Preview Round 9 2024 – Essendon vs GWS Giants, Saturday 11 May, 4.35pm AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the injury report it's looking likely that Sam Draper will be returning from injury this week. We're going to need a massive game from Briggs against him and Goldstein if we're going to have any chance in the stoppage/clearance game.

The Giants have cleared Stephen Coniglio (knee) for a return against the Bombers on Saturday, while there are high hopes Tom Green (ankle) will also be available after avoiding major damage. He'll face a fitness test later this week.

Callum Brown (suspension) will miss the next three matches, meaning there's an opening in the forward line.

Conor Stone (16 disposals, three goals) impressed in the VFL, while Max Gruzewski (10 disposals, three goals) is also vying for a senior debut. Harry Rowston (29 disposals, eight clearances, one goal) and Xavier O'Halloran (24 disposals, six clearances, one goal) were among the best in the VFL, while Nick Haynes (38 disposals, 14 marks) continued to stake his claim for a recall.

However, Isaac Cumming (hamstring) is frustratingly expected to be sidelined for another six weeks. - Riley Beveridge

R8 sub: Harvey Thomas (replaced Tom Green)

From the injury report it's looking likely that Sam Draper will be returning from injury this week. We're going to need a massive game from Briggs against him and Goldstein if we're going to have any chance in the stoppage/clearance game.
They're worried about our intercepts, as they think they're prone to unforced errors by foot, and concede a lot of points from turnovers.

Marvel Stadium is a fast track and should suit our game plan.

GWS Giants forced to consider plan B after ‘orange tsunami’ fails test in Sydney derby

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

08 MAY 2024

While the Giants are still confident their orange tsunami game plan is unbeatable on its day, Saturday’s loss to the Swans was an important reminder of the need for a Plan B.

Adam Kingsley’s men make no secret of the fact they want to be known for their fast ball movement and lethal transition footy. The large tsunami warning siren that sounds before every home game gives their opposition the heads up as well.

But in the wet against Sydney, they were found wanting. They were well down on their average number of handballs and dropped 10 per cent on their usual disposal efficiency.

It was also a credit to the Swans as they shut down key transition weapon Lachie Whitfield with the ball essentially living in the Giants’ defensive half.

“I think we probably didn’t test them enough ourselves,” Lachie Ash said.

“James Jordon did a pretty good job on Whitters (Whitfield), he’s been on fire this year. But we didn’t take enough risks with our ball movement like we usually do.

“We probably went into our shell a little bit and we didn’t put them under enough pressure.”

“There was a bit of shooting ourselves in the foot in that sense,” Josh Kelly added. “It’s a good learning lesson in being able to understand that teams are going to be wary of how we want to move the footy.

“We’re not always going to get it on our own terms and we’re not always going to execute the tsunami to absolute perfection. So understanding what we do in those situations and how we counteract that a little bit is probably the thing we look at the most.”

The wet weather naturally contributed to the rhythm of the game, with the Swans able to adapt quicker to the torrential conditions. But there’s no hiding the fact that against Sydney, and in their other loss of the season to Carlton, the Giants’ strengths completely disappeared.

In games GWS has won in 2024, they are +11.2 for contested possessions. In their two losses, that average drops to -25. It’s a similar story with their transition output, scoring 26 fewer points per game from turnovers.

Shutting The Orange Tsunami Down

StatisticLossesWins
Defensive Half to Inside 50 %26%35%
Points from Defensive Half30 Pts45 Pts
Points from Turnovers41 Pts67 Pts
Contested Possessions-25.0+11.2
Clearances-14.0-0.8
While the style of the two losses were dramatically different, with the Blues’ stoppage dominance proving the difference in round six, there is a sense that the team needs to be more resolute in the midfield.

The Giants were without Stephen Coniglio for the Swans clash and Tom Green was on the sidelines not long later with an ankle injury. That wasn’t an excuse for Kingsley, and the players don’t plan on using it either.

“It’s not an ideal situation to be in but we still expect to get the job done,” Kelly said. “Tom going down, he’s our main ball winner and presence around stoppages … if he’s not there, then we’ve got to find a way to get his job done.

“James Peatling has come into the midfield and been a real shining light. So we need to lift as a group, and be competitive from the first siren to the last.”

“In weeks gone past we went, ‘Nah, this is what we do and we’re still good at this’ and get through them,” Ash added. “But on the weekend we went into our shells.

“Our ball movement wasn’t very good and they were able to lock us in our front half and when they did, their contest and forward line was pretty good.

“They did take away our thing and that’s something that we’ll have to work on next time to make sure we get our game up and going because I think we’re hard to stop when we do. We’re probably one of the best teams in the competition when we bring that and I don’t think anyone can stop us.”

It’s far from panic stations for the Giants. They’re still one of the overwhelming premiership favourites and safely in the top four.

But they’ll want a quick response against Essendon this weekend. Callan Ward’s 300th game will give them all the motivation they need, but creating pressure across the ground will be the key to turning the ripple back into the tsunami.

“It starts forward (of the ball), especially inside 50,” Ash said. “It’s being able to put a delay on the footy and let the mids and backs set up from there.

“When the ball gets in the middle of the ground, you’ve just got to fight and scrap. I think we’re getting better at it.

“As a defender, you can see the game a bit clearer than the midfield. So it’s communicating with them on the defensive stuff. That doesn’t come naturally to midfielders because they’re the ball-winners and that’s what they do.

“Going forward, we won’t have any problems with that at all. We had similar problems last year and cleaned it up. So we’ll work through that and we’ll get there for sure.”

Two outs for Essendon which has announced yesterday ruckman Sam Draper will miss at least Round 9 with knee soreness. Xavier Duursma has torn his quad at training yestoday and will miss at least four weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for Tom playing

Bloke has been a rollercoaster in my fantasy team and I need him to aim up ;)
Same and Whitfields is allowed one poor one also..Callaghan coming good.Daniels probably wasn't a smart pick early on but I love him.Bringing the helmeted one in this week. Marvel should suit him

Midfield needs to be on this week Dons are good through there...Gut feel is they bring in Stone for Brown and Cogs for Thomas..Like others have said I don't trust Green playing until he runs out on Saturday.Hoping it's just 2 changes.

Nick Haynes is in for this Saturday! 😀

Tom Green's also put on interchange at the moment.

FB: Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Harry Perryman
HB: Lachie Whitfield, Jack Buckley, Lachie Ash
C: Nick Haynes, Josh Kelly, Finn Callaghan
HF: Brent Daniels, Aaron Cadman, Toby Bedford
FF: Toby Greene, Jesse Hogan, Harvey Thomas
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Darcy Jones, Tom Green, Harry Himmelberg, Jake Riccardi, Conor Stone

Ins: Stephen Coniglio, Nick Haynes, Conor Stone
Outs: James Peatling, Jacob Wehr (omitted), Callum Brown (suspended)

Emergencies: James Peatling, Jacob Wehr, Max Gruzewski

Would love to know why Peatling has been placed as an emergency though. 🤔

after the swans game I had thought cumming was odds on to make his way back into the team on the wing but given his injury happy for Haynes to take that spot.

reason for this is that I don’t think our transition defence has been anywhere near what it was the back half of last year when we had either Haynes or cumming on one of the wings.

I think having that defensive minded winger who can intercept mark allows us to take advantage of the pressure from our forwards.

With Haynes on the wing opposition have to get it past him on the wing before getting past bucks and Taylor in D50. Will take some of the heat off Briggs. Were has some good traits but height & aerial presence are 2 things he just doesn’t have.

Will be interesting to see who ends up as Sub. Based on the named side if it’s one of the bench Stone would be my pick but Thomas would be my choice from the 23 named.

after the swans game I had thought cumming was odds on to make his way back into the team on the wing but given his injury happy for Haynes to take that spot.

reason for this is that I don’t think our transition defence has been anywhere near what it was the back half of last year when we had either Haynes or cumming on one of the wings.

I think having that defensive minded winger who can intercept mark allows us to take advantage of the pressure from our forwards.

With Haynes on the wing opposition have to get it past him on the wing before getting past bucks and Taylor in D50. Will take some of the heat off Briggs. Were has some good traits but height & aerial presence are 2 things he just doesn’t have.

Will be interesting to see who ends up as Sub. Based on the named side if it’s one of the bench Stone would be my pick but Thomas would be my choice from the 23 named.
The sub is an interesting one.

I would've thought that Stone is filling Brown's role so he'd be unlikely as the sub? Possibly Jones could be used for an injection of speed later in the game.

I'm actually wondering if Green might be the sub similar to Daniels a couple of weeks back. If his ankle's still a bit sore we might not want to give him a full game. And if the scoreline is anything like our last game against Essendon we could avoid putting him on altogether.

I'm not surprised Peatling dropped out. Unpopular opinion.
His effort is unquestionable, he always cracks in, however he is a bit behind the others with his skill and decision making. A few times on the fast break he missed his handball or kick and on one occasion took a pretty bad option. Those moments are costly it looks like we are going inside 50, instead they are, and we're all running the wrong way.
He is nowhere near as clean as the others on the ground either.
For me, he is in the next in line sort of player who brings in loads of energy and effort which is great for your club, but when everyone is around is may miss out.
XOH and Bedford are a bit similar.
Kennedy and Reid the same before them.

I'm glad Stone is coming in.
I like that we are able to bring in a guy who has done exactly what is asked of him week in week out in VFL who is now experienced and AFL ready.
In that 2016-19 run if we had this situation we would bring in a talented kid who wasn't fully ready to all the little things.
Our depth these days is stacked with seasoned pros ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back