Autopsy Round 15 = Collingwood 79-91 Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Had the better team on the field today, but severely out coached.

Edit: To add to this - that was the softest Collingwood defensively I have seen since 2017 and the offense was all over the place (as usual) but far too stagnant with a 3 tall forward structure. I was never a big Buckley fan but I'm certain this is a win with him in charge.

Last edited:

Grundy battles manfully and contributes a lot around the ground, loves the club, and tries his guts out... but we just get crunched in the clearances whenever he's in there.

In terms of ruck craft and contested grabs, the stuff you need a ruckman to provide, he's nowhere near the best in the AFL. He's not even the best on our list.

His contract will make our next half dozen years irrelevant unless we can find a way to move him on.

Not sure what the hell happens with us when Grundy plays. He played well don't get me wrong but geez we seem to play poorly as a midfield unit when he's in thr ruck. That last 15 minutes we were smashed through the middle and in the air.

3 talls experiment didn't work today. Too often they lead to the same spot and got in each other's way.
Ball then hits the deck and bounces out of the forward 50, where are our crumbers in this situation?

Not sure what the hell happens with us when Grundy plays. He played well don't get me wrong but geez we seem to play poorly as a midfield unit when he's in thr ruck. That last 15 minutes we were smashed through the middle and in the air.
I believe it's because he gets in their way at ground level, very few rucks are as mobile as he is and he is just one extra - big - body in the pack making it more congested.

3 talls experiment didn't work today. Too often they lead to the same spot and got in each other's way.
Ball then hits the deck and bounces out of the forward 50, where are our crumbers in this situation?
I don’t agree.
Cox missed two absolute sodas. Would have made a difference.
We really missed Darcy today.

I believe it's because he gets in their way at ground level, very few rucks are as mobile as he is and he is just one extra - big - body in the pack making it more congested.
Never looked at it like that, you may well be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter who coaches this side the skill level will always hold this side back. The delivery to the forward is pitiful, we never have anyone front and centre, and I’ve defended Madgen all the way, but today he was Freemantles best player and the difference between the 2 teams. He’s kicking and lack of effort at times cost us 5 goals. I totally agree that Grundy is on 200k too much but Taylor Adams can’t hit a target and hard work and determination will only get you so far. Over rated. His skills aren’t AFL standard.

This was always going to happen.
We have moved passed Cox hence why he hasnt been seen since round 4....
And we go back to him and become even worse in attack with his inclusion.

It's like Harvey knows Cox has more triggers in his contract and wants to get him there.

Pretty good effort in the end. They were cleaner and able to get the ball over the back.
Lots to like for the future.

We had a damn old team out there Jmac.

Noble - 24
Roughhead - 30
Sidebottom - 30
Pendlebury - 33
Mayne - 32
Cox - 30
Thomas - 29
Elliot - 28
Mihocek - 28
Magden - 27
WHE - 27
Adams - 27
Grundy - 27
Crisp - 27

Plus Cameron Maynard ect aren't young.

We haven't reached the bottom yet, it's still coming.

Disappointing result. We had some good patches, which corresponded to our pressure lifting, but our skills and defence in transition just let us down.

That Maynard free against turned the game, and was a shocking decision. But I won’t blame the umpires for the loss.

Pendlebury and Maynard were our best, Crisp was immense but butchered it a bit. Hoskin Elliott and Thomas both finding some form.

Grundy played well but he makes our midfield dysfunctional. We need to address this quickly… he needs to learn to find some range with his taps, otherwise we’ll continue fo get smashed in close.

Grundy is a ruck rover. Should of kept Lynch in with Grundy roaming around the ground.

Glad Longmuir didn’t stay to coach us. We’re no better but they have to be kidding playing that kind of footy and expecting to beat good sides, don’t they? That was close to our worst game of the year and we should have knocked them off.

Never looked at it like that, you may well be right.
It's something I've been wondering about for a while - he is just so unorthodox - would be better simply bashing it towards the half forward boundary rather than dropping it at his feet and roving it because the whole competition is awake to that tactic and simply block it up.

We had a damn old team out there Jmac.

Noble - 24
Roughhead - 30
Sidebottom - 30
Pendlebury - 33
Mayne - 32
Cox - 30
Thomas - 29
Elliot - 28
Mihocek - 28
Magden - 27
WHE - 27
Adams - 27
Grundy - 27
Crisp - 27

Plus Cameron Maynard ect aren't young.

We haven't reached the bottom yet, it's still coming.
We will make finals next year. Bookmark that!

Glad Longmuir didn’t stay to coach us. We’re no better but they have to be kidding playing that kind of footy and expecting to beat good sides, don’t they? That was close to our worst game of the year and we should have knocked them off.
Would take him back as a defensive coach but yeah.

No matter who coaches this side the skill level will always hold this side back. The delivery to the forward is pitiful, we never have anyone front and centre, and I’ve defended Madgen all the way, but today he was Freemantles best player and the difference between the 2 teams. He’s kicking and lack of effort at times cost us 5 goals. I totally agree that Grundy is on 200k too much but Taylor Adams can’t hit a target and hard work and determination will only get you so far. Over rated. His skills aren’t AFL standard.
Yes Madge is horrendous this year but wrong on being Freo's best - that goes to Crisp who had an absolute mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t agree.
Cox missed two absolute sodas. Would have made a difference.
We really missed Darcy today.

He did, and I'm not saying it can't work, but it didn't work today. I counted at least 3 times when our talls went for the same ball, doing the defenders work for them.

Yeah we did miss Darcy and Murphy couldn't fill that roll like they hoped. I would have liked to have Murphy shifted to the wing, and Cameron down back as the third tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back