Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
King early this season looked good when he pushed up the ground more.

In body on body work he is like our former player Kosi in that both are easily manhandled and pushed off the ball, even by much smaller players. Kosi was at his best when running around leaping for marks.

Play King as CHF and pushing up to the wings and even hb to take marks.

He needs as as everyone has been saying to leap at the ball.

It was notable that when the Dogs played us that the twiglike, but very tall, Darcy was running in from the side to mark over the top to use his leap and height and to avoid body contact.

King needs to do the same.

I once went to three 100+ point thrashings in a row.....
Goddammit, trust us to have our Winter Of Discontent decade in a generation without league assistance. Back then the league's version of assistance was the bigwigs of Carlton kindly suggesting a hostile takeover.

I am procrastinating and trying like mad to resist the urge to compare the onfield results of St Kilda in the 80s to Carlton in the first two decades of the 2000's and North Melbourne in the 2020s

Important to remember not everyone can get 30 a game. Playing in the forward line you’re gonna have games where you struggle to get near it.
It’s not an excuse but it is a difficult position, Especially as a young kid it’s easy to lose your confidence and touch.
Memory may not serve here, but I seem to recall Sincs spending his first few years serving a very tough apprenticeship on the HFF before moving to wing and now his current (AA) position.

Memory may not serve here, but I seem to recall Sincs spending his first few years serving a very tough apprenticeship on the HFF before moving to wing and now his current (AA) position.
Yep I remember Sincs back when he was shoved in the forward pocket by Richo. Was commonly talked about along with the likes of Lonie as players we should probably move past.

Thank god we perservered with him.

I want to see Hastie and Hugo stay in the side. Angus is probably on the block with more experience coming back, tough on him, reckon he should take Bonners spot.

My preference would be Henry and Dow to come in for Bonner and Byrnes. It's unlikely to happen, with one or two of Hastie, Pou and Hugo likely to go back to the 2s. But I'd love for Ross to back this group of kids in.
Couldn't agree more with this.
Hastie, Hugo and Collard should all play this week and not as a sub.

Now CF, just because Fritsch looks like he is from Scotch, and comes from a family of investment bankers with ties to the Rockefeller's, doesn't mean he's entitled.
He's not Max King for god sake 😆
Just been doing a bit of research and it seems King went to Hedgeburners Grammar.
You'd reckon that would have been a red flag right there.

Just been doing a bit of research and it seems King went to Hedgeburners Grammar.
Well, well well. The pieces are all falling into place
Tom Delonge Reaction GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To mention the game, I think we do our usual grind it out style that ultimately gets us over the line with 4 points that is in reality just a frustrating spectacle, and on here we are unsure whether we are meant to be happy or not...rinse and repeat.

saints by 16,

...King kicks 5
King kicking any goals is a bonus, but we need more goals from the rest of the forwards and midfield too.

Play King as CHF and pushing up to the wings and even hb to take marks.

He needs as as everyone has been saying to leap at the ball.

King needs to do the same.

I think this is correct. I think a big part of King's problem is he does not have the body type or body strength to hold is ground against the big stay at home KPDs. He gets pushed off the line and out of contest far too easily. I don't know if he has the tank but if he could play a more Riewoldt type role (not to the extreme Nick played), I think it would get him away from those defenders that just monster him in the forward 25.

Foreward Weapons...we need em.

Much focus has been on the lack of midfield talent and used as the reason why our forward line doesn't perform but it's become clear we lack a level of talent in our forward line also. Symptomatic of a club going through a fairly hard rebuild really and still needing some luck with recruiting over the next 2 or 3 years.

Bailey Fritsch is another one. They cause opposition defences to panic and make holes for others.

Bailey Fritsch is another one. They cause opposition defences to panic and make holes for others.
That was something that was noticeable at the game on Saturday. Hayes leading and marking isn't just because Hayes knows how to lead and mark.
Occasionally what looked like huge patches of free space would open up and Jack lead into those.
I think it stood out so much because we don't see it happen much.
Maybe it was because North don't defend as well as some others but it'd be nice if it was something that was going to happen regularly. Makes scoring so much easier than the slog we go though.

That was something that was noticeable at the game on Saturday. Hayes leading and marking isn't just because Hayes knows how to lead and mark.
Occasionally what looked like huge patches of free space would open up and Jack lead into those.
Maybe it was because North don't defend as well as some others but it'd be nice if it was something that was going to happen regularly. Makes scoring so much easier than the slog we go though.
Hayes played the role like a key position forward should. King is not key position player and needs room to move around to bring out his skills- just better getting him up the ground.

Hedgeburners.....sounds like something straight out of one of the 100 Harry Potter movies !!!!!

That’s good news if it wasn’t just Ana accident.
No doubt Hawthorn’s defensive coaches have watched the game and noticed this.
They’ll do their thing to counter it.
But that gives King and Owens some opportunities you would think. The hawks defenders can’t play every hole unless they just flood and that is a real possibility.
So then players like Hill and Wood might be able to run in and kick from the flanks, over ‘the swarm’ as it were. .

Just speculating here, but overall, Hayes is definitely a factor for the Hawks to think about, especially with no Sicily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back