Toast The Curious Case of Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything started to fall apart from the moment JD missed what would have been his seventh goal vs Richmond after the siren. Also would have been his 300th career goal. Big fella is still stuck on 299. God speed on your recovery and burning it up again soon King.

Wanted to post specifically about Jack Darling and this thread seemed as apt as ever.
It's fair to say that Darling has been a polarising figure since even before he was drafting.
IIRC there was much made about his lack of height for a key forward, much made about his various adolescent indiscretions and his lack of domination at U18 level despite having some sensational hitouts as a bottom-ager in 2009.

Darling has now been with West Coast for almost 12 seasons.
Suffice to say there have been some ups and downs with him (as evidenced by this thread) as well as the handful of occasions when Darling developed a case of rubber chest (unfortunately, a few of those being on the biggest stage).

Darling now has played 254 games with us. His game this afternoon moves him ahead of Peter Matera into outright 8th position of all time.
If he plays the next three games, as expected, he will finish 2022 with 257 games.
Averaged over 12 seasons that comes to 21.4 games per seasons. He typically stays on the ground between 95%-100% of game time as well.
That means he is probably the most consistent and indestructible player in West Coast's history.

With this in mind when looking forward to 2023 I think we will see Darling achieve the following:
1. move into 4th of West Coast's all times games record behind only Hurn, Cox and Kennedy (about 277-278 games); and
2. move into 2nd of West Coast's all times goals record behind only Kennedy (needs 35 goals to equal Sumich in second place).

I've long been an ardent defender of Jack and I think that the fact that he will likely achieve the above on or around his 31st birthday is testament to somebody who, despite popular opinion, has been a valiant contributor which, at times, reached imperious heights. I also recall the purple patch during about 2015-2018 when he was arguably the most unselfish player in the AFL and would consistently hand goals to teammates off the back of his strong marking and bullocking work.

Looking at his draft selection (pick 26, 2010 draft) there is a strong argument that he should be the no. 1 rated player from that draft year.
The other two players in consideration would be Luke Parker (pick 40) and Tom Lynch (pick 11). Both, like Darling, have received All-Australian accolades and both have been part of premiership teams.

Tom Lynch is probably the best comparison.
On attributes he should rightly be the better player.
He, after all, has 8 cm and 5+ kg on Darling.
Despite this he has played 46 less games than Darling (i.e. 2 seasons worth of games) and kicked 52 less goals than Darling.
It's also worth noting that Darling is a far more respectable player than Lynch and some of his petulant behaviour over the years.

Anyway, I wanted to post in another thread that wasn't Darling's 250 games thread as we looked forward to Darling becoming one of the most decorated players in West Coast history. I really hope that he ends with our games record and achieves 600+ goals.

I think Darling is a great reminder that you can't simply quantify the sum of what a player will achieve based on physical attributes or assessments of juvenile behaviour. Sometimes a player can transcend these contrived limits. I, for one, am mighty glad that all other teams selecting before us in 2010 deemed Darling as not worthy and instead picked players like Gorringe, Cook, Tape, Smedts, Watson, Pitt, Lamb and Karnezis who appeared to have the better attributes/record. The combined total games played by these eights players selected before Darling is less than Darling has played in his career to date.

As we will hold similar picks in this years draft to 2010, here's hoping we get another diamond in the rough in the second round.

2f2f0c79432ea00aab708f076bb2f3e1

Last edited:
Averaged over 12 seasons that comes to 21.4 games per seasons.
That means he is probably the most consistent and indestructible player in West Coast's history.

With this in mind when looking forward to 2023 I think we will see Darling achieve the following:
1. move into 4th of West Coast's all times games record behind only Hurn, Cox and Kennedy (about 277-278 games); and
2. move into 2nd of West Coast's all times goals record behind only Kennedy (needs 35 goals to equal Sumich in second place).

Well now he'll probably break both legs getting out of bed tomorrow and never play again.

Has always appeared to be very durable
I suspect very professional when it comes to preparation, diet etc.
JD and Gaff - two players that were very much "set and forget" for the next 12 years after that 2010 draft
Not to mention Mcgovern, lycett,,... great draft for WCE

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that Brisbane supporter on here who kept trolling and posting that they got the better player? I think it was about 2013 just before Karnezis was traded to Collingwood.

Man. I remember thinking Karnezis was going to be a gun.
Remember that Brisbane supporter on here who kept trolling and posting that they got the better player? I think it was about 2013 just before Karnezis was traded to Collingwood.
Now that you mention it, yes! That ended up going well for them..

Anyway, I love this thread and I love JD . Thanks for timely bump ep :)

8 votes to 71 😂

Darling, Allen, Waterman, Cripps, Ryan, Rioli

As much as the post-JK world is gonna suck, our forward line is still our best line, and a lot of that is because of big dopey Ovaries Darling.

Still remember that draft as one I followed closely because of how crap we were, and seeing all the clubs overlook Darling (including us!) and then my elation when we took him after madly refreshing my browser over and over.

Mad respect for everything he does. Hopefully Allen is fit and firing next year and can take some of those long kicks down the wing 2 on 1 and five Darling a break.
So much this.
He may be frustrating, but kick 6 goals - and being available for every kick down the line, before running back to goal is a supreme effort.
Our game plan is so predictable, every other side knows if they cover him on those kicks we have no other avenue of transition.

So much this.
He may be frustrating, but kick 6 goals - and being available for every kick down the line, before running back to goal is a supreme effort.
Our game plan is so predictable, every other side knows if they cover him on those kicks we have no other avenue of transition.
Also consistently plays close to 100% of game time and has done for nearly all of his career.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back