Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, fair enough then.

Appreciate the insight, dogs fans. Cheers!

From a list strategy perspective, we would be phasing out anyone older than Bont and retaining anyone younger and of value (which includes Dale). Our next potential tilt probably has Bont in his early thirties, Naughton and Jamarra in their mid-late twenties etc.

From a list strategy perspective, we would be phasing out anyone older than Bont and retaining anyone younger and of value (which includes Dale). Our next potential tilt probably has Bont in his early thirties, Naughton and Jamarra in their mid-late twenties etc.
Given Bont is 28 that is 2 to 3 years away.

Who 29 or above looks like they would be still capable of good football anyway?

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty sad that despite the position we find ourselves in we currently have picks 28 and 47 to show for it.
On the flip side after the Suns haul last year of Walter, Read, Rogers and Graham they currently hold 2x top ten picks and 3 picks in the early second round.
With likelihood of Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Busslinger & Lobb leaving the dogs could net a few picks. Lobb hasn't lost much value so hopefully a 2nd round pick. Busslinger a late first/early 2nd, Smith mid first or late first with some change. Macrae 3rd, Daniel 3rd. Need to use the picks to address the list balance like the lack of lock down defenders and key backs.

We will get more and we have our father sons next year
I'm at the point where unless one of them is a top 5 MID, which isn't looking likely at this point. I'd rather the club ditch sentiment and pick best available, instead of throwing all our picks away chasing more FS for the sake of it, especially if that position is well stocked. Part of our list imbalance has been due to the lack of picks, due to the fact we had to match academy and father son picks. Plus throwing picks away on poor "role" players.

Only a couple of more drafts until it is severely compromised by TAS. Now is the best time to start stocking up and drafting as many players as we can.

Last edited:
Given Bont is 28 that is 2 to 3 years away.

I think we should be planning for 3-5 years from now, which gives us time to rebuild our midfield. I reckon Bont will still be playing decent footy up to 33-35, even if he's playing more forward by then.

Who 29 or above looks like they would be still capable of good football anyway?

Jones, Treloar and Libba have been playing good footy, but won't be part of our next tilt.

I'm at the point where unless one of them is a top 5 MID, which isn't looking likely at this point. I'd rather the club ditch sentiment and pick best available, instead of throwing all our picks away chasing more FS. Part of our list imbalance has been due to the lack of picks, due to the fact we had to match academy and father son picks. Plus throwing picks away on poor "role" players.

Only a couple of more drafts until it is severely compromised by TAS. Now is the best time to start stocking up and drafting as many players as we can.
We should always pick the best available in the first 2 rounds, speculate after that. If father sons are genuine first 2 rounds no issues

I think we should be planning for 3-5 years from now, which gives us time to rebuild our midfield. I reckon Bont will still be playing decent footy up to 33-35, even if he's playing more forward by then.

Jones, Treloar and Libba have been playing good footy, but won't be part of our next tilt.
More pessimistic than me Scrag, think we are only 2 seasons away from a genuine tilt

With likelihood of Smith, Macrae, Daniel, Busslinger & Lobb leaving the dogs could net a few picks. Lobb hasn't lost much value so hopefully a 2nd round pick. Busslinger a late first/early 2nd, Smith mid first or late first with some change. Macrae 3rd, Daniel 3rd. Need to use the picks to address the list balance like the lack of lock down defenders and key backs.
Macrea is definitely staying, the others are all possibilities.

The Buss stuff seems to be growing more legs….we need to up his value massively. Maybe that’s why he’s not playing. No point playing a kid who wants out
If he is gone no point developing him at AFL level for someone else,

Even play him forward if need be so Croft can then develop down back where he is required more

Our list is fine i think. Change of coach, voice and game plan and we get a quick bounce.

Buckley and the pies 2nd last same list prelim then flag.

Cameron and the Giants bottom 4 same list prelim and up there this year.

Next year Bont still in prime.

Naughton and Marra could be the best forward combo with a proper Structure.

Darcy in his 4th year and English to do 50/50 ruck forward.

Cody back with another pre season. West another pre season.

Do a lot or running to get them fit.

We are short changed down back so Jones would need to keep his level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our list is fine i think. Change of coach, voice and game plan and we get a quick bounce.

Buckley and the pies 2nd last same list prelim then flag.

Cameron and the Giants bottom 4 same list prelim and up there this year.

Next year Bont still in prime.

Naughton and Marra could be the best forward combo with a proper Structure.

Darcy in his 4th year and English to do 50/50 ruck forward.

Cody back with another pre season. West another pre season.

Do a lot or running to get them fit.

We are short changed down back so Jones would need to keep his level.
See my post about the list / experience.

The list is not fine. We need mids developing

More pessimistic than me Scrag, think we are only 2 seasons away from a genuine tilt
You blokes keep talking about our next tilt.

I'm confused. Which one is it?

This one?
1715215551607.jpeg

Or this one?
1715215590405.jpeg

I'm more comfortable with the JUH 2 years than I was earlier.

The elephant in the room is the long term viability of the JUH, Naughton & Darcy trio (& potentially English). It certainly hasn't set the world on fire and the jury is still out on whether that will be the best use of our resources in the long run.

The club can reassess in 18 months time whether that's the path they want to take and commit long term salary to all of them or whether they move one of them on for a draft haul + salary cap space.

I'm more comfortable with the JUH 2 years than I was earlier.

The elephant in the room is the long term viability of the JUH, Naughton & Darcy trio (& potentially English). It certainly hasn't set the world on fire and the jury is still out on whether that will be the best use of our resources in the long run.

The club can reassess in 18 months time whether that's the path they want to take and commit long term salary to all of them or whether they move one of them on for a draft haul + salary cap space.
The club put in a lot of resources to get those three.

There's no way they're now going to trade them out. You build around those players you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

What's our starting midfield in 2 seasons? Who are our key backs? Who are our wings?
Mids from:
Bont
Sanders
Richards
Smith
Gallagher
Harmes

Plus whoever we add in the next 2 years of drafts

Key Backs
JOD
Buss
Croft
Plus whoever we add in the next 2 seasons (our 2016 key backs we Hamling and Roberts)

Wings
Freijah
O'Driscoll
Plus whoever we pick up in the next 2 years

We do have 2 seasons of drafts and trading to strengthen these areas

Our list is fine. Put in any half-decent coach with this list and they are playing finals easily. Put in an excellent coach and the Bulldogs are challenging for a flag this year. I will say though, bringing back Smith and Buds, and dumping English is the right move. Unfortunately, it looks like the opposite is going happen.

What's our starting midfield in 2 seasons? Who are our key backs? Who are our wings?

Bont, Sanders, Baz if he stays/someone we draft this year with the pick we get for him, Richards, and I reckon Garcia has shown a lot this year.

Croft, JOD, and Busslinger.

Freijah, Williams, Arty maybe.

Last edited:
There are only two on the list you could fairly confidently say will be playing midfield in 2 years and it's Bontempelli and Sanders.

There are a few maybes, Treloar could still be going then, Ed Richards has played a bit there, Rhylee West I think still has a part to play there, but outside of that it's pretty thin. Bailey Smith and Josh Dunkley would be the obvious ones but one is likely out the door and the other is already gone.

If we move on Lobb, Smith and Daniel we could have 4 picks inside the first 40 of the draft. That will hopefully bolster our new mid rotations.

2027 midfield:
Bont
Sanders (with 50 games experience)
Draftee (with 40 games experience)
Macrae
West (HF rotation, with 100 games experience)
Gallagher (Wing rotation, with 50 games experience)
Draftee (with 40 games experience)

Richards I think stays back as JJ, Duryea and Jones will be gone.

2027 team:
FB: Williams, ???, Busslinger/Croft
HB: Richards, JOD, Dale
C: Gallagher, Sanders, ????
HF: West, JUH, ????
FF: Darcy, Naughton, Weightman
R: English, Bont, ????
Int: Macrae, Bramble, ????, ????

We clearly need a full back and outside mids basically. Coffield/Garcia/Arty Jones/Clarke etc could also develop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back