Trade + FA targets 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Rucks are overrated. We won with cox and Cameron. Geel before that. Dees with Gawn are obviously good but I think you can make do with 5-600k rucks and invest elsewhere.

Port last night are an example of that. Soldo is average but they dominated because they have the $ in mids
I agree with you if we're just talking the ruck contest, but those who offer something else is it's almost look having an extra spare man. Gawn makes that Melbourne defence so hard to penetrate. Jackson is almost like having an extra mid around the ball.

Not everyone has the Travis Cloke career trajectory, and keys are playing longer than ever…
Hawkins, Casboult, Walker, Gunston, Reid and Dixon. List of KPF 32 yo or more still going. Apart from the 2 freaks bound for the HOF any that you want at Collingwood.

Hawkins, Casboult, Walker, Gunston, Reid and Dixon. List of KPF 32 yo or more still going. Apart from the 2 freaks bound for the HOF any that you want at Collingwood.

I definitely would have taken Dixon two years ago, at a comparable age to Taberner now.

I’m interested to see who we’ll bring in with our reportedly massive cap space.

It’s weird that we haven’t been linked to anyone yet about from Holmes and Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not Since got Wright in.

Not much Coming Out from Club

I’m interested to see who we’ll bring in with our reportedly massive cap space.

It’s weird that we haven’t been linked to anyone yet about from Holmes and Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You can rule out homes and smith.

We werent linked to anyone last year either until late

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the guys on The Tackle we’ve ruled out trading anymore first rounders and that is what those two will cost.
I'd still do it for Smith or Holmes, it won't be a top 5 pick so who cares? may as well lock some guaranteed quality in.

And if Holmes was available and willing I just couldn't see us saying sorry we have a new policy, no 1st rounders.

I'd still do it for Smith or Holmes, it won't be a top 5 pick so who cares? may as well lock some guaranteed quality in.

And if Holmes was available and willing I just couldn't see us saying sorry we have a new policy, no 1st rounders.
The thing is, you wouldn't know what that pick may be until end of 2025, given we have no current 1st rounder for this year. So that would be a gamble yet again, and we've already stressed that giving up a F1 for schultz was bad enough.
So if you give up another F1, that would be 3 future 1sts in 5 years.
7 in the last decade.

What if we fall off a cliff in the next 12 months or lose a bunch of games and it ends up being a top 5-7 pick? Thats the risk you have to take, or not. Even a top 10 pick would be too much.

The thing is, you wouldn't know what that pick may be until end of 2025, given we have no current 1st rounder for this year. So that would be a gamble yet again, and we've already stressed that giving up a F1 for schultz was bad enough.
So if you give up another F1, that would be 3 future 1sts in 5 years.
7 in the last decade.

What if we fall off a cliff in the next 12 months or lose a bunch of games and it ends up being a top 5-7 pick? Thats the risk you have to take, or not. Even a top 10 pick would be too much.
Whatever pick it is you'd be hard pressed getting a better player than Holmes, it's a no brainer for me.

If we play the RFA game and really go hard at those types, there are plenty of more attractive options in 2025 by which point it is critical to our list management that we target these three areas:
  • Key Forward: Oscar Allen, Darcy Fogarty
  • Inside Midfielder: Luke Davies-Uniacke, Andrew Brayshaw
  • Intercept Defender: Sam Taylor, Noah Balta (can play either end)
With the exception of GWS, I would profile the other 5 sides to be low down the ladder in 2025. So hopefully if we were heavily targeting one of those types it could help persuade the club not to match if they are getting a high end first.

Fogarty is clearly a few steps below the others on this list, but I believe could be a similar McStay type target (hopefully without the injuries).

Matt Rowell IMO is a perfect complement to Nick Daicos in midfield. He is one who is out of contract but not an RFA, so it would take draft capital to get him.

According to the guys on The Tackle we’ve ruled out trading anymore first rounders and that is what those two will cost.
I find it weird that everyone is taking the guesswork (yes, they basically said they were guessing) of a couple of journos as gospel in terms of what our trade plans are.

I find it weird that everyone is taking the guesswork (yes, they basically said they were guessing) of a couple of journos as gospel in terms of what our trade plans are.
I agee about taking too much weight on what the journos are saying here

But I think you can take it as read that Glenn McFarlane had a few discussions over the drip tray at Gather Round with the likes of Ned and that is where the stories emanated from. Ned probably playing them all on a break

The players i would be targeting over the next 18 months would be

Rowell
Sam Taylor
Arron Cadman
Bailey Smith

Max Holmes (he wanted to come last Year)

All 5 are gettable only thing is that we need draft picks to trade for them which we don't have. This is our stumbling block
For example to get Cadman GWS will want 2 first round picks Rowell and Taylor we may have to trade picks too so not sure what we do

Senior Players we may lose in 18 months

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Cox
Howe
Hoskin Elliot
Mihochek
Tommy Mitchell

Jamie Elliot ?
Crisp ( could be at tail end of career but may be kept on on reduced $$$)

Rowell
Sam Taylor
Arron Cadman
Bailey Smith

All 5 are gettable only thing is that we need draft picks to trade for them which we don't have. This is our stumbling block
For example to get Cadman GWS will want 2 first round picks Rowell and Taylor we may have to trade picks too so not sure what we do

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Cox
Howe
Hoskin Elliot
Mihochek
Tommy Mitchell

Jamie Elliot ?
I don't think we'll be shopping top shelf. Too many to replace.

Rowell
Sam Taylor
Arron Cadman
Bailey Smith

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Cox
Howe
Hoskin Elliot
Mihochek
Tommy Mitchell

Jamie Elliot ?
Its been mentioned its unlikely we'll be trading anymore 1st round picks, but rather using FA to get top shelf players.

If we play the RFA game and really go hard at those types, there are plenty of more attractive options in 2025 by which point it is critical to our list management that we target these three areas:
  • Key Forward: Oscar Allen, Darcy Fogarty
  • Inside Midfielder: Luke Davies-Uniacke, Andrew Brayshaw
  • Intercept Defender: Sam Taylor, Noah Balta (can play either end)
With the exception of GWS, I would profile the other 5 sides to be low down the ladder in 2025. So hopefully if we were heavily targeting one of those types it could help persuade the club not to match if they are getting a high end first.

Fogarty is clearly a few steps below the others on this list, but I believe could be a similar McStay type target (hopefully without the injuries).

Matt Rowell IMO is a perfect complement to Nick Daicos in midfield. He is one who is out of contract but not an RFA, so it would take draft capital to get him.
Fogarty, LD-U and Taylor would be wet dream material.

Kings ransom to budge Rowell I agree but what a duo.

LDU, Will Phillips, Jack Lukosius.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back