Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Careful what you wish for Port fans is a bizarre Cornes-ism though does he actually think it's better to win an SANFL flag and play in front of 5 people at the bay than be in the AFL? lol

It’s just so absurdly disingenuous.

Port could easily be sat here with 3-4-5-6 flags had we franked the golden opportunities on offer from 2001-2023:

4 Minor Premierships
8 Qualifying Finals (6 @ home)
7 Prelim Finals (4 @ home)
2 Grand Finals

Incompetence and self-sabotage will sink any club regardless of the degree of difficulty of the competition it’s in.

Port could easily be sat here with 3-4-5-6 flags had we franked the golden opportunities on offer from 2001-2023:

4 Minor Premierships
2 Grand Finals

Incompetence and self-sabotage will sink any club regardless of the degree of difficulty of the competition it’s in.
His whole schtick is to be the pantomime villain, bait the hook, and light up the switchboard.

Too often, we take the bait and indulge him.

Port rose out of the swamp of the SANFL to be relevant on the national stage. The SANFL won’t exist soon, but PAFC will.

We’ve played on the biggest stage every week for 27 years. He lasted five weeks.

He’s best ignored.

Don't quite agree - listening to Lindy after a Crows loss is gold.

I'd rather listen to Gina call Kyle Chalmers over a 200m swim. At least that will be over in less than 2 min.

4 Minor Premierships
2 Grand Finals

The perfect contrast is the West Coast Eagles who would theoretically be the club we should be benchmarking against (clubs from Victoria, NSW and Queensland enjoy various advantages we don't have).

Since we entered the AFL:

1 minor premiership
6 qualifying finals (4 at home)
5 preliminary finals (3 at home)

And yet they've played in twice as many grand finals and won twice as many flags as us. It's ridiculous.

The perfect contrast is the West Coast Eagles who would theoretically be the club we should be benchmarking against (clubs from Victoria, NSW and Queensland enjoy various advantages we don't have).

1 minor premiership

And yet they've played in twice as many grand finals and won twice as many flags as us. It's ridiculous.
But what about the stability?

1 minor premiership

Yep. The "It's not the SANFL anymore" crowd ignore that repeated success in the AFL is possible and is being achieved right now. The AFL has some clearcut good clubs who repeatedly get themselves back to genuine contention over a long period of time, and always see their next premiership as something they can and will achieve and they'll make ruthless decisions to get there. West Coast, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn. Collingwood are arguably getting there.

We don't have to just accept failure. We're allowed to expect more and expecting it is the first step to achieving it.

Less "someone's gotta lose" and more "someone's gotta win, it should be us".

Yep. The "It's not the SANFL anymore" crowd ignore that repeated success in the AFL is possible and is being achieved right now. The AFL has some clearcut good clubs who repeatedly get themselves back to genuine contention over a long period of time, and always see their next premiership as something they can and will achieve and they'll make ruthless decisions to get there. West Coast, Geelong, Sydney, Hawthorn. Collingwood are arguably getting there.

We don't have to just accept failure. We're allowed to expect more and expecting it is the first step to achieving it.

Less "someone's gotta lose" and more "someone's gotta win, it should be us".
Then again, Graham Cornes is a Glenelg man, so he knows all about losing.

I was on the PC this morning and I thought I would listen to 5aa, haven't listened to them for about 4 years, now I know why.
A caller rang in suggestig that Hinkley should be moved on, Cornes replied with his win loss ratio is very good, the caller goes on to mention his win ratio against top sides and in finals, Cornes replied this time with, your in the big league now, caller responds with we haven't made a GF for 16 years.
This is the pathetic response from Cornes, I warned you Port people to be careful what you wish for, your not in the sanfl now your in the big league.

Are these people paid to make sure we never prosper like the Port of old. He sounded like he was happy that Port have been dismantled to become a pile of mediocre s**t.
The Cornes men deserve every criticism they get.
That was me. I just wanted to question his take that the list wasn’t good enough. He backtracked and said he meant last year.
Of course he’s not going to agree on anything that questions Hinkley as his son’s employed there. He’d know that Hinkley goes then Chad’s employment is under threat.
When I asked who’s ultimately responsible for the list building over the 12 years, he said the coach has minimal input which I said was bs. Mentioned some of the so called missing pieces that absolutely Ken was involved in getting in. Don’t know if it came across but it definitely sounded like he was fudging over words at one stage. When I said it points to Hinkley that we’ve lacked success weirdly he brings up we finished in the top four last year. And I mentioned as supporters we don’t want to finish in the top 4 and bombing out abysmally and that’s when he went all dickheady “you’re not in the sanfl anymore , be careful what you wish for haw haw”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As common plebes we’re routinely dismissed for criticisms of certain intricacies of coaching that we haven’t the remotest experience or qualifications in/for.

But how on earth does Hinkley even begin to criticise and cook players for some of the all-too-familiar garbage served up in the second half, when he carried on like an absolute d¡ckhead purely on raw outcome, for as long as he did.

Is it any wonder there’s never any serious progress made under this guy, or the “learning” he drones on about from week to week and year to year.

Victories like this one (or West Coast in 2019, or Brisbane in 2023) are basically wins on the scratchies.

Nobody expected it. It’s a pleasant surprise. But it was completely random. And the statistical probability of it happening again, let alone again and again, is minuscule.

98B858B4-1ED1-48EB-BA3A-61D41A5CD302.jpeg

He'll perform miracles against norf next week and all will be forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back