QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Keeping it real brief this week. Had to deal with an attempted break-in this morning, so….

Round 7

Noosa V Labrador

Played 5: Noosa 2 wins – Labrador 3 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Only having started playing against each other recently, there is not a huge history here. The closest margin has been 13 points – and the remaining four games have been decided by 4 goals or more.

Redland Victoria Point V Aspley
Played 26: Redland 11 – Aspley 15 (QAFL 2009-2015, 2022-2024)
Early in the season, but we have already reached a point where two clubs are meeting for the second time. The first game in Round 2 was a tight tussle with the Hornets getting up by only six points.
During their QAFL clashes, there have been five games decided by less than 10 points. Aspley has also managed to win the last seven games against the Sharks.
Their history goes back to SQAFA too, starting from 1974 and finishing in 1999 (although they were not in the same comp for all of those years). Forgive me if I don’t go back to check on that history this week.

Surfers Paradise V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 27: Surfers Paradise 5 – Palm Beach Currumbin 22 (2011-2023)
27 games in QAFL World – but there would be a massive number of contests previously in the Gold Coast and AFLSQ competitions. I have made a start on collating Gold Coast results – but it is tough, so if anyone can provide a jump-start with past results, that would be great.
Over the past 13 seasons, the results heavily favour the Lions. Only four of the games have had single digit margins.

Broadbeach V Morningside
Played 69: Broadbeach 26 – Morningside 43 (1997-2023)
It is definitely more interesting (for me) when the games involve clubs that have been competing against each other for an extended period of time.
The Cats joined the QSFL comp in 1997. Once again, four of the games have resulted in margins under 10 points. These games tend to not be close. Regardless of which team wins, the average winning margin has been over 45 points. That is pretty significant. So whoever wins, maybe they will run away with it? (Or maybe not.)

Mt Gravatt V Maroochydore
Played 9: Mt Gravatt 5 – Maroochydore 4 (1998-2000, 2021-2023)
At the end of the last century, Mt Gravatt won the first five games – and since the Roos’ elevation, Maroochydore has won the next four clashes.
Historically, this has been another game that ends in large margins. The three closest matches have been 1, 8, and 21 point results. However, the fourth closest result was 46 points.
I got to see the Vultures’ first half last week. The effort they put in was genuinely honourable. Overall, they were still not going to be any match for the Panthers – but there was some improvement happening.

Sherwood V Wilston Grange
Played 34: Sherwood 20 – Wilston Grange 14 (1983-1987, 2011-2023)
Another game with AFLSQ history – but I won’t be digging it out this week.
I reckon this is the most interesting clash this week. The head-to-head is relatively close. There have been numerous close games with 6 results under 10 points. Both clubs have enjoyed some success, but also some stutters in recent decades.
A warning: if you’re going to this game, be prepared to park away from the clubhouse. It caught me out last week - and it looked like they had a good crowd.

Good luck to all clubs this week. I think I might have a drink now. Any errors this week, I apologise.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

My Tips for Round 7

The general consensus this week seems to be to tip the Away teams. I won't argue with that. (What could possibly go wrong?)

Labrador
Aspley
Palm Beach
Morningside
Maroochydore
Wilston Grange

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Keeping it real brief this week. Had to deal with an attempted break-in this morning, so….

Round 7

Noosa V Labrador

Played 5: Noosa 2 wins – Labrador 3 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Only having started playing against each other recently, there is not a huge history here. The closest margin has been 13 points – and the remaining four games have been decided by 4 goals or more.

Redland Victoria Point V Aspley
Played 26: Redland 11 – Aspley 15 (QAFL 2009-2015, 2022-2024)
Early in the season, but we have already reached a point where two clubs are meeting for the second time. The first game in Round 2 was a tight tussle with the Hornets getting up by only six points.
During their QAFL clashes, there have been five games decided by less than 10 points. Aspley has also managed to win the last seven games against the Sharks.
Their history goes back to SQAFA too, starting from 1974 and finishing in 1999 (although they were not in the same comp for all of those years). Forgive me if I don’t go back to check on that history this week.

Surfers Paradise V Palm Beach Currumbin
Played 27: Surfers Paradise 5 – Palm Beach Currumbin 22 (2011-2023)
27 games in QAFL World – but there would be a massive number of contests previously in the Gold Coast and AFLSQ competitions. I have made a start on collating Gold Coast results – but it is tough, so if anyone can provide a jump-start with past results, that would be great.
Over the past 13 seasons, the results heavily favour the Lions. Only four of the games have had single digit margins.

Broadbeach V Morningside
Played 69: Broadbeach 26 – Morningside 43 (1997-2023)
It is definitely more interesting (for me) when the games involve clubs that have been competing against each other for an extended period of time.
The Cats joined the QSFL comp in 1997. Once again, four of the games have resulted in margins under 10 points. These games tend to not be close. Regardless of which team wins, the average winning margin has been over 45 points. That is pretty significant. So whoever wins, maybe they will run away with it? (Or maybe not.)

Mt Gravatt V Maroochydore
Played 9: Mt Gravatt 5 – Maroochydore 4 (1998-2000, 2021-2023)
At the end of the last century, Mt Gravatt won the first five games – and since the Roos’ elevation, Maroochydore has won the next four clashes.
Historically, this has been another game that ends in large margins. The three closest matches have been 1, 8, and 21 point results. However, the fourth closest result was 46 points.
I got to see the Vultures’ first half last week. The effort they put in was genuinely honourable. Overall, they were still not going to be any match for the Panthers – but there was some improvement happening.

Sherwood V Wilston Grange
Played 34: Sherwood 20 – Wilston Grange 14 (1983-1987, 2011-2023)
Another game with AFLSQ history – but I won’t be digging it out this week.
I reckon this is the most interesting clash this week. The head-to-head is relatively close. There have been numerous close games with 6 results under 10 points. Both clubs have enjoyed some success, but also some stutters in recent decades.
A warning: if you’re going to this game, be prepared to park away from the clubhouse. It caught me out last week - and it looked like they had a good crowd.

Good luck to all clubs this week. I think I might have a drink now. Any errors this week, I apologise.

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:
Redland were Aspley bogey team in the neafl. Especially that 3 ear period 13/14/15. Played them on a Friday night at yeronga and got pantsed in 2013. Beat them in the elimination final in 14 by a kick

Morningside and Broadbeach is always a good contest. Corey Fulton kicked his 100th in 06 against the panthers at esplin oval, but morningside beat them in the first semi at Broadbeach 2 weeks later. Dennis knight coached that team and dropped a player to play himself in that game

Toucan would probably know the stats but Morningside and Broadbeach have played a lot of finals against each other in 25 years (probably 1/4 of all finals cats have played) and unfortunately Morningside have caused mad Monday all too regularly.

Toucan would probably know the stats but Morningside and Broadbeach have played a lot of finals against each other in 25 years (probably 1/4 of all finals cats have played) and unfortunately Morningside have caused mad Monday all too regularly.
2010premier A quick look back this morning reveals the two clubs have met in finals 10 times (so approx 1 in 7 of all games between the two has been a finals encounter).
The record stands as: Morningside 6 - Broadbeach 4.
The first encounter was in the Qualifying Final at Giffin Park, 2004, when Broadbeach grabbed a 1-point victory over the Panthers.
There has been a real mix of finals played: 2 Qualifying Finals, 4 Semi-Finals, 1 Elimination Final, 2 Preliminary Final - and of course, 1 Grand Final (2020 when Morningside was triumphant in a low-scoring affair at Yeronga).
Given that Broadbeach is playing at Home today, here is one element of optimism: every final played at Broadbeach (Subaru Oval/Neptune Homes Oval) has been won by Broadbeach (3 from 3). I know it is not a final today, of course.
Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested by what you mean of overachieving

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Keeping it real.

They (PBC) beat WG at home by 4 points in a thriller.
They beat MTG, Noosa. And Roos (who had a lot of outs.)

Best 2 wins were
v a confused RVP at home with less scoring shots. (23 PBC, to 28 RVP)
v a depleted BB with Near even scoring shots. (24 PBC to 22 BB)

Surfers will keep them honest.

Last edited:
Redland were Aspley bogey team in the neafl. Especially that 3 ear period 13/14/15. Played them on a Friday night at yeronga and got pantsed in 2013. Beat them in the elimination final in 14 by a kick

Morningside and Broadbeach is always a good contest. Corey Fulton kicked his 100th in 06 against the panthers at esplin oval, but morningside beat them in the first semi at Broadbeach 2 weeks later. Dennis knight coached that team and dropped a player to play himself in that game

I remember that aswell! Cats lost 2 home finals in a row after finishing second behind either Southport or zillmere from memory

Keeping it real.

They (PBC) beat WG at home by 4 points in a thriller.
They beat MTG, Noosa. And Roos (who had a lot of outs.)

Best 2 wins were
v a confused RVP at home with less scoring shots. (23 PBC, to 28 RVP)
v a depleted BB with Near even scoring shots. (24 PBC to 22 BB)

Surfers will keep them honest.

"Surfers will keep them honest."

...and did.

WTF...happened at Noosa today?? Noosa at home seems to be a boogieman for Labrador?

Noosa 16-8-104
Labrador 9-17-71

Noosa were very good today,there pressure across the ground for the entire day too much for Labrador!
Rich kicking 8.1 certainly helped

Holy Sht! 8-1. Earned his loot today!

Pressure is usually Labradors thing.

Went to the Aspley vs Redland game today .. Redlands were good ,, threw everything at Aspley but the juggarnaut prevailed . Must comment Aspley were quite undisciplined and gave away a number of 50 metre penalties ,, 2 of them resulting in goals to Redland.
Still think theres a arrogance amongst the Aspley players and the coach needs to nip this in the bud cause it will come back and bite them

Sherwood had a good showing. Their young players improving with experience? Lost by 18 scoring shots to 22, v WG. (58 - 82)

Surfers over Palmy by a point ,, and without a number of their guns .. I selected them as finishing second on the ladder before the seasons start and I think they will

Just wondering why you tipped PBC then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back