Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: It's time (to discuss the proper way to consume a carbonated beverage)

Remove this Banner Ad

What style is that? To me they look like a bunch of headless chooks.

I think, in layman's terms, we're trying to change from a stoppage/contested focused team with high repeat entries, to one with more turnover focus and scoring from the back half.

Doesn't appear to be working that well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing to do with game style, you watch the game and you can see clear as day Oliver isn't the same player, lacking any sort of explosiveness, been trending that way for the past 2 years for anyone watching. Terrible defensive "efforts" show up more often, that's got nothing to do with style either, that's 100% a willingness.

If you want to give him an out for the lack of preseason go ahead, but this is far more of a gradual drop off from 2021 to me. Played one Oliver type game this year against the Dogs and the rest of the year has been Matt Crouch, Taylor Adams, Tom Mitchell material.

Think our list is way over rated. Last few years of recruiting have trash and brought us back in line / behind the rest of our rivals.

I think, in layman's terms, we're trying to change from a stoppage/contested focused team with high repeat entries, to one with more turnover focus and scoring from the back half.

Doesn't appear to be working that well

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep. We've drafted and recruited for this contested, clearance, high inside 50 midfield, but now we're playing a style completely opposite to that and people are wondering why our midfield is all of a sudden no good.

We don't have the skills for the style they're trying to play. One look at the points from turnovers tonight tells you that.

The main change to our game style is we've gone for a more chip kick mark style to try and change our ball movement rather than just bomb it long to Gawn down the wing. Both styles suck and handicap us because we don't exploit the opportunities the stand rule offers.

We also don't want to give anything up defensively so when we do transition and break defensive lines we end up either having to slow down on the wing or kick to an even match up and miss out on easy goals.

As far as clearances go our game style shouldnt affect our centre clearance game but we've gone from 4th last year to 16th in that area. Our mids are horribly out of form.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison...

Clearance Differential
2023 - 4th
2024 - 12th

Centre Clearance Differential
2023 - 6th
2024 - 11th

Inside 50 Differential
2023 - 3rd
2024 - 14th

Marks Per Game
2023 - 17th
2024 - 5th

Pretty clear we're playing a different style to last year.

Mini rebuild isnt going to do anything. We are still ****ed when Gawn and May are gone. Trading Oliver, Viney and Sparrow for whatever we can get and opening up cap space should be the play but we are too gutless to do that.
Wouldn't that be a mini rebuild? Or move Petty to defence to replace Tmac(and ultimately May in a year or two), and throw up some names like Salem, Oliver, Sparrow to see what we can get. Hit up a few players or hit the draft for needs. Anything is better than what we're doing currently. Our list management of our talls is embarrassing tbh. WTF are we doing? Can't see a plan for the future at all.

Here's a comparison...

Clearance Differential
2023 - 4th
2024 - 12th

Centre Clearance Differential
2023 - 6th
2024 - 11th

Inside 50 Differential
2023 - 3rd
2024 - 14th

Marks Per Game
2023 - 17th
2024 - 5th

Pretty clear we're playing a different style to last year.
That’s grim

Nothing to do with game style, you watch the game and you can see clear as day Oliver isn't the same player, lacking any sort of explosiveness, been trending that way for the past 2 years for anyone watching. Terrible defensive "efforts" show up more often, that's got nothing to do with style either, that's 100% a willingness.

If you want to give him an out for the lack of preseason go ahead, but this is far more of a gradual drop off from 2021 to me. Played one Oliver type game this year against the Dogs and the rest of the year has been Matt Crouch, Taylor Adams, Tom Mitchell material.
Oliver is struggling, no question, but where is the midfield depth? Our issues run much deeper than 1 mid.

Goodwin has shaped the list to a very speciific game style and were very slow as a result.

In the process he's also taken Gawn, Trac & Oliver for granted for far too long and neglected that part of the ground IMO.
After maybe Viney it's slim pickings.
Going forward, we have Windsor to develop but not much else.

Even worse, we need Petracca in 2 different places at once and I suspect he will be burnt out later this year. We have **** all quality to rotate in the guts.

Biproduct is we have too many peripheral type players on the list who just don't make an impact and we have now limited our game style options.

Wouldn't that be a mini rebuild? Or move Petty to defence to replace Tmac(and ultimately May in a year or two), and throw up some names like Salem, Oliver, Sparrow to see what we can get. Hit up a few players or hit the draft for needs. Anything is better than what we're doing currently. Our list management of our talls is embarrassing tbh. WTF are we doing? Can't see a plan for the future at all.
I think we've timed it too late, we had a chance to sack the coach and turn the list over a bit for a mini rebuild last offseason and be ready by 2026, now the players we could have traded are worth less, we are one year closer to Tasmania coming in. Pretty much ****ed either way. Get ready for at least 5-7 years of disappointing mediocrity. Hire Craig Jennings and at least have a chance of making it enjoyable week to week while being mediocre, but yeah we wont do that like Legs said. Too gutless and scared of a new Norm Smith scenario spun by the media despite the coach being nowhere near the level of Norm Smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we've timed it too late, we had a chance to sack the coach and turn the list over a bit for a mini rebuild last offseason and be ready by 2026, now the players we could have traded are worth less, we are one year closer to Tasmania coming in. Pretty much ****ed either way. Get ready for at least another 5 years of disappointing mediocrity. Hire Craig Jennings and at least have a chance of making it enjoyable week to week while being mediocre, but yeah we wont do that like Legs said. Too gutless and scared of a new Norm Smith scenario spun by the media despite the coach being nowhere near the level of Norm Smith.
Only hope is if Roo calls Goody in for an interview i reckon. If Adelaide continue to struggle, i reckon Goody is a sneaky chance for the Crows. But it still leaves our list in a mess. But hey, Cats and Swans continually rebuild their list over a season or two and are always up there. Will take some creative thinking and some balls, but it's possible. I just have NFI what we are actually doing with this list. Need to make some big plays but doubtful we have the management who have the balls to do it.

Will never happen but I’d like to see Petty go back to defence. Salem, Oliver, Billings, Sparrow, BBB dropped.

Rivers, ANB, Pickett, Woewodin, Windsor with Petracca in small bursts in the guts.

A smaller and more dynamic forward line.

Sestan, K Brown and Verrall blooded.

B: McVee - May - Petty
HB: Howes - Lever - Bowey
C: Langdon - ANB - Windsor
HF: Pickett - JVR - Chandler
F: Fritsch - Petracca - McAdam
R: Gawn - Rivers - Viney
I: Verrall/Turner - K Brown - Sestan - Woewodin

Will never happen but I’d like to see Petty go back to defence. Salem, Oliver, Billings, Sparrow, BBB dropped.

Rivers, ANB, Pickett, Woewodin, Windsor with Petracca in small bursts in the guts.

Surely the Petty experiment up forward ends today!? Brown never plays again at AFL level. Although we've all said that multiple times! Tmac looks cooked now too. Solid start to the year, but last two weeks he's looked gassed, Happy to play the kids now. Get some debut's happening. I want to see Sestan and Wakefield asap.

100% agree, great looking side.

Oliver is struggling, no question, but where is the midfield depth? Our issues run much deeper than 1 mid.

Goodwin has shaped the list to a very speciific game style and were very slow as a result.

In the process he's also taken Gawn, Trac & Oliver for granted for far too long and neglected that part of the ground IMO.
After maybe Viney it's slim pickings.
Going forward, we have Windsor to develop but not much else.

Even worse, we need Petracca in 2 different places at once and I suspect he will be burnt out later this year. We have heck all quality to rotate in the guts.

Biproduct is we have too many peripheral type players on the list who just don't make an impact and we have now limited our game style options.
This is goody type thinking.
Pickett, Rivers, Mcvee, Chandler, Windsor, Woewodin etc could all go into the midfield but we will only play guys with the inside contest dna

Pickett, Rivers, Mcvee, Chandler, Windsor, Woewodin etc could all go into the midfield but we will only play guys with the inside contest dna
We need to rotate some of those blokes but it's a makeshift solution to a bigger problem. I think we need to trade in a quality mid or two but given we let Jordon go I don't see it happening.

We need to rotate some of those blokes but it's a makeshift solution to a bigger problem. I think we need to trade in a quality mid or two but given we let Jordon go I don't see it happening.
Trade them in and do what? Play them on the forward flank? We already have two midfield cloggers in Oliver and Viney probably getting paid 2 million between them who can't play anywhere else.

Trade them in and do what? Play them on the forward flank? We already have two midfield cloggers in Oliver and Viney probably getting paid 2 million between them who can't play anywhere else.
I said quality. If we want to move Petracca around we need another quality contested ball winner.

Viney slowing up and Oliver is an unknown quantity going forward.

If we're relying on those other blokes we're getting torched every week. Windsor looks promising but will take time. Pickett has been underutilised and as a result is still to make an impact.

I said quality. If we want to move Petracca around we need another quality contested ball winner.

Viney slowing up and Oliver is an unknown quantity going forward.

If we're relying on those other blokes we're getting torched every week. Windsor looks promising but will take time. Pickett has been underutilised and as a result is still to make an impact.
🤮

The last thing this list needs is more contested ball winners

Like or not and I don't Oliver's for a 50 million dollar contract for about 20 more years and can't play anywhere else so we're stuck with him.

In 2022, Geelong started rolling a number of options through the middle Atkins, Blicavs, Dangerfield, Cuthrie, Duncan, Selwood, Holmes, O’Connor and Touhy as well as getting Cameron, Miers and Close more involved further up the ground.

In 2023, Collingwood used Adams, Crisp, DeGoey, Naicos, Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Mitchell as well as their half forwards like Hill and McCreery up the ground.

This year Sydney have Adams, Gulden, Heeney, Rowbottom, Warner, Florent, McInerney, Roberts, Papley and the great James Jordon as options with Mills and Parker to come back.

Countless other teams are doing this now too.

But I reckon Goody will have the last laugh. Playing Trac, Oliver and Viney in the guts with the odd cb featuring Tommy Sparrow is bound to pay off sometime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back