Autopsy Round 15 = Collingwood 79-91 Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

The free kick against maynard was an error. We all know this. Umpires give automatic freekicks in certain situations - front on contact even when the player taking the mark initiates the contact..... another one is head-high contact, even when the player chooses to duck his head into contact....

The umpires just see the contact and give a free kick.... no questions asked.

it's all best forgotten about....talking about it is as useful as discussing wayne harmes
Venting can be healthy.

There is one clearly wrong decision there. Should have paid a free against Salem. The Maynard decision was more line ball but I don't have a problem with what the ump said. If you run in with back to the ball and try to spoil with only a minimal look at the ball the rub of the green will go against you. When it happened I thought it was a free. Maynard lost it and cost us but I love the guy and his passion so move on. Happy with the umps on the weekend

There is one clearly wrong decision there. Should have paid a free against Salem. The Maynard decision was more line ball but I don't have a problem with what the ump said. If you run in with back to the ball and try to spoil with only a minimal look at the ball the rub of the green will go against you. When it happened I thought it was a free. Maynard lost it and cost us but I love the guy and his passion so move on. Happy with the umps on the weekend
Did you shrug off the non decision in 2018? I'm glad Maynard still burns in his guts every time he thinks about it. I like a player who hurts when he is wronged and it allows another flag slip from our hands.

So now we are okay with frees getting paid because the player had no eyes on the ball but made no contact. Turning into netball.

Largely agree GC, totally in support of the Bruzzy love. How can you not be in step with a guy that can play, gives his all and just brings that on the edge competitiveness and physicality. Would hope he is elevated to the leadership group next year.

On umpiring, I just think the game needs to re adjust its approach. Not referring to the above video's, but HQ objective must be the get every decision correct with rules/actions/support/technology/training in line to achieve it. I]m in the camp to not pile on the umps but rather to support them.

Technology obvious suits the start stop games like tennis and cricket but the continuous sports like Soccer and R League have more recently introduced it.
Think our game can do more than goal reviews, which by and large has been good. Perhaps the captains calls should be considered?
I think it would add drama as the at game fans look at the screens as would the home viewers, goal reviews always sharpen your attention to the TV.

It is the premier code in the nation and i think the notion that bad decisions even out, everyone makes mistakes umps included etc is just a starting postion of a bygone era and it's a view that by definition is counter to improvement.

So you are saying that a guy like maynard who runs close to a player who is trying to take a mark, should be given a free kick against him if the player taking the mark reaches out and touches maynard? That would be bizarre. Maynard put one arm up to block the ball and it didnt touch the freo player and his other arm went forward to balance the two arms coming towards him from the freo player....but it didnt touch the freo player.

Put simply, Maynard didnt touch the freo player. The freo player pushed him in the chest..

And yet you agree with the decision?? lol. I think i got sucked in

So you prefer Cox and Madgen instead of Kelly and Keane that I quoted on
Settle down I prefer a balanced list and all that entails.
As I said in the post Melbourne went down the full youngster playing track and were a total train wreck for years.
I won't reply to any response because I've said all I will say to you on this subject.

Pfft, he should be playing for free clearly if you ask some.

No one is saying this. We all know Grundy is a great player. Some people just think he has a weakness with his ruck work, even though he excels in many other areas.

Now that our season is probably over, I don’t see anything wrong if the club decided to experiment with him playing in a different position.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

This is an interesting conversation, in that there's speculation about how much Grundy is being paid exactly. The debate should be about is he earning his coin, a player on around $900k or more or a little less whatever.

Grundy. Is. Not. Earning. Anywhere. Near. That.

Nic Nat and Gawn are having more impact, I would argue that guys like Lycett, Hickey, Ryder and Marshall are having as much influence as Brody if not more but are likely not getting the same coin.

That sort of money is a regular match winner like Dusty, we ain't getting it from Brody, he's not impacting games like he should for the money he's getting, the speculation on exactly how much is not relevant.
🥱

So you are saying that a guy like maynard who runs close to a player who is trying to take a mark, should be given a free kick against him if the player taking the mark reaches out and touches maynard? That would be bizarre. Maynard put one arm up to block the ball and it didnt touch the freo player and his other arm went forward to balance the two arms coming towards him from the freo player....but it didnt touch the freo player.

Put simply, Maynard didnt touch the freo player. The freo player pushed him in the chest..

And yet you agree with the decision?? lol. I think i got sucked in
No I am saying in real time watching the match it was a line ball decision. Maynard puts his right arm out also and it’s hard to tell whether he makes contact also in slo mo. Real time I can understand the decision. There are some decisions I will think are blatantly bad this wasn’t one.

I wished Bruzzy stayed cool but I bet GWS hope Toby G didn’t go over the edge at times but not at the expense of playing on the edge .

It happened I’m over it.

No I am saying in real time watching the match it was a line ball decision. Maynard puts his right arm out also and it’s hard to tell whether he makes contact also in slo mo. Real time I can understand the decision. There are some decisions I will think are blatantly bad this wasn’t one.

I wished Bruzzy stayed cool but I bet GWS hope Toby G didn’t go over the edge at times but not at the expense of playing on the edge .

It happened I’m over it.

So you're saying the umpire guessed?

So IF you look at a Player like Maynard did running back it should be a Automatic Free Kick even IF they don't get Touched?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It happened I’m over it.
What happened was that Bruzzy almost had his windpipe smashed in by the hand ON his windpipe whilst NO PART of his body was yet in contact with his opponent.
THAT is clear.

Max Gawn: 18.64 disposals, 5.71 marks, 8 goals, 41 hit outs, 2.57 tackles, 10.78 contested poss,
Brodie Grundy: 19.27 disposals, 3.18 marks, 7 goals, 35.36 hit outs, 4.63 tackles, 12.45 contested poss

Similar stats this year. Gawn ahead on hit outs and marks,
Grundy ahead on possessions and tackles.

Interested to understand how you view Gawn as being more impactful?

On face value having more influence on games, certainly over the year.

Fair effort by the boys to get back into it in the last quarter, I thought Freo were keeping us at arms length fairly comfortably from 10 mins in, through to end of third quarter.

A kick in the teeth to lose it like that in the end though, let's hope we keep the pressure up for the Saints this week

So you're saying the umpire guessed?
Interpreted. Like they do all the time. Sometimes things are pretty clear, sometimes a view is obscured, sometimes there is a fair bit of grey

Even when there is grey they have to make a split second decision.

Interpreted. Like they do all the time. Sometimes things are pretty clear, sometimes a view is obscured, sometimes there is a fair bit of grey

Even when there is grey they have to make a split second decision.
True, and on this occasion the ump got it wrong.

It happened I’m over it.

i disagree... watch a match in slo-mo and you could 50 technical free kick a quarter.... That call was a mistake based on umpires being programmed to stop front on contact but in this case, the freo player made the contact. Maynard made a mistake not giving the ball back. The two are separate.

No, there were two wrong decisions. Maynard was hard done by, but errors do happen too.
You can run toward an opponent to spoil and put your hand up to try and touch the ball as he did. Umpire was trigger happy in anticipation and got it wrong as the contact was made by his opponent only.
Maynard remonstrated, watched the replay for vindication and handed the ball back. I think it's almost impossible for a hard at it/heart and soul player like Maynard not to express disappointment with the decision, particularly at a critical part of the game. He didn't threaten the umpire nor get in his face. The decision was wrong and the penalty harsh under the circumstances where a guaranteed goal was provided in a close match and against the run of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back