Review Round 10: Collingwood 50-41 Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In summary, he can accept a $500 sanction with an early plea.

F me, may as well just make him buy the coffees for the team after next training session.
Put another zero on it and players like him will think twice.

Three down on the bench, and you chose to ignore, let alone give credit for the ADDITIONAL effort needed to overcome this massive disadvantage.
I think you’ve totally missed the mark on this issue.

How many times in 2018 did we go down 1 or 2 rotations and still win well?

You can argue that all day long, does not change the fact that effort is mandatory, and should not be viewed as a 'positive'.

So no I haven't missed the mark, only one game have we not put in the required effort. Every other game the effort is their, the game style is not AFL standard.

You can argue that all day long, does not change the fact that effort is mandatory, and should not be viewed as a 'positive'.

So no I haven't missed the mark, only one game have we not put in the required effort. Every other game the effort is their, the game style is not AFL standard.
You don’t see it as a positive, others do. Move on.

You’ve missed the mark - 3 down on the bench is a massive disadvantage to over come - that we have previously managed to overcome similar circumstances does not detract from the ADDITIONAL effort required at those times either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put another zero on it and players like him will think twice.
It's a rarity do be fined for staging but what a deterrent $500 is. Can't see anyone doing it again :oops:.

I'm not surprised with the on field decision though considering the ump that blew the whistle. The system is rediculous and the AFL has dropped the ball today. Pocket change for a guilty, cheating action of staging and a slap on the wrist for a confirmed illegal boot that caused major damage to another player.

Our system has mostly been based on the outcome of an action and here we have 1) Illegal footwear/Intent & 2)Major injury with unknown weeks sidelined/Outcome. Yet nothing to see hear from the AFL.

Collingwood have snapped a two-game losing streak in unconvincing fashion to win against Sydney by 9 points. The Magpies trailed by as much as 14 points approaching Half Time, before Jamie Elliott's goal after the siren reduced the deficit to 8 points at the main break. For the majority of the first half, the Woods dominated field position without scoring a single goal in the opening term, with all six of their scoring shots (0.6.6) resulting in behinds. The second term had a marginally better return (2.4.16), yet the Swans won that quarter convincingly with conversion on the scoreboard. After half time, Collingwood were able to kick 3 goals (3.1.19) and kept Sydney goalless (0.2.2) for the quarter to not only regain the lead by 9 points, they were able to wrestle back control and momentum heading into the final term. The last quarter was dour with very simple goals missed by both sides, before the Woods fought out the final stages of the last quarter with just one rotation on the interchange bench. A miraculous goal at the death ultimately gave the Magpies a very welcome victory to keep their heads above water.

Collingwood won the bulk of the statistical categories on offer with disposals won by +91 (332 - 241), kicks by +28 (182 - 154), +63 for handballs (150 - 87), contested possessions were won by +26 (134 - 108), and uncontested possessions had an advantage of +67 (190 - 123). Hit-outs had a differential of +9 (33 - 24), clearances were +10 (34 - 24), with stoppage clearances won by +13 (28 - 15), intercept possessions were won by +11 (70 - 59), +6 for marks (70 - 64), with a margin of +17 for uncontested marks (68 - 51), and Inside 50s were won commandingly by +17 (50 - 33), which was not a true reflection of Collingwood's dominance on the scoreboard. Sydney's gains came from centre clearances by +3 (9 - 6), +12 for tackles (75 - 63), Tackles Inside 50 was +1 (10 - 9), Contested Marks were +11 (13 - 2), and Marks Inside 50 had a differential of +1 (6 - 5).

Taylor Adams (29 disposals @ 45%, 456 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 12 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) stood up to the plate when the heat was on throughout the entire game. Ball use was an issue, yet his ferocity inside the contest gave his team enough opportunities to score.

Adam Treloar (25 disposals @ 60%, 276 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 14 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50's) accumulated disposals once again inside three quarters without doing much damage against the Swans, before injuring his hamstring. See you soon, Adam.

Josh Daicos (25 disposals @ 68%, 501 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 1 goal) had his finest game of his career, with his most important goal for the club eventuating with almost three minutes left. His ability to execute that banana from the pocket to give the Magpies breathing space could be a season-defining moment for the club going forward.

Brayden Sier (23 disposals @ 70%, 232 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 8 clearances, 7 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) played his best game of the season, with his bullocking work from stoppages complimented Adams nicely.

Tom Phillips (20 disposals @ 60%, 350 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 6 handballs, 6 marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) found a bit of touch on the wing without very much scoreboard impact.

Brodie Grundy (16 disposals @ 62%, 12 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 32 hit-outs, 4 kicks, 12 handballs, 7 tackles, 3 score involvements, 6 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) lifted vastly in the second half to give his midfield plenty of looks at stoppages.

Brayden Maynard (19 disposals @ 58%, 305 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) imposed himself on the contest when he won the ball to give his side territory. Solid game, without being overly dominant.

Jordan Roughead (18 disposals @ 61%, 113 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 9 handballs & 6 marks) accumulated disposals without very much risk. Chose the safe and easy option for most of the match.

Jack Madgen (16 disposals @ 88%, 184 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 7 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles & 4 Rebound 50's) played his best game for the club. Decided to be aggressive and took a few risks coming out of defence.

Jack Crisp (15 disposals @ 53%, 325 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) had a reasonable night on transitioning the footy from defence. Tackling pressure was good, and worked off his opponent a handful of times to be involved in scoring chains.

John Noble (14 disposals @ 57%, 264 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 7 handballs, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had a lively first half, before scoring his first goal for the club at a crucial juncture in the match.

Steele Sidebottom (18 disposals @ 56%, 105 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 9 handballs, 3 marks, 8 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances & 3 stoppage clearances) had a modest game, but still applied plenty of tackles, and displayed his class when it was required.

Brody Mihocek (15 disposals @ 73%, 254 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 9 marks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 4 Inside 50s) worked very high on the wings to take his marks. Gave his side an option at every available opportunity.

Callum Brown (14 disposals @ 86%, 5 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 3 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles & 2 Inside 50's) showed his agility to weave through packs and dished off a lot of handpasses. I'd like him to create more scoring forays, and be able to take shots within close range of goal. Brown's not a very long kick, so if he can be dangerous within 25 metres to score goals, that would be great.

Jaidyn Stephenson (10 disposals @ 80%, 183 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) was unsighted in the first half, before an improved second half allowed him to impact the scoreboard without kicking any goals.

Jamie Elliott (10 disposals @ 60%, 225 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) had a couple of stints in the midfield without much impact, before going forward and scored a crucial goal on the half time siren to give the troops momentum.

Collingwood's next game will be against Adelaide on August 11 at the Adelaide Oval. The Magpies are not playing premiership footy right now, yet they will look to press their claims with a much better performance to claim victory over the Crows. At least three spots in the team are up for grabs with Hoskin-Elliott, Treloar & Quaynor ruled out of this game. Conversion of goals from forward entries will be the main focus heading into the game on Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/heather.bi...ucDhfP1E-aGTUrB2ygWLclatW7Phi-p&__tn__=<<,P-R

Positives: Daic's goal, that it, there is nothing else.
Don't rate Trey's first game as perhaps showing a little bit of promise and potential for the future?

Daicos having a lot of constructive possessions in the last q, when it mattered, to go with his match-sealing goal?

The team toughing it out remarkably with only ONE fit player on the bench for the last half of the 4th quarter?

You seem to be a hard poster to please.

You’ve missed the mark - 3 down on the bench is a massive disadvantage to over come - that we have previously managed to overcome similar circumstances does not detract from the ADDITIONAL effort required at those times either.

When you're down rotations ADDITIONAL effort is required, not a 'good boy well done'

Don't rate Trey's first game as perhaps showing a little bit of promise and potential for the future?

Daicos having a lot of constructive possessions in the last q, when it mattered, to go with his match-sealing goal?

The team toughing it out remarkably with only ONE fit player on the bench for the last half of the 4th quarter?

You seem to be a hard poster to please.

This is a review of yesterdays game, not about the future, I'm critical (constructively I might add) about our current form.

FWIW I haven't criticized the Bears game and see potential for Daics's future.

The team toughing out with 1 rotation is absolutely mandatory, a given, as it should be.

If you're happy with our performance last night then you're an easy supporter to please. Wouldn't be surprised if you view gf losses as a success, they're not they're failures.

Criticizing the way we're playing is not not constructive. Can you link one post in this review that is unwarranted i:e not constructive.
I'll suggest one for you to consider, although I would prefer not to call individual posters out. But seeing as you've asked, how about post 173 in this thread?

"Enjoy the win? Apart from Daicos’ goal, there is nothing to enjoy about that game.

Why do supporters need to become sheep and accept the status quo which goes on year after year without question?

I bet you like everyone want this team to succeed. Sure, teams have form slumps, periods where nothing goes right, and if it’s a rare occurrence then you can accept it. However to have this happen all too often for almost a decade bar one which was an outlier should not be allowed to continue. That means it’s a systematic issue at play whether it’s players or the coaching staff.

If you want mediocrity then so be it. I and others don’t. We have every right to criticise those that play and coach if this is the crap they continue to dish up time after time without fail".

That post seems the very opposite of constructive criticism. Constructive suggests building something up, i.e. balancing negatives with positives. The opposite is destructive, tearing things down. The quoted post minimises the positives, highlights and exaggerates the negatives and then draws a long bow in suggesting that anyone who disagrees is no more than a sheep, blindly following the club's line. And that we had a flukily lucky season in 2018, whereas in the decade around that the team has been rubbish. Nope, very little in the way of constructive criticism there.

That's one example but I'm sure I could point out others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back