Review Round 10, 2024 vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Was mentioned he was on light duties during the week. Could be a back issue.

Definitely looked like burton couldn’t bend over, I would have put money on it seeing what I saw so to hear there was rumour he’s got a back issue makes absolute sense.

Why are we playing him if he’s not fit ffs. Get him right.

Bergman could be our worst at ground balls. He has no burst of power and takes forever to pick the ball up. Burton would be our worst if he went for the ball. As above poster says not huge fan of Jones but get him the hell back so we can drop Burton. We are to too top heavy up forward. One of Dixon, Marshall, Georgie, Finlayson have to go. Giving more forward time to JHF, Butters & Rozee.

This is a weird take.

Bergman is good to very good at ground balls, and has a burst of power. Are you confusing him with someone else here? Did you mean to write Burton?

Also, we’re not remotely top heavy. Mitch Todd and fin are as capable ground level players as anyone you want to replace them with (which is who exactly? Evans?). We’re much better off having afl calibre talls in than sanfl level smalls.

Also there’s no need to move butters or rozee forward and jhf should be in the midfield as long as his legs allow him to be.

Dante was absolutely destroyed by Meek and it wasn't until Dixon went into the ruck that we got back in the game.

Needs another 3 years in the gym and plenty of time in the SANFL. Until he can outbody Strachnie he should be playing 2s

Dante is still finding his feet at this level and not a consistent 4 qtr player but neither is sweet.

It’s not like we’re choosing Dante over a clearly better or younger player.

We could play any 3 youngsters in the side and they’d offer as much as Georgiades and Finlayson (and perhaps Marshall).

So we should :)

Hawthorn +31 in the first quarter (Hawthorn +31) - Port 4 inside 50s to Hawthorn 17
Port +9 in the second quarter (Hawthorn +22) - Port 11 inside 50s to Hawthorn 13
Hawthorn +6 in the third quarter (Hawthorn +28) - Port 13 inside 50s to Hawthorn 10
Port +29 in the last quarter (Port +1) - Port 20 inside 50s to Hawthorn 8

"They knew they were going to beat us no matter how we started the game....they just knew we were gonna fold and they were gonna come back and beat us."

Pressure rating of 211 for the entire game is ranked elite for Port Adelaide, so it's not like we weren't putting in effort - it was just that Hawthorn were spreading harder and getting to more contests in that first quarter - they matched our pressure of 184. Hawthorn had +13 inside 50s in the first quarter and led ground ball gets by 13 going into the last quarter...but ended up with an equalling inside 50s (48) and just winning in ground balls (+1).

Hawthorn didn't stop - they were just gassed.

I’ve just watched the last 5 minutes. I already knew the score. I simply didn’t know when we scored.

We were 12pts behind; then, soon, 11pts. The clock kept ticking (-11), and ticking (-11), and ticking (-11)…

How on earth did we win this?! 😱

If we play like that when it matters we won't get near it.

But if we can find a decent game style between now and finals then these are the sort if wins that can be the difference between top 4 or a home final and not.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we play like that when it matters we won't get near it.

But if we can find a decent game style between now and finals then these are the sort if wins that can be the difference between top 4 or a home final and not.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Aren't you forgetting something?

Hawthorn should be kicking themselves. They were the better team for the large majority of the game. Kicked their goals with a lot more ease playing fast and efficient footy. Port’s goals looked more laboured in comparison.

At the end of the day winners are grinners

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So disappointing to face off against an opponent who is a bottom of the ladder rebuilding club miles away from competing and have to pull a come from behind win that confirms we’re not good enough to win anything important this year.

The come from behind win was enjoyable to watch, but gee I would swap 100 of those for one chance at some real silverware.

Jhf has been huge lately , like take the comp by the scruff of the neck huge.

Marshall was our only remotely competitive kf today, made things happen out of very little chances.

Mitch couldn’t get near it. Dixon was so poor forward, he’s completely done. Gave us a much better look in ruck when there tho. Finny was poor, couldn’t get near it then when he did just blazed away wildly.

Butters was huge. He tries to do to much, and I’ve said this for the past decade, it’s what hinkleys gameplan demands of our stars, it demands they perform miracles and they run themselves into the ground trying to give us them regularly. It’s a clear pattern.

Houston dangerous.

So many passengers tonight.

Alir is in career worst form for our club anyway. When everyone said bringing in new talls was gonna make him better I cautioned that it may not be the case. I just don’t think Alir rat and zerk are a good mix at all, maybe they’ll sort it out, but I have some doubts.

This brings me to Bergman. I think he’s going well in a wing role that is hard to shine in… but gee we are missing him as a backman. He was so important to us there last year.

At just about any other club tho I say that Bergman would be training up as an onballer and getting singled out as a future gun. Certisnly if he was at hawks he would be getting a tonne of midfield time. We just can’t fit him in there yet and playing him on the wing before moving him in there post boak and wines going seems like a reasonable plan tho.. but gee, he’s an elite shutdown defender who can play all-round. It’s a pickle.

So disappointing to face off against an opponent who is a bottom of the ladder rebuilding club miles away from competing and have to pull a come from behind win that confirms we’re not good enough to win anything important this year.

The come from behind win was enjoyable to watch, but gee I would swap 100 of those for one chance at some real silverware.

Jhf has been huge lately , like take the comp by the scruff of the neck huge.

Marshall was our only remotely competitive kf today, made things happen out of very little chances.

Mitch couldn’t get near it. Dixon was so poor forward, he’s completely done. Gave us a much better look in ruck when there tho. Finny was poor, couldn’t get near it then when he did just blazed away wildly.

Butters was huge. He tries to do to much, and I’ve said this for the past decade, it’s what hinkleys gameplan demands of our stars, it demands they perform miracles and they run themselves into the ground trying to give us them regularly. It’s a clear pattern.

Houston dangerous.

So many passengers tonight.

Alir is in career worst form for our club anyway. When everyone said bringing in new talls was gonna make him better I cautioned that it may not be the case. I just don’t think Alir rat and zerk are a good mix at all, maybe they’ll sort it out, but I have some doubts.

This brings me to Bergman. I think he’s going well in a wing role that is hard to shine in… but gee we are missing him as a backman. He was so important to us there last year.

At just about any other club tho I say that Bergman would be training up as an onballer and getting singled out as a future gun. Certisnly if he was at hawks he would be getting a tonne of midfield time. We just can’t fit him in there yet and playing him on the wing before moving him in there post boak and wines going seems like a reasonable plan tho.. but gee, he’s an elite shutdown defender who can play all-round. It’s a pickle.

Marshall was shit

I'm so disillusioned. Just so sick of us fronting up & not being ready to play. We are so bipolar. Didn't turn up for the Crows game (& both games last year) then we pull off a great win against the Cats then don't turn up for the Hawks. This team does not have the mental fortitude to win consecutive finals. It relies on the brilliance of a few players to beat weaker teams. I just want to watch a team of hardened pros that can be relied upon to deliver a 4 qtr effort.

With 6’07” to go in Q3, Hawthorn goals.

Scoreboard
Port 5.7:37
Haw 12.6:78

From there to FT:
Port 6.7:43
Haw 0.1:1

Rocket League Idk GIF by G2 Esports

I said at 3/4 time to my mate Chad WinGOAT who I went to the game with, that Port would need a Paul Stewart 2012 vs Kangaroos type comeback if they were to have a chance tonight.

Not only did it happen, but it turns out that 2012 comeback also happened on May 19. 12 years ago to the day!

Zak Butters Q4: 17 disposals, 7 contested possessions, 5 clearances, 5 I50s, 4 score involvements. Had more player rating points (12.1) than 34 players managed for the whole game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back