emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
In Victoria, for years there was North Melbourne and South Melbourne both in the VFL and previously the VFA, before the South Melbourne Swans moved to Sydney and became the Sydney Swans from 1982. But what of West and East Melbourne? There were VFA teams called West Melbourne and East Melbourne, but West Melbourne folded in the early 1900s while East Melbourne disbanded in the 1880s.

Across the border in South Australia, there are SANFL teams North Adelaide, South Adelaide and West Adelaide, but I have never heard of an East Adelaide team, either in the SANFL in its early years or in a lower grade competition. Was there ever an East Adelaide Football Club, and if so what was it like and what happened to it?

In Western Australia, there is West Perth and East Perth, and South Fremantle and East Fremantle in the WAFL. For many years, there was a South Perth Football Club (known as the Tigers) which played in lower grade competitions (such as Sunday League) before forming a joint venture with Canning and Victoria Park and still playing in the amateurs. Some years ago, there was a North Perth Football Club which played in the amateurs, but I couldn't find any reference to it after the 1970s and I don't know much about it. Does anyone have any information on this long forgotten team?

Down the road in Fremantle, there was a North Fremantle Football Club called the Magpies which played in the WAFL in the Edwardian era. It was the WA equivalent of VFL team University, promising enough on debut but declined in the early 1910s before withdrawing after 1914. However, the North Fremantle Magpies continue to play to this day - they are a powerful amateur team, and previously fielded teams in other competitions around Perth. It stands to reason that there was no West Fremantle Football Club - unless it played on Rottnest, Garden or Carnac Islands.

In Rugby League, the NSWRL for years had Norths (Bears), Souths (Rabbitohs), Wests (Magpies) and Easts (Roosters). The Roosters have not played as Eastern Suburbs since 1994, North Sydney have been out of the NRL since 1999 (although it was part of the ill fated Northern Eagles joint venture with Manly in 2000-2001), the Wests Tigers is a joint venture between Balmain and Western Suburbs, and only South Sydney play under their original name.

In Queensland, there is NRL team North Queensland Cowboys which joined in 1995, but that year a South Queensland team known as the Crushers joined along with the Cowboys, but it folded after 3 years in 1997.

Queensland's state rugby league competition also had Norths (Devils), Souths (Magpies), Wests (Panthers) and Easts (Tigers). Norths and Easts continue, while Souths formed a joint venture with the struggling Logan Scorpions to form the Souths Logan Magpies from 2003 onwards. Wests were a powerful team in the 1990s, but the fortunes of the Panthers declined in the early 2000s and while it still exists, it no longer has a team in the Queensland Cup.

North Freo Grandstand, oldest in WA

Jqji0Cu.jpg

On the banks of the Swan, boats moored in the background.

Ph0iMkL.jpg

North Fremantle are a very good side and have a pretty impressive history. Queen Victoria Street has a statue with all the men who played for the club who died in the war; there was a lot. Great well kept ground as well.

I'd like to know a lot more about West and East Melbourne. Why did the former play at the East Melbourne Cricket Ground? I can see why both died down though; has West Melbourne always been a lot more industrial? There are way less terraced houses and I guess they were always going to try and merge with North Melbourne at some point. East probably died down because they fit in between Richmond and Melbourne – hard to find players?

Both West and East Melbourne are relatively small, insignificant suburbs so would have struggled for support you'd imagine. Particularly being surrounded by much larger clubs.

I have always been interested in Cremorne and the lunatic crime family that bought up all the houses around there in the 90's, put money on it , that it has been transformed into yuppysville these days.

I have always been interested in Cremorne and the lunatic crime family that bought up all the houses around there in the 90's, put money on it , that it has been transformed into yuppysville these days.
Cremorne is a nothing suburb; the shops are all basically just that farther side of Richmond (East Richmond). The nice houses and parks are just a quiet part. File under North Essendon.

Cremorne is a nothing suburb; the shops are all basically just that farther side of Richmond (East Richmond). The nice houses and parks are just a quiet part. File under North Essendon.

I had a look via google maps and yer it does look a bit bland and uninteresting, i was thinking there were more pubs and interesting landmarks.

This is what caught my attention though

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...l/news-story/c829dbb82ff64e64454100f281fbed2f

EACH time the gold-laden tattooed figure of the deadly drug dealer Dennis Allen walked in my wife’s heart missed a beat and mine was filled with trepidation.

I can imagine the fear footballer Fred Cook felt and the terrible uncertainty of what would happen next when cold-eyed Allen visited.

We were all faced by an unstable character with a gruesome background in murder.

As a partner in the then notorious backstreet pub, the Cherry Tree, in Richmond, the time finally came when I had to stand my ground

I had a look via google maps and yer it does look a bit bland and uninteresting, i was thinking there were more pubs and interesting landmarks.

This is what caught my attention though

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...l/news-story/c829dbb82ff64e64454100f281fbed2f

EACH time the gold-laden tattooed figure of the deadly drug dealer Dennis Allen walked in my wife’s heart missed a beat and mine was filled with trepidation.

I can imagine the fear footballer Fred Cook felt and the terrible uncertainty of what would happen next when cold-eyed Allen visited.

We were all faced by an unstable character with a gruesome background in murder.

As a partner in the then notorious backstreet pub, the Cherry Tree, in Richmond, the time finally came when I had to stand my ground
I wouldn't say Cremorne is bad, neither is East Melbourne (it's like Melbourne's Chelsea – decadent) or West Melbourne, but it's small and generally seems no different to Richmond proper. The train goes past the more suburban section and that's a great little area if you want to bring up kids and have a mil and a half to buy a terrace...

The 4-team Broken Hill competition has North Broken Hill, South Broken Hill, West Broken Hill but no East Broken Hill - the 4th team is Central Broken Hill.

In Victoria, for years there was North Melbourne and South Melbourne both in the VFL and previously the VFA, before the South Melbourne Swans moved to Sydney and became the Sydney Swans from 1982. But what of West and East Melbourne? There were VFA teams called West Melbourne and East Melbourne, but West Melbourne folded in the early 1900s while East Melbourne disbanded in the 1880s.

Across the border in South Australia, there are SANFL teams North Adelaide, South Adelaide and West Adelaide, but I have never heard of an East Adelaide team, either in the SANFL in its early years or in a lower grade competition. Was there ever an East Adelaide Football Club, and if so what was it like and what happened to it?

In Western Australia, there is West Perth and East Perth, and South Fremantle and East Fremantle in the WAFL. For many years, there was a South Perth Football Club (known as the Tigers) which played in lower grade competitions (such as Sunday League) before forming a joint venture with Canning and Victoria Park and still playing in the amateurs. Some years ago, there was a North Perth Football Club which played in the amateurs, but I couldn't find any reference to it after the 1970s and I don't know much about it. Does anyone have any information on this long forgotten team?

Down the road in Fremantle, there was a North Fremantle Football Club called the Magpies which played in the WAFL in the Edwardian era. It was the WA equivalent of VFL team University, promising enough on debut but declined in the early 1910s before withdrawing after 1914. However, the North Fremantle Magpies continue to play to this day - they are a powerful amateur team, and previously fielded teams in other competitions around Perth. It stands to reason that there was no West Fremantle Football Club - unless it played on Rottnest, Garden or Carnac Islands.

In Rugby League, the NSWRL for years had Norths (Bears), Souths (Rabbitohs), Wests (Magpies) and Easts (Roosters). The Roosters have not played as Eastern Suburbs since 1994, North Sydney have been out of the NRL since 1999 (although it was part of the ill fated Northern Eagles joint venture with Manly in 2000-2001), the Wests Tigers is a joint venture between Balmain and Western Suburbs, and only South Sydney play under their original name.

In Queensland, there is NRL team North Queensland Cowboys which joined in 1995, but that year a South Queensland team known as the Crushers joined along with the Cowboys, but it folded after 3 years in 1997.

Queensland's state rugby league competition also had Norths (Devils), Souths (Magpies), Wests (Panthers) and Easts (Tigers). Norths and Easts continue, while Souths formed a joint venture with the struggling Logan Scorpions to form the Souths Logan Magpies from 2003 onwards. Wests were a powerful team in the 1990s, but the fortunes of the Panthers declined in the early 2000s and while it still exists, it no longer has a team in the Queensland Cup.
Don't think there has ever been an East Adelaide team, nor is there a suburb of that name. Norwood is and has always been the de facto East Adelaide team. I vaguely recall seeing a Kensington team in the early days but they didn't last long.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The 4-team Broken Hill competition has North Broken Hill, South Broken Hill, West Broken Hill but no East Broken Hill - the 4th team is Central Broken Hill.

Similarly, the 6-team Whyalla league has North, South, West, and Central Whyalla, plus Roopena and Weerona Bay.

The OP had a giggle as to why there is no 'West Fremantle FC' but interestingly in the 'pre VFL' VFA there was a South Williamstown club. Must have played in Port Phillip Bay.

Did merge with Williamstown eventually but i would have liked to have watched the 'Willy' derby back in the day.

The OP had a giggle as to why there is no 'West Fremantle FC' but interestingly in the 'pre VFL' VFA there was a South Williamstown club. Must have played in Port Phillip Bay.

Did merge with Williamstown eventually but i would have liked to have watched the 'Willy' derby back in the day.

South Williamstown was at the cricket ground, Williamstown was based at gardens reserve
South Williamstown never played a game against Williamstown, not the vfa anyway

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Launceston and North Launceston partnered City South in the NTFA, before East Launceston joined in 1948. City South and East merged to become South Launceston. Launceston never changed their name, but to all intents and purposes they might as well be West Launceston, because that's the side of the river they moved to when they relocated from the centre of town to Windsor Park decades ago, and where they draw their zones from...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back