them all because each have their strengths that they bring, some are better players than others but are also easier to find someone like them. Or if we lost what they bring in particular we could work around it (ie that group of Lloyd, Roberts, Florent, Jordon, McInerney etc could be fairly interchangeable if we needed them to be.)

But I think there are a few who are truly irreplaceable in terms of there's no one like them and what they do is too important to be without for more than the odd game here or there - McCartin, Rowbottom, Heeney, Grundy, Blakey.

Geez what's your excuse for only doing 3 out of the 23 then :p

But that is tough. It's so hard to order them all because each have their strengths that they bring, some are better players than others but are also easier to find someone like them. Or if we lost what they bring in particular we could work around it (ie that group of Lloyd, Roberts, Florent, Jordon, McInerney etc could be fairly interchangeable if we needed them to be.)

But I think there are a few who are truly irreplaceable in terms of there's no one like them and what they do is too important to be without for more than the odd game here or there - McCartin, Rowbottom, Heeney, Grundy, Blakey.
I stopped because to be honest I got bored and you're right, replacement becomes more complex and not a simple one-for-one pretty quickly after Rowbottom, even including Heeney.
We even managed surprisingly well without McCartin, though McCartin AND Fox will be tougher. Those top few though we do not have readymade replacements for and shuffles would still leave us short. But our improved depth really shows.

I'll start:
1. Grundy
2. Blakey
3. Rowbottom
My excuse - I'm retired.

Mccartin would be up there.

Now let's rate them in order of who would be most helpful if trapped in a lift together.

1. Heeney
2. Warner
3. Rowbottom
4. Gulden
5. Grundy
6. Blakey
7. Florent
8. Cunningham
9. Melican
10. McCartin
11. Jordon
12. McInerney
13. Rampe
14. Hayward
15. Lloyd
16. McLean
17. McDonald
18. Roberts
19. Papley
20. Adams
21. Wicks
22. Amartey
23. Fox

Reckon you’ve just about nailed it - I’d just shift Ollie Florent up at no.5 …. I reckon his season to date has been absolutely first-rate.

As our leading goal-kicker, McDonald might be a tad harshly done by - probably goes above McL, despite McL’s solid ruck chop-out work.

But nonetheless, a gold star & a smiley stamp for effort.

Reckon you’ve just about nailed it - I’d just shift Ollie Florent up at no.5 …. I reckon his season to date has been absolutely first-rate.

As our leading goal-kicker, McDonald might be a tad harshly done by - probably goes above McL, despite McL’s solid ruck chop-out work.

But nonetheless, a gold star & a smiley stamp for effort.
The smiley stamp is really what I did it for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back