Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Tim English partner now living in Melbourne and her parents living in country Victoria?

That’s what I was told by someone who thinks a Melbourne base club may make a play for Tim

If he leaves it’ll be to a Vic club. Wouldn’t mind the top 4 pick, also happy to keep him.

Is Tim English partner now living in Melbourne and her parents living in country Victoria?

That’s what I was told by someone who thinks a Melbourne base club may make a play for Tim
I honestly don’t think he was ever really a threat to leave Victoria. He seems incredibly settled.

All of the prior contract talks reek of his manager trying to get the best long term deal and I feel like those big offers have dried up slightly.

I’d probably say to his management at this point that we’re offering you a 5 x 800k deal. We respect and value your contribution but we aren’t going to hinder our future cap situation and overpay. If he walks then we get the top 5ish pick and keep Lobb. The club has to be completely fine with both scenarios.

I honestly don’t think he was ever really a threat to leave Victoria. He seems incredibly settled.

All of the prior contract talks reek of his manager trying to get the best long term deal and I feel like those big offers have dried up slightly.

I’d probably say to his management at this point that we’re offering you a 5 x 800k deal. We respect and value your contribution but we aren’t going to hinder our future cap situation and overpay. If he walks then we get the top 5ish pick and keep Lobb. The club has to be completely fine with both scenarios.
1. English is likely to stay
2. We won't finish in the bottom 4. Unless we lose to Norf and we have them twice. That won't happen.

Doesn't matter what money English is offered and accepts, if he stays we still have him as our 1st ruck for several years to come. The issue then becomes if this is the best outcome for us. Would we still have hundreds of posts regularly written for seasons to come regarding his alleged softness and lack of physicality?
If he can't change, can we just accept this, concentrate on his positive contributions and stop our constant criticism?
Personally, I'd like to be clear in my mind about English but right now I'm stuck on the fence. Que sera sera.

1. English is likely to stay
2. We won't finish in the bottom 4. Unless we lose to Norf and we have them twice. That won't happen.
Okay 5th last which will give us pick 6. Results don't go the bookies way but if they do we'll be sitting at around 8-15 at the end of the year.

Mitch Cleary just even said on the Tradies podcast towards the end at 5.20 minute mark that we were into Max Holmes.
I doubt we were ever a chance. Players like that just don't leave Geelong.

He's on his way to becoming one of the stars on the competition. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a top 10 player/brownlow fancy in a year or two.

I doubt we were ever a chance. Players like that just don't leave Geelong.

He's on his way to becoming one of the stars on the competition. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a top 10 player/brownlow fancy in a year or two.
I agree he was never going to never Geelong but you have to ask the question.

Fox Footy Article

THE FOUR CLUBS THAT COULD LOBB OFFERS AT RORY

Out-of-favour Western Bulldogs ruck-forward Rory Lobb reportedly has trade interest from at least four rival clubs as he remains out of favour with Luke Beveridge’s match committee.

According to Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph, the 31-year-old would be out the Whitten Oval doors if a midyear movement period was currently in effect.
Rory Lobb, if there’s a mid-season trade period, he would be asking for a trade,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Tuesday evening.

“Quite clearly, he’s been pushed out of that side a lot.

“I can tell you some of the clubs who are in that ballpark — of course, this (could) develop across the season — Melbourne can give Max Gawn a chop-out if he played for them, Collingwood, St Kilda and North Melbourne.

“They’re four of the clubs who’d be kicking his tyres right now. Things can change as the scenario unfolds. He wants to play.”

The Swan Districts product recently raised eyebrows when he made light of his selection situation on TikTok.

Lobb remains contracted to the Dogs until the end of the 2026 season.

Why would Lobb go to St Kilda and play seconds except when Max King is injured?

Why would Lobb go to St Kilda and play seconds except when Max King is injured?
He wouldn't. He would play the forward/ruck role he plays with us. St Kilda don't really have another tall down there. Membrey plays as a tall but he's 188cms, Owens plays down there but he's more useful elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fox Footy Article

THE FOUR CLUBS THAT COULD LOBB OFFERS AT RORY

Out-of-favour Western Bulldogs ruck-forward Rory Lobb reportedly has trade interest from at least four rival clubs as he remains out of favour with Luke Beveridge’s match committee.

According to Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph, the 31-year-old would be out the Whitten Oval doors if a midyear movement period was currently in effect.
“Rory Lobb, if there’s a mid-season trade period, he would be asking for a trade,” Ralph told Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle on Tuesday evening.

“Quite clearly, he’s been pushed out of that side a lot.

“I can tell you some of the clubs who are in that ballpark — of course, this (could) develop across the season — Melbourne can give Max Gawn a chop-out if he played for them, Collingwood, St Kilda and North Melbourne.

“They’re four of the clubs who’d be kicking his tyres right now. Things can change as the scenario unfolds. He wants to play.”

The Swan Districts product recently raised eyebrows when he made light of his selection situation on TikTok.

Lobb remains contracted to the Dogs until the end of the 2026 season.
It's good of the AFL media fraternity to confirm that they have no idea what a contract is.

Lobb is contracted so if we want him to stay, he stays.

No where in this article or the others floating around by Rucci do they demonstrate the brain power to link Lobb's position on our list to what happens with Tim English's contract.

It's good of the AFL media fraternity to confirm that they have no idea what a contract is.

Lobb is contracted so if we want him to stay, he stays.

No where in this article or the others floating around by Rucci do they demonstrate the brain power to link Lobb's position on our list to what happens with Tim English's contract.
If some other club were to take on the entirety of Lobb's contract and pay us more than just a nominal third round pick for it, we'd make that trade in a heartbeat, irrespective of English' contract status or indeed how good we even think Lobb is or isn't a player.

As it stands it just makes no sense to be paying that much money to what is our fourth best key forward (who would be the second best key forward at other clubs). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that and other clubs and the media understand that.

If some other club were to take on the entirety of Lobb's contract and pay us more than just a nominal third round pick for it, we'd make that trade in a heartbeat, irrespective of English' contract status or indeed how good we even think Lobb is or isn't a player.

As it stands it just makes no sense to be paying that much money to what is our fourth best key forward (who would be the second best key forward at other clubs). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that and other clubs and the media understand that.
Less than the average player payment???
The contract was spread over 4 years not 3

Less than the average player payment???
The contract was spread over 4 years not 3
Yes, because we're not picking him for games, and you want to minimise the salary cap spend on players in your reserves, because they cannot contribute to AFL wins in the reserves.

Yes, because we're not picking him for games, and you want to minimise the salary cap spend on players in your reserves, because they cannot contribute to AFL wins in the reserves.
Given he is on $500k, you have to pay close to that for depth. You are winning nothing unless you have a squad of at least 32 who can genuinely play a role in the senior side and given where English and Darcy are at the moment he is not expensive depth for those areas at all

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we'll be making any decision on Lobb's future at the club until English's contract status is resolved.

Sure, Bevo doesn't favour traditional ruckmen but there is no way we are going into the the off-season with Darcy, Smith and Gardner as our ruck contingent if English walks and Lobb is offloaded.

Lobb's future at the club is largely contingent on English's future at the club.

In any case, Collingwood and who ever else can make all the inquiries with Lobb's management that they like but we'll be making the call on whether he plays at the club in 2025.

I don't think we'll be making any decision on Lobb's future at the club until English's contract status is resolved.

Sure, Bevo doesn't favour traditional ruckmen but there is no way we are going into the the off-season with Darcy, Smith and Gardner as our ruck contingent if English walks and Lobb is offloaded.

Lobb's future at the club is largely contingent on English's future at the club.

In any case, Collingwood and who ever else can make all the inquiries with Lobb's management that they like but we'll be making the call on whether he plays at the club in 2025.
I don't think it's that difficult to go out and recruit whatever ruck has gotten games recently and is on the market. Look at the ease that Sydney got Grundy, for example.

In any case, Lobb is more of a key forward than he is a ruck in my view.

I don't think it's that difficult to go out and recruit whatever ruck has gotten games recently and is on the market. Look at the ease that Sydney got Grundy, for example.

In any case, Lobb is more of a key forward than he is a ruck in my view.
This has gone a long way from my original point on the media reporting regarding Lobb.

He is under contract and we'll ultimately decide if he plays for the club in 2025.

Given he is on $500k, you have to pay close to that for depth. You are winning nothing unless you have a squad of at least 32 who can genuinely play a role in the senior side and given where English and Darcy are at the moment he is not expensive depth for those areas at all

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, even if English stays I'd be keeping Lobb unless offered something very good (eg early to mid second).

Sure he might not play unless one of English or Darcy is out, but they've both been pretty injury prone.

We shouldn't under rate the value of quality depth in arguably the hardest position to fill, just because he hasn't been needed yet.

G'day Dogs fans.

So... Bailey Dale.

An absolute gun on and off-the field, and exactly the kind of player NMFC need for the next few years as we seek to lift ourselves off the bottom of the ladder.

Given the likely departure of Bevo at the end of this season (not trolling/being mean - just assume this is something that you all believe is likely?) do you think Dale would be 'gettable' in a trade?

And if so, what's he likely to cost in terms of draft picks?

Cheers!

G'day Dogs fans.

So... Bailey Dale.

An absolute gun on and off-the field, and exactly the kind of player NMFC need for the next few years as we seek to lift ourselves off the bottom of the ladder.

Given the likely departure of Bevo at the end of this season (not trolling/being mean - just assume this is something that you all believe is likely?) do you think Dale would be 'gettable' in a trade?

Cheers!

I think it'd be really unlikely Dale would be traded. He's ahead of Daniel in the pecking order off half back, and JJ isn't getting any younger - that one game as sub seemed like a much needed circuit breaker rather than a sign he was out of favour. Would definitely ask for a first rounder I imagine.

G'day Dogs fans.

So... Bailey Dale.

Cheers!
Swap for LDU?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back