Strategy The actual positive thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so I took the piss in the other thread that sacking everyone is somehow going to lead to improvement. Yes, we’re frustrated but getting angry and throwing the toys out the cot is not going to help. Clearly the instability and the lack of a learning environment is a big part of how we got where we are and there's simply no point to discard people to 'hold them accountable' unless the replacements are likely to be substantially better. The good news is that the instability that's hurt us was mostly caused by changing things that were manifestly not working. We’ve paid the price but we are still due to get the return.

After repeatedly being out of the game at quarter time there’s a hunger for some genuine positivity. Here I offer it.

We have the core enablers in place off field. These are the first steps that support everything else. You don’t get immediate returns from them, but they make it possible to create success over time.

1. We have the best President in the league. Sonja is warm, human and empathetic, but sharp as a tack and hard as a cat’s head when she needs to be. If anything symbolises the transition we are on it is the move from blokey Brayshaw, through smooth-talking Buckley, to super-Sonja.

2. We have a seriously good Head of Football. The way Todd has dealt with everything that has been thrown at him has been incredible.

3. We actually have a decent medical and fitness team. The injury list is as short as ever and we can actually run out quarters.

4. We have good development coaches (Barlow and Lynch). Halleluljah! We have our own VFL team.

5. We are financially stable. We’re not cutting corners for cash grabs.

6. We have the right values. The Tefs of this world never understand how critical it is to have solid values at the club for people to work together and buy in. Otherwise you get silos and jealousies, finger-pointing and paralysing cliques. The way we’ve dealt with pokies, with Thomas, with everything else are what you see on the outside when you have the right values on the inside.

Our onfield situation is better than it seems
7. Our VFL team is winning. That's both a sign that we have some actual depth and something that helps us going forward. Combined with the improved injury situation we finally have a place where people can actually develop their game and practice executing a game plan effectively rather than just practicsing being headless chooks.

8. We have a long list of genuine talent. Larkey, LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher are or will be A-graders.

9. We have strong potential supporting cast of Simpkin, Logue, Powell, Curtis, Scott, B George, Comben, W. Dawson, Goad, even Philips despite what I said.

10. We won’t be losing any important players to retirement anytime soon. Even last year we lost Goldy, Ziebell and Cunnington. And we lost a procession of others in the years before. We have years before we lose anyone of similar stature. And every year we will be recruiting a new top-10 pick, a top-30 pick, some speculative ones and have a chance at trades and FAs.

The on-field problems are known and should evolve themselves away
11. We have very little on field leadership or experience. But the young quality will gain it every year. Even if we lose one or two to injury or desertion, there are so many that the experience will grow each year – given the right off field environment. They may learn a bit more slowly due to the current on-field chaos, but everything can accelerate when things start to click.

12. We have not embedded an effective gameplan. It is very hard for any individual to learn a gameplan when others are not playing their roles. See above: As things mature, and with the VFL team a better learning environment, this should turn.

13. We’re not sure about Clarko. Is he a genius coach still? But we know he brings enormous credibility. He attracts quality assistants. If he’s not communicating the plan well at least the stability he brings will support the assistants to step up.

Yes it’s crazy frustrating, but we really do have the core pieces in place and a reason to believe the next five years will be different from the last five.

Last edited:
Ok, so I took the piss in the other thread that sacking everyone is somehow going to lead to improvement. Yes, we’re frustrated but getting angry and throwing the toys out the cot is not going to help. Clearly the instability and the lack of a learning environment is a big part of how we got where we are and there's simply no point to discard people to 'hold them accountable' unless the replacements are likely to be substantially better. The good news is that the instability that's hurt us, was mostly caused by changing things that were manifestly not working. We’ve paid the price, but it's slow to get the return.

After repeatedly being out of the game at quarter time there’s a hunger for some genuine positivity. Here I offer it.

We have the core enablers in place off field. These are the first steps that support everything else. You don’t get immediate returns from them, but they make it possible to create success over time.

1. We have the best President in the league. Sonja is warm, human and empathetic, but smart as a tack and hard as a cat’s head when she needs to be. If anything symbolises the transition we are on it is the move from blokey Brayshaw, through smooth-talking Buckley, to super-Sonja.

2. We have a seriously good Head of Football. The way Todd has dealt with everything that has been thrown at him has been incredible.

3. We actually have a decent medical and fitness. The injury list is as short as ever and we can actually run out quarters.

4. We have good development coaches (Barlow and Lynch). Halleluljah! We have our own VFL team.

6. We have the right values. The Tefs of this world never understand how critical it is to have solid values at the club for people to work together and buy in. Otherwise you get silos and jealousies, finger-pointing and paralysing cliques. The way we’ve dealt with pokies, with Thomas, with everything else are what you see on the outside when you have the right values on the inside.

7. Our VFL team and is winning. Combined with the improved injury situation we finally have a place where people can actually develop their game and practice executing a game plan effectively rather than just practicsing being headless chooks.

8. We have a long list of genuine talent. Larkey, LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, Duursma, McKercher are or will be A-graders.

9. We have strong potential supporting cast of Simpkin, Logue, Powell, Curtis, Scott, B George, Comben, W. Dawson, Goad, even Philips despite what I said.

10. We won’t be losing any important players to retirement anytime soon. Even last year we lost Goldy, Ziebell and Cunnington. And we lost a procession of others in the years before. We have years before we lose anyone of similar stature. And every year we will be recruiting a new top-10 pick, a top-30 pick, some speculative ones and have chance at trades and FAs.

11. We have very little on field leadership or experience. But the young quality will gain it every year. Even if we lose one or two to injury or desertion, there are so many that the experience will grow each year – given the right off field environment. They may learn a bit more slowly due to the current on-field chaos, but everything can accelerate when things start to click.

12. We have not embedded an effective gameplan. It is very hard for any individual to learn a gameplan when others are not playing their roles. See above: As things mature, and with the VFL team a better learning environment, this should turn.

13. We’re not sure about Clarko. Is he a genius coach still? But we know he brings enormous credibility. He attracts quality assistants. If he’s not communicating the plan well, the stability he brings will support the assistants to step up.

So it’s crazy frustrating. But we really do have the core pieces in place and a reason to believe the next five years will be different from the last five.
I posted in another thread preseason I thought we would go backwards again this year with all the experience lost from the team.
I'm actually pretty positive about our team for the first time in about five years.
Young guys I've seen noticeable improvement this year are as follows.
Curtis
Xerri
Powell
Dawson
Comben
Wardlaw
On top of that the drafties in Kerch and duursma look good also.
That 8/22 players on the improve. That's actually massive. Getting used to game plans and systems will take time. Stability is what we need right now.
I'm far more positive now than I was preseason.

I’m going to live in this thread from now on.
Probably better for my sanity to do the same.

The good is that our 4 early picks over the last 2 years look like they'll turn out OK. Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma don't look out of place, and are best 18 already. Give them 50 games more and maybe some of them will be AA level.

Just wait until McKercher cuts loose and we see more of those explosive runs. He'll be a media darling, as they love players of his ilk. Got to get him to extend his contract. Use the "war chest" on these guys.

Xerri has improved, and is a better player than I thought he could be. He's not going to be AA ruck, but he's been good.

Comben is back, and I think getting him to develop in the backline is a reasonable option. I hope he can get some continuity. It's easier to take intercept marks as a backman than contested marks at CHF. A season in the backline might give him the development and confidence to later switch to CHF. Lots of upside IF he can stay fit.

Powell has improved from last year too.

There aren't many retirements that will affect us in the next few years, as pointed out by the OP.

If one of Goad or Wil Dawson develops into a best 18 player it will really help, given our lack of talls. Really hoping one or both make it.

The improvement we need is from LDU to be more consistent, Philips to get into the side and become a solid contributor, Logue to return from injury, and Simpkin to find his best position.

Zurharr, Curtis and Ford all have the ability to kick goals and turn a game. Their best and worst are too wide.

If all the above can be consistent players that's a really good core group. I'm not sold on Stephenson, LMac, Tucker, Stephens being in the starting team in 12+ months time though.

Good thread hsquid. 👍

Every game the talented youff play for us is a further step towards a brighter future. Just have to tough it out and enjoy the ride I guess.

The days of contracts hand written on napkins at The Old Melbourne Motor Inn and brown paper bags full of cash were far simpler but here we are, the youngest least experienced team trying to box our way out of the malaise.

If we are having an actual positive thread, I want to play too. I submit a positive interpretation of the Phillips situation. We know Clarkson has been through several finals with Mitchell. We know he had a difficult time early on and later shined. When I look at Phillips characteristics, I see a team member who is built to help rack up wins in H&A but frankly exploitable in finals. I believe Clarkson has identified this and elected to rebuild Philip's game like he did Mitchell's before it becomes an issue in finals. I hope that when the process is complete, we'll have an extra contributer who will lift us immediately and into the future.

I just want one win a.t.m. That's all. Something we can hang our hat on. Just one. Something to make me attend another game without sitting silently on the train going home without opposition supporters looking at me pityingly, wondering which is your stop and if they'll see you again next time we play.

That one win will sustain me until the next one. But 2 wins seen at Marvel in 5 years isn't doing it. The silly USA style player introduction, make some noise, flashing lights after a goal, now a song.

One win, just one.

Last edited:
Ok, so I took the piss in the other thread that sacking everyone is somehow going to lead to improvement. Yes, we’re frustrated but getting angry and throwing the toys out the cot is not going to help. Clearly the instability and the lack of a learning environment is a big part of how we got where we are and there's simply no point to discard people to 'hold them accountable' unless the replacements are likely to be substantially better. The good news is that the instability that's hurt us was mostly caused by changing things that were manifestly not working. We’ve paid the price but we are still due to get the return.

1. We have the best President in the league. Sonja is warm, human and empathetic, but smart as a tack and hard as a cat’s head when she needs to be. If anything symbolises the transition we are on it is the move from blokey Brayshaw, through smooth-talking Buckley, to super-Sonja.

3. We actually have a decent medical and fitness team. The injury list is as short as ever and we can actually run out quarters.

7. Our VFL team is winning. That's both a sign that we have some actual depth and something that helps us going forward. Combined with the improved injury situation we finally have a place where people can actually develop their game and practice executing a game plan effectively rather than just practicsing being headless chooks.

10. We won’t be losing any important players to retirement anytime soon. Even last year we lost Goldy, Ziebell and Cunnington. And we lost a procession of others in the years before. We have years before we lose anyone of similar stature. And every year we will be recruiting a new top-10 pick, a top-30 pick, some speculative ones and have a chance at trades and FAs.

13. We’re not sure about Clarko. Is he a genius coach still? But we know he brings enormous credibility. He attracts quality assistants. If he’s not communicating the plan well at least the stability he brings will support the assistants to step up.

Yes it’s crazy frustrating, but we really do have the core pieces in place and a reason to believe the next five years will be different from the last five.
Good thread, well done. The point about the VFL side is especially strong - you build from the bottom up (reserves) as well as top down (the draft). Three years ago we had literally no talent to choose from in the VFL squad, evident in the fading players like Aaron Hall who were playing ones because they had to. The memory of standing at Arden Street watching Frankston beat the 2s by 100 on the back of Nathan Freeman and Will Fordham (!) cutting us to pieces still lingers. Now we've got a clamour about why Sellers (among others) doesn't get selected, a much better spot to be in

Backline. 30 more games into these guys and we’re rock n rolln
Smalls
Bergman Hardeman Sheezel McKercher Fisher McDonald
Mids
Goater Archer
Talls
Logue Comben Dawson Dawson Pink

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comben's game on the weekend has given me confidence that our key back positions are looking solid for the future (Logue, Comben and Dawson x 2).

Hopefully we can start to get the chance to see what Sellers and Maley can do for us down the other end, sooner rather than later!

The first indication as to where we are at, will come in Round 6 when we play Hawthorn. Our fixture so far has been a shocker with games against GWS, Carlton and Brisbane, all Preliminary Finalists last year, plus Fremantle.

Realistically the only team out of those 4 that we should have had some expectation of matching and maybe beating was Fremantle, who have bounced back after an indifferent 2023.

Now we face Geelong at Geelong, who after an injury riddled 2023, are right back in the Premiership hunt. While they only just scraped over the line against the Bulldogs, they were the far superior team on what I saw, running out of legs in the last quarter, having had just 5 days break after the weather impacted Easter Monday game against Hawthorn. Which makes Hawthorns performance against Collingwood even more impressive.

I hate to think what Geelong might do on Sunday after an 8 day break.

When i look at our team i can see that we are not far away.

We had quite a few changes to the coaching team for the players to adjust to.

The new style of play we could only practice amongst ourselves. The real test is when other teams break the you down. The only way to counter this is to experience the challenge. Playing these top sides is really good for our development. The test is going to be when we play the sides in the bottom half of the ladder. Hopefully what we have learnt in the past month will really help us.

I have read a lot of comments around player development. The best way for players to develop is playing in winning teams. I was watching Port the other night and JHF was killing it. His development was accelerated by going to a top club. Other players like Sam Walsh had to battle to finally break through.

It's easy for people to criticize our development team but there is so much more to it.

I can't wait to see this team improve during the year. We do however need to get some established players from other teams.

Go Roos

Probably better for my sanity to do the same.

The good is that our 4 early picks over the last 2 years look like they'll turn out OK. Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma don't look out of place, and are best 18 already. Give them 50 games more and maybe some of them will be AA level.

Just wait until McKercher cuts loose and we see more of those explosive runs. He'll be a media darling, as they love players of his ilk. Got to get him to extend his contract. Use the "war chest" on these guys.

Xerri has improved, and is a better player than I thought he could be. He's not going to be AA ruck, but he's been good.

Comben is back, and I think getting him to develop in the backline is a reasonable option. I hope he can get some continuity. It's easier to take intercept marks as a backman than contested marks at CHF. A season in the backline might give him the development and confidence to later switch to CHF. Lots of upside IF he can stay fit.

Powell has improved from last year too.

There aren't many retirements that will affect us in the next few years, as pointed out by the OP.

If one of Goad or Wil Dawson develops into a best 18 player it will really help, given our lack of talls. Really hoping one or both make it.

The improvement we need is from LDU to be more consistent, Philips to get into the side and become a solid contributor, Logue to return from injury, and Simpkin to find his best position.

Zurharr, Curtis and Ford all have the ability to kick goals and turn a game. Their best and worst are too wide.

If all the above can be consistent players that's a really good core group. I'm not sold on Stephenson, LMac, Tucker, Stephens being in the starting team in 12+ months time though.
My expectation is that Xerri will be as good as Sean Darcy. His improvement curve this year suggests that’s achievable.

It’s looking up folks. Curtis Taylor is back!!! 🎉🎉🎉 Bergman is jus around The corner too.

I posted in another thread preseason I thought we would go backwards again this year with all the experience lost from the team.
I'm actually pretty positive about our team for the first time in about five years.
Young guys I've seen noticeable improvement this year are as follows.
Curtis
Xerri
Powell
Dawson
Comben
Wardlaw
On top of that the drafties in Kerch and duursma look good also.
That 8/22 players on the improve. That's actually massive. Getting used to game plans and systems will take time. Stability is what we need right now.
I'm far more positive now than I was preseason.
Yes buttox yes, there is that word that some people either don't agree with or don't care about, I know some people will probably get sick of hearing it but two very important words to us right now especially the phase we're in is stability and patience. Another great point you said is learning and getting used to game plans and systems do take time, I've said it once and I'll say it again that first half against Freo was not a flash in the pan, that will be the norm for us when we are better equipped, knowledgeable enough and confident enough enough to do it for not two quarters but the whole game.

Good effort mate, but given some things you've listed as positive, I'd add one that we still have a football club to support. If this was the 1990s we'd be gone by now. The rest is clutching at straws unfortunately

Yes buttox yes, there is that word that some people either don't agree with or don't care about, I know some people will probably get sick of hearing it but two very important words to us right now especially the phase we're in is stability and patience. Another great point you said is learning and getting used to game plans and systems do take time, I've said it once and I'll say it again that first half against Freo was not a flash in the pan, that will be the norm for us when we are better equipped, knowledgeable enough and confident enough enough to do it for not two quarters but the whole game.
Everyone is different we all support the club in our own way. It's about being realistic about where we are at.

All time lows at the moment. We can't be happy about it. I know I'm not. But focusing on the positives is the best way forward.
Sack the coach drop Simpkin drop lmac etc is just over emotional bleating from those who had unrealistic expectations from the team.
Just improve. That's all I want.
We've shown that if you look past the scoreboard.
God some success is going to feel sweet after this mess. The futures bright. We will need to wear shades.
Teddy Bear Deal With It GIF by Pudgy Penguins

The way i see it is we have a pretty poor last 6-8 players picked in the best 23, we have some talent in the 2's pushing for those spots plus some young skinny talls developing. There's a lot of room for growth in another 10 players playing in the 1's. If you picture the make up of this side in 18 months time there will be a core talented group who've played 40-100 games together, a handful of more talented draft picks, and those young talls who are doing there apprenticeship now.

I'll go to as many games as I can. Catch up with fellow supporters, yell at the rookie umpires and enjoy supporting the young kids like Sheez/Wardlaw/Colby/Duurs/Powell/Curtis and others like Larkey/Comben/LDU/Xerri/Logue/Fisher.
Watch the gameplan/structures out on the ground or follow a player for each quarter and see what they are trying to do out there.

I'm looking forward to the debuts of George, Hardemann, Sellers, Maley and W Dawson. Goad might get a taste last few rounds.
And hopefully some more opportunities for Archer/Harvey/Bergman/Drury/RHJ types to find out more about them at AFL level.

If it's getting too much for you make a pillow with Cornes or Barrett's face printed on it and punch it to let out frustration lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back