Autopsy Round 3 = Collingwood 91-104 Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointing out Madgens defensive deficiencies is hardly blaming him directly for the loss. Everyone here is well aware of why we were overrun in the 4th. Madgen was a part of that reason though, and consistently makes the same mistakes every week.
Henry is cut some slack because he has a handful of games to his name, and should get better with more experience. Madge is experienced enough to know better than to make the basic defensive errors he constantly makes, which is why he cops so much criticism.

Btw, it’s hilarious that a forum nerd thinks he has a better grasp on game analysis than one of the best, if not the best coach of the past 20 years to not win a flag. Gave me a good laugh, so thx for that.

You can think what ya want. I’m a bloke that’s never won a premiership in the AFL, same as Lyon. His analyse of Magdens deficiencies is hilarious. And also explains to me why Luke Ball so easily found fault with his game plan at StK. He’s just not the sharpest analyst going around

And he was a head coach - not an analyst. Cause that requires watching the whole game and breaking it down in context. Just showing Magden caught out - with out showing pendleburys shit kick which caused the turnover - we’ll that’s just amateur hour. Main stream media styles. Lyons clearly no ****ing idea what he’s talking about

Again I’ve not won shit as an AFL coach - same as Lyon - but I’m able to watch the tape and rewatched games of football and see exactly why things broke down.

Lyon on the other hand simply can’t and sold out to be on nine and be a useless talking head on footy classified. Honestly, if that’s what Lyon took from the Cats game - that Magden isn’t an All Australian key defender… wow. Well done genius. How bout looking at the root cause muppet as opposed to the last line of defence

What cost collingwood vs wce?? Was it Magden getting caught out again?? Or the mids and HFF failing again?? Yeah thought so baby. Our issues aren’t one bloke in defence but you continue thinking Lyon knows what he’s talking bout- that’s why Carlton hired him with out an interview…

Oh wait they didn’t… wonder why

Last edited:
Yep he is horrible. Always behind his man and is slow as shit so never can gain on his opponent.
Lyon got that second one wrong. No-one got back to the Geelong guy who'd snuck into the clear on the attacking side of the pack, so Madge had to try to close that space as well as the space Cameron was in. That was the half backs getting sucked into the pack unnecessarily - or perhaps stuffing up rotations so they didn't know who was meant to fill that hole.

Not good when opposition coaches are calling your gameplan unsustainable, its proving to be true though.

Pointing out Madgens defensive deficiencies is hardly blaming him directly for the loss. Everyone here is well aware of why we were overrun in the 4th. Madgen was a part of that reason though, and consistently makes the same mistakes every week.
Henry is cut some slack because he has a handful of games to his name, and should get better with more experience. Madge is experienced enough to know better than to make the basic defensive errors he constantly makes, which is why he cops so much criticism.

Btw, it’s hilarious that a forum nerd thinks he has a better grasp on game analysis than one of the best, if not the best coach of the past 20 years to not win a flag. Gave me a good laugh, so thx for that.
Hahaha sorry just re-read your garbage. Madgen has played 44 games ffs. He’s not even played 50. We cut players slack that play under 50 don’t we??

I’m glad I gave you a laugh, cause all I did was accurately report on what happen on the tape. I went back and saw mids and HFFs make mistake after mistake.

The only defender that ****ed up time and again was Quaynor.

No worries bud glad to keep calling out the truth while you sit around lapping up the garbage “experts” on footy classified are banging out … that’s why Fly played Madgen against vs wce and he was actually ****ing awesome on Ryan… but yeah you and Lyon know best hahaha like I said - if what Lyon took away from that cats game was that Magden got caught out twice and cost goals - he’s a clearly ****ing idiot and no wonder Carlton didn’t hire him

Last edited:

Not good when opposition coaches are calling your gameplan unsustainable, its proving to be true though.

Hahaha not sustainable. Jesus. We are 4 games in. We are finding what our limits are. This is what Malthouses first year in 2000 was about. Chris Scott. Yeah, not the bloke I’d look too for advice on winning premierships or finals.

Yep let’s look to a guy that for 3/4s had his ass handed to him by fly. A team built to have won at least 2 flags in the last 5 years. Self serving much.

For 4 games

In game 4, the guy who is averaging 2nd in score involvements in the AFL (JDG) is out.

Since 2011, Chris Scott is the biggest under achieving coach in history. Geelong, without Kardinia Park, are an average team going no where. Old tired legs. If Melbournes fit - they’ll belt them by 10 goals in finals.

Yeah our 4th qtrs ain’t good. But it ain’t a fitness issue. It’s being young and making stupid decisions and our older players screwing up between the arcs

Last edited:

Ignoring our current goal kicking inaccuracy and defensive structure…

I sense Buckley moved away from this attacking game plan after we were gave up a 5 goal lead in the ‘18 GF. He over corrected to an ultra defensive style.

Similarly McRae has over corrected back to an ultra attacking style.

Hopefully we can find something in between and develop gears overtime.

Ignoring our current goal kicking inaccuracy and defensive structure…

I sense Buckley moved away from this attacking game plan after we were gave up a 5 goal lead in the ‘18 GF. He over corrected to an ultra defensive style.

Similarly McRae has over corrected back to an ultra attacking style.

Hopefully we can find something in between and develop gears overtime.
Too early to say with Mcrae. In order to switch to this new attacking style so quickly and effectively, he would have had to drill nothing else. Once the style is locked in we may begin to add some slower gears at times.

You can think what ya want. I’m a bloke that’s never won a premiership in the AFL, same as Lyon. His analyse of Magdens deficiencies is hilarious. And also explains to me why Luke Ball so easily found fault with his game plan at StK. He’s just not the sharpest analyst going around

And he was a head coach - not an analyst. Cause that requires watching the whole game and breaking it down in context. Just showing Magden caught out - with out showing pendleburys shit kick which caused the turnover - we’ll that’s just amateur hour. Main stream media styles. Lyons clearly no ******* idea what he’s talking about

Again I’ve not won shit as an AFL coach - same as Lyon - but I’m able to watch the tape and rewatched games of football and see exactly why things broke down.

Lyon on the other hand simply can’t and sold out to be on nine and be a useless talking head on footy classified. Honestly, if that’s what Lyon took from the Cats game - that Magden isn’t an All Australian key defender… wow. Well done genius. How bout looking at the root cause muppet as opposed to the last line of defence

What cost collingwood vs wce?? Was it Magden getting caught out again?? Or the mids and HFF failing again?? Yeah thought so baby. Our issues aren’t one bloke in defence but you continue thinking Lyon knows what he’s talking bout- that’s why Carlton hired him with out an interview…

Oh wait they didn’t… wonder why
Mate, you haven’t done anything as a bootstudder at an AFL club, let alone been a coach. Stop pretending like you’ve got a better grasp on the game than Lyon just because he missed out on a premiership by a single point.

Hahaha sorry just re-read your garbage. Madgen has played 44 games ffs. He’s not even played 50. We cut players slack that play under 50 don’t we??

I’m glad I gave you a laugh, cause all I did was accurately report on what happen on the tape. I went back and saw mids and HFFs make mistake after mistake.

The only defender that f’ed up time and again was Quaynor.

No worries bud glad to keep calling out the truth while you sit around lapping up the garbage “experts” on footy classified are banging out … that’s why Fly played Madgen against vs wce and he was actually ******* awesome on Ryan… but yeah you and Lyon know best hahaha like I said - if what Lyon took away from that cats game was that Magden got caught out twice and cost goals - he’s a clearly ******* idiot and no wonder Carlton didn’t hire him
Thanks for the follow up Mr Madgen. I’m sure your son will do very well in the VFL this week. It’s his level after all.

Just did analysis on footy classified of the game with Cats , Jack Madgen was highlighted and how far off his opponent he stood ,on multiple occasions, cost us at least 4 goals from basic non positioning as a so called backman , or should that be Hackman , he is terrible, and with Leppitsch as defensive coach , I’m sure he’ll be snarling. Another scrap heap footballer that’s gotta go
Maybe he was just following Leppitsch's instructions in standing off his man.

Hahaha not sustainable. Jesus. We are 4 games in. We are finding what our limits are. This is what Malthouses first year in 2000 was about. Chris Scott. Yeah, not the bloke I’d look too for advice on winning premierships or finals.

Yep let’s look to a guy that for 3/4s had his ass handed to him by fly. A team built to have won at least 2 flags in the last 5 years. Self serving much.

For 4 games

In game 4, the guy who is averaging 2nd in score involvements in the AFL (JDG) is out.

Since 2011, Chris Scott is the biggest under achieving coach in history. Geelong, without Kardinia Park, are an average team going no where. Old tired legs. If Melbournes fit - they’ll belt them by 10 goals in finals.

Yeah our 4th qtrs ain’t good. But it ain’t a fitness issue. It’s being young and making stupid decisions and our older players screwing up between the arcs
Right, gottya. Let's just ignore any critical analysis of our playing style and team structure and pretend that our 2 losses were honourable and understandable. FFS what is the point of watching any of these panels of 'experts' if you are just going to dismiss anything negative they say about Collingwood? Call Chris Scott what you like, but his team came from behind and won, then we were humiliated by a team missing about 9 best players.

Right, gottya. Let's just ignore any critical analysis of our playing style and team structure and pretend that our 2 losses were honourable and understandable. FFS what is the point of watching any of these panels of 'experts' if you are just going to dismiss anything negative they say about Collingwood? Call Chris Scott what you like, but his team came from behind and won, then we were humiliated by a team missing about 9 best players.
You’re not allowed to be critical on bigfooty it upset too many posters

Maybe he was just following Leppitsch's instructions in standing off his man.
The thing was the most dangerous space was in the space between the pack and Madge and where a Cat had already snuck into without anyone covering. Someone else needed to get there for him to go to Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what happens if we were 11 goals 4 at half time vs Geelong instead of 4 goals 11? Ditto vs WC we had another lopsided scoring points instead of goals.

We should of won both games with many of the points gettable goals.

The gameplan put us in a winnable position but execution in front of goal is the issue.

on top of that we have a team of 2 extremes very old seniors and very young juniors, with only a handful in the sweet spot age wise.

Lastly it’s year 1 of a new style and 4 games in at that, how many teams are perfect implementation of a new game plan that fast sweet fa that’s how many.

Too early to say with Mcrae. In order to switch to this new attacking style so quickly and effectively, he would have had to drill nothing else. Once the style is locked in we may begin to add some slower gears at times.

Just need to kick straight. Forget gears and make the most of the opportunities that attacking football brings and you will win more then lose.

The gameplan put us in a winnable position but execution in front of goal is the issue.
I didn’t accept this excuse under Buckley so I’ll be consistent and apply the same standard to McRae. It’s up to the coach to employ a style that creates more efficient opportunities and play personal that complements that. So far I haven’t seen that.

Fly is new so I don’t expect him to get everything right and I’ve seen plenty of positives but it doesn’t mean I won’t point out the negatives.

Just need to kick straight. Forget gears and make the most of the opportunities that attacking football brings and you will win more then lose.
I do agree to an extent, except I do think that it is unsustainable week in week out, thus teams need to recognise when the other team has their tail up and is the more energised. Sometimes you just need to get your numbers back and absorb some pressure. Eg, Richmond in the first half of 2020 GF. If you rewatch that match, Cats could have had them beaten at half time they dominated forward half so much, but Richmond numbers back stopped it blowing out.

But agree that focusing on scoring more with the ascendency is the way to go. Ultimately not scoring enough against wce was the issue - we had a really weak uncompetitive forward line in.

Last edited:
I didn’t accept this excuse under Buckley so I’ll be consistent and apply the same standard to McRae. It’s up to the coach to employ a style that creates more efficient opportunities and play personal that complements that. So far I haven’t seen that.

Fly is new so I don’t expect him to get everything right and I’ve seen plenty of positives but it doesn’t mean I won’t point out the negatives.

Mate most those opportunities were not in bad positions, they were mostly gettable goals.

Ill accept bad kicking is bad footy but the game style wasn’t the cause of it.

I do agree to an extent, except I do think that it is unsustainable week in week out, thus teams need to recognise when the other team has their tail up and is the more energised. Sometimes you just need to get your numbers back and absorb some pressure. Eg, Richmond in the first half of 2020 GF. If you rewatch that match, Cats could have had them beaten at half time they dominated forward half so much, but Richmond numbers back stopped it blowing out.

But agree that focusing on scoring more with the ascendency is the way to go. Ultimately not scoring enough against wce was the issue - we had a really weak uncompetitive forward line in.

Not converting rather then not scoring vs WC.

Im with you that we do need a mode vs teams with momentum but I really hope our default mode is attack! I actually have rarely see. Richmond play a park the bus style usually there defensive mode is more pressure around the ball including more dirty play in and around the contest .

Imo though our 2 losses have come from poor conversion leaving opposition in it rather then inability to prk the bus, the bus ain’t needed if your 10 goals up at half time.

Here's one for you Loki - with expected results from our shots - we should have won them all and been on top of the ladder.

Yep we are on the right track and I for one am really enjoy watching us this year even the losses whilst not good to lose you can see we are not far off making it all click.

We play Geelong with the same aggression around the ball and beat them by 6 goals next time.

Melbourne ans Brisbane tonight will be interesting tests all be it we have a few outs we also got a few key ins.

You miss my point entirely. Analyse our game style all you want. I repeat this is a list of players that finished 17th six months ago.

Fly is teaching them winning habits for the long term. Something that hasn’t happened at Collingwood since Malthouse left.

You can critique our game style all you want. Go for it. We are rebuilding. Why would you rip into a team that’s clearly rebuilding?

In the short term, fly has decided - let’s rock and roll I want to be a contested side, that presses up the ground (not unlike Malthouses last two years) causes turnovers, gets inside 50s and scores more.

That’s exactly what Fly said in his opening press conference after he was appointed coach.

Our ins50s, contested possessions and scores are thru the roof compared to the old coach. He’s delivered in six months what Buckley failed in a decade. It’s now first to 100 as opposed to first ti 51.

We are clearly 80% of the way there. The last 20% is what the rest of 2022 and 2023 is all about. Which as Fly says openly in his pressers is about “the details” right and getting the winning habits right.

Seriously, for ten years these guys were coached by a muppet. Now a real coach walks in, a bloke that understand winning is about winning teaching habits and drilling winning processes and you guys all of a sudden want to rip into the gameplan 4 weeks in…

It’s litterally an aged and undermanned playing list to what Buckley had at its peak in 2018 and as of tonight it’s lowest score when JDG and Adams are playing is 91.

I’m saying put it in perspective ffs. This year is a blank canvas for Fly. Let him drive the car and see how it handles. Or at least take out performance with some sort of perspective other than “this that and the other thing is wrong”. 80% of what we are doing is already there. Buckley wasn’t even close to 80%, even in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back