Strategy The actual positive thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Realistically McDonald will remain in the team until at least the end of the year.

On merit, Dawson edges McDonald out when Logue returns. Something like this perhaps:

Nyuon — Logue — Dawson
Hardeman — Comben — George
Really solid back 6 with potential, hopefully we see W. Dawson in there sometime in the next couple of years

Com and Biggie were definitely highlights for me today.

Nyuon has really good defensive instincts. I loved that he worked off his man to attack the contest aggressively. It didn’t work on occasion when his teammates mostly let him down by turning the ball over in increasingly ridiculous ways. He also shows he cares. A green shoot there.

Comben had another solid game and was dangerous in the air. Our shitful turnovers must be infuriating when you have done so much good work like Comben did, only to have the opposition kick goals out the back.

I think it’s clear that we need to play defensively capable players in the back half. Enough of carrying 1-3 players who can’t win 70% of 50/50s to save their life:

End of 2024 defence:

B: Nyuon K. Dawson McDonald
HB: Hardeman Comben Tucker

Round 1 2025 defence:

B: Nyuon Logue K. Dawson
HB: Hardeman Comben Goater
I think...

FB: Logue - Comben - Goater
HB: Hardeman - WDawson - George

Nyuon or KDawson might hold off WDawson for a while, and we'll rarely be 100%. So he's good to have. I think the group above will be very good.

Archer is also looking good.

Sheezel up the ground, as below...

C: Scott - Sheezel - McKercher
Foll: Xerri - LDU - Wardlaw

Some good perspective from Souva:

View attachment 1960290

That's what I call perspective. And who better to come from than Nick.

I appreciate that yesterday was no fun whatsoever to watch, but realistically did anyone really think we would beat Geelong at Kardinia Park?

Yes the margin was far worse than we would have hoped to see, but we were playing a team that had 15 2022 Premiership players out there, on their home ground, which is always hard to navigate.

Two of those at least, being Cameron and Stewart are multiple All Australians, who brilliantly lead their respective playing zones. Imagine if magically they were in our team, how much better would we go?

Yesterday was such a huge mismatch in terms of age and experience and it seems to me that not many who post here are prepared to take that into account.

Its just generally a s******w from most here, simply bagging our players, without stopping to do a bit of reasonable analysis as to why our boys are losing regularly.

It will turn, who knows when, probably not this year, but it will, mark my words.

Realistically McDonald will remain in the team until at least the end of the year.

On merit, Dawson edges McDonald out when Logue returns. Something like this perhaps:

Nyuon — Logue — Dawson
Hardeman — Comben — George

Looks too tall to me. Not enough defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground.

I'd prefer one of Bergman/ Archer in a back pocket instead of Nyuon or K. Dawson.

Also think Sheezel needs to stay on the Back Flank for now as he's our best ball user/ decision maker which probably pushes George out as I think Hardeman is slightly ahead of him at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks too tall to me. Not enough defensive pressure when the ball hits the ground.

I'd prefer one of Bergman/ Archer in a back pocket instead of Nyuon or K. Dawson.

Also think Sheezel needs to stay on the Back Flank for now as he's our best ball user/ decision maker which probably pushes George out as I think Hardeman is slightly ahead of him at this stage.
Agree. Too many talls - will be a good problem to have though if we can get them all up and running.

Dawson is quicker and more agile than McDonald, he is just 3 inches taller.

Biggie has great closing speed and has that glide going. If we are playing a semi-zone, we need all our defenders to be mobile and good in the air. This back six does this while preserving the skill and smarts of Sheeze and Kerch for the front half of the ground.

Dawson is quicker and more agile than McDonald, he is just 3 inches taller.

Biggie has great closing speed and has that glide going. If we are playing a semi-zone, we need all our defenders to be mobile and good in the air. This back six does this while preserving the skill and smarts of Sheeze and Kerch for the front half of the ground.

Oh well, we'll agree to disagree

Positives

Kids have genuine talent
Sheezel
Wardlaw
Curtis
Dursma
Mckercher

Have all shown genuinely elite traits ( with inconsistency bar sheezel)

Comben - potentially biggest positive long term from a small sample size

Xerri - has limitations but is maximising his own skillset

Negative- lack of impact from Stephen’s and a lesser extent fisher

Goater injury- a season out of him would have been ideal

Scott - get him back on a wing please

Simpkin- has the concussion taken a really big impact?

McDonald- time to drop him as soon as archer or Bergman are banging the door down

We’ve had 150 tackles over the last two weeks.

You don’t do that if you’re not trying.
We also got more of the ball than Geelong, and 129 marks in a game where our midfield was poor.

More importantly, we are seeing intercept marks in the last 2 weeks.

A better midfield performance and some territory might mean a win is just around the corner. The turnovers are less likely if you are not constantly pressed into your own backline with guys who have hardly played together.

Would like to fit Nyuon, KDawson, Logue and Archer all into the back six. They all bring different qualities, including speed. Nyuon had a coming of age game on the weekend. Let's hope it continues. We have Hardeman and WDawson to come, so in future there will be competition for spots. Our defence is looking okay now, given that it was a major headache when the season started.

I think Comben is a temporary thing until we get some guys back from injury on the KPD front.

Still, to get him playing backline well this early with very little time to adjust against top 4 sides, is a testament to Jed Adcock's experience and nous. He must've trained Comben like a madman to get him right.

That is becoming a masterstroke upon reflection. Comben isn't perfect (no one is) but his reach, closing speed and big body to kill repeat entries helps tremendously. It sorta protects the less experienced players like Biggie.

I know this is a positivity thread, but gee whiz I have not been impressed with Corr's defending (although I think he is punching above his weight). I think he will get dropped for Logue and when Dawson comes back to full training it's going to be difficult for him. Just a limited footballer and time is catching up to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back