Autopsy Round 1, 2021 = Pies 53-69 Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Buckley will not be reappointed unless he proves himself worthy - which means Top 4. Regardless I trust Graham Wright has the smarts and influence to ensure the right decision is made on Buckley, whatever that may be.
Anyone thinking Wright was brought in try and prize clarko away from the hawks...

I think we'll be top 6, our new players will dictate if we go further, i wouldn't be surprised if we made a prelim.

Look at last season, Grundy/Treloar/Stevo/WHE stinking it up every single week, we ridded ourselves of 2 of those downhill skiers, no Sidebottom during finals, no Howe, we'll be thereabouts when push turns to shove.
Mate. We will prob be bottom 6. But without the first round pick to show for it...

Our midfield and forward line are bottom 4.
Confidence will be even further shot after that game. Well and truly in rebuild phase now

I love Naughton but he doesn’t seem a natural forward to me. Great leap and hands gets him far but he lacks forward craft. How many goals does he kick from picking it up off the deck or general play etc?

I agree with sr36 - he will be a superb CHB, but probably only a good and occasionally exciting forward (not a direct quote but my understanding of how he sees it).

Its why you teach your smalls to be front and center at his feet, how many off the ground goals did Anthony Rocca kick? What about Plugga? What about Lloyd?

At CHF Naughton will create the target and contests needed for the dogs mids and smalls to feed off then launch inside 50 to the main man JUH.

It’s not one game, it’s a continuation of the last 12months. We played the same and have the exact same issues. midfield soundly beaten, can’t score, same passengers

I'd argue it goes all the way back to 2019 that's when a philosophy in game style changed from 2018 and the lower scored more chip style footy came in.

Let's be honest here. The only positives on the night was Darcy Moore, he was scary good and the defense which held up so much better with the return of Howe.

The issue I see here is with Greenwood, Mayne and Sidey the only players missing from our 'best 22' it's going to be a long year unless the likes of Grundy, Adams & De Goey lift. First game done, let's see how we measure up against the Blues on Thursday. Another L will mean extreme pressure not only the players but the coach as we have a tough draw in the first 5-6 rounds.

Let's be honest here. The only positives on the night was Darcy Moore, he was scary good and the defense which held up so much better with the return of Howe.

The issue I see here is with Greenwood, Mayne and Sidey the only players missing from our 'best 22' it's going to be a long year unless the likes of Grundy, Adams & De Goey lift. First game done, let's see how we measure up against the Blues on Thursday. Another L will mean extreme pressure not only the players but the coach as we have a tough draw in the first 5-6 rounds.

The issue i see is there are 2 trains of thought those who want to play for the now and struggle and claw for maybe a 6th to 8th spot.

Vs those who want to bite the bullet and get the rebuild started and looking to the future. Blooding and mixing some 1st 2nd and 3rd years through.

Defaulting back to Mayne JT WHE Greenwood etc whilst might help the odd win it slows the transition to the likes of Bianco Rantall Wilson Keane McCreery McGuiness McMahon Macrea Henry Poulter etc etc getting games into them (when ready).

Safety boring and dour damage mitigation vs exciting and refreshing the 22. I would wager the win loss wouldn't be too far apart if done well either.

There was 1 other positive - there are only 21 games of this 10 year nightmare to go.

greenwood and Mayne aren't best 22 any more, but perfect for the sub

I think we'll be top 6, our new players will dictate if we go further, i wouldn't be surprised if we made a prelim.

Look at last season, Grundy/Treloar/Stevo/WHE stinking it up every single week, we ridded ourselves of 2 of those downhill skiers, no Sidebottom during finals, no Howe, we'll be thereabouts when push turns to shove.

So in your mind is that making up the numbers or actually contending?, is making up the numbers ok in your mind?

There's plenty on here who seem to think that 'making finals' is some sort of success and is ok, that's not f*n ok.

Good see you continue to lack simple comprehension.
Please quote where I’ve said pace was undesirable.

You said "you can’t blame Hines for not having predicted the increased need for pace in 2021. We have not lacked pace in recent years. "

There is no need for increased pace.

Pace has always been a valuable commodity.

Do I have to explain everything?

PS. And the reason we have not lacked pace is because of Treloar and Stephenson. Who strangely aren't there anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safety boring and dour damage mitigation vs exciting and refreshing the 22. I would wager the win loss wouldn't be too far apart if done well either.

And the latter is something to build with, the former is doing the same over and over and expecting a different result - it's going nowhere.

You said "you can’t blame Hines for not having predicted the increased need for pace in 2021. We have not lacked pace in recent years. "

There is no need for increased pace.

Pace has always been a valuable commodity.

Do I have to explain everything?

PS. And the reason we have not lacked pace is because of Treloar and Stephenson. Who strangely aren't there anymore.

So clearly I did NOT say pace was undesirable as you suggest.
And yes it was because of Treloar and Stevo as was implicit in my post.

There was 1 other positive - there are only 21 games of this 10 year nightmare to go.

And what is it that gives everyone around here the confidence that we're going to automatically improve?, that will be sustained?, and ultimately lead to a flag?

Is there any evidence that a coaching panel of any credence is going to want to come here? Is there any evidence that whatever coaching panel we get (if we indeed get another) will change the game style for the better?

The negatives, of which there is an abundance, have been well covered on this forum so I will try be a bit more positive:

I thought both Mihocek and Cox looked in decent touch, deserved their goals and competed hard on a night in which the Mids got dominated. Those 2 with Elliot and De Goey with a Sidebottom or Pendlebury cameo are the bones of a solid forward line. Not a massive fan of Thomas but I didn't think he was in our worst 5 (though I suppose thats hardly a compliment). Clearly there is significant work required to remedy our forward line but I actually don't think we are as far off as it seems, we really need some younger options (either a smaller type like McCreery or a big like Kelly or Cameron) to show some form in the VFL, come in and contribute.

Darcy Moore is so so so good. Our defence in general is pretty incredible and to a man they performed admirably. Howe looked a bit rusty and Madgen isn't a perfect player but keeping the Dogs to just 69 points given their dominance of the play was a quality effort. Wouldn't mind seeing Murphy come in though.

The midfield was pretty poor and I just do not understand what the coaches are trying to achieve. Daicos was excellent on a wing last year, keep him there ffs. Tyler Brown has shown his best form when played as an inside midfielder and he needs to play in the centre rather than on the wing, his physical profile screams inside midfield. Don't mind Noble on the wing and I suspect our best wing combination is Daicos and Noble. Sier was very disappointing and I don't get what people see in him, but he hasn't had a proper run of games in the seniors since 2018, needs to be persisted with him for a couple of weeks to see if he can show something.

Ultimately it is a long season, the Bulldogs have a sublime midfield and whilst I agree with a lot of what's been said on this forum I do think that getting smashed by, frankly, a stronger team in round one isn't the end of the world. Having said all that, next week is a must win game.

Shambolic on every level. We only briefly stopped tripping ourselves up in order to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Credit to the umpires for also being laughably atrocious in ways which should be enshrined for future generations. Josh Thomas’ mark was a lovely example.
The new "stand" the mark rule is for 2 year olds.
When can we bury some of these arseholes in the AFL is shallow graves??
The interchange limit, again, conjured by morons.

The new "stand" the mark rule is for 2 year olds.
When can we bury some of these arseholes in the AFL is shallow graves??
The interchange limit, again, conjured by morons.
The new “stand” rule is shocking when you’re live at the game since it has an audible que literally no one in the stadium knows when it’s called.

Makes it a very frustrating experience for a spectator

And what is it that gives everyone around here the confidence that we're going to automatically improve?, that will be sustained?, and ultimately lead to a flag?

Is there any evidence that a coaching panel of any credence is going to want to come here? Is there any evidence that whatever coaching panel we get (if we indeed get another) will change the game style for the better?
Heavens above!!! I thought I was a Negative Nellie!! I'm a Positive Pete compared to you.

I hope someone has hidden all the sharp implements at your house.

You make it sound like that's acceptable in any way shape or form for a mediocre player to end up making double the average wage.

Average wage was reportedly just under $400k pre-covid reductions. Doubt he was ever on close to $750-800K.

I love Naughton but he doesn’t seem a natural forward to me. Great leap and hands gets him far but he lacks forward craft. How many goals does he kick from picking it up off the deck or general play etc?

I agree with sr36 - he will be a superb CHB, but probably only a good and occasionally exciting forward (not a direct quote but my understanding of how he sees it).
Lots of Dogs fans agree with you. We're looking forward to JUH coming in and if Bruce learns how to kick straight again Naughton to CHB. Our futures looking rosey.
Darcey Moore was a wall in defense, stopped us repeatedly friday night, which kept you guys in with a sniff. A real toss up for BOG for mine, but Smith being on the winning side probably swung it. Darcey Moore was outstanding.
Hope you guys dont mind the intrusion, good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back