VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the whole game but I saw him run himself into trouble 5-6 times in the period I watched. 2-3 times he coughed the ball up but often he got out of it because he's got a better turn of pace and is stronger than the average VFL player. At AFL level he wouldn't be breaking the tackle or getting through the gap that he's able to do at VFL level.
Maybe I need new glasses or my memory is failing me.

Anyway, all good.

Sorry but there's no way in the world "he's better than half a dozen players in our current team". Clark looked a class above Mannagh yesterday and right now he's right on the border of our best team. I'd have Mannagh right in the Hardie, Knevitt, Humphries mix for next in line but not clearly ahead of them.

I think Mannagh is suffering a bit from the gulf in class between AFL and VFL now that the are more clubs diluting the talent. It's trained him into some bad habits. It's frustrating because there's some class there but he can't be taking the game on in those naive ways at AFL level.

Im not talking about clark i actually think hes better than mannagh and will be elite.

I am talking about guthrie (who is clearly either injured or woefully out of form), tuohy, rohan, moc, parfitt and even atkins much as i love axe (i would have put jack on this list but hes needed for structure). Mannagh is in better form than all of those guys right now and likely to contribute more currently.

I understand what youre saying about bad habits however these are the types of habits more vfl wont get out of him because the speed of vfl isnt quick enough to challenge him that way. He needs to play afl and if he does what you think he will im confident he will learn from that quickly and by years end be a rounded player. But more vfl isnt going to teach him that.
You either have to play him or if you think thats not viable then you trade him to a contending club that wants him.

I strongly disagree on both fronts.

1. He was sub. Watching him every week only ends up enraging me. There is nothing he excels at but tackling. A metric for footballers without the footy.
2. In his free agency year and has reached a disposal average above 20 just once. Unlikely to do so this season. That is objectively by anyone's measure below AFL average and below AFL standard.

Comparing Brandan to Bews is very unfair on Jed. Jed has actually at times been very good in his position.
Sounds like a you problem that you're enraged by the presence of a footballer. I'd suggest meditation or just growing up.

Premiership player, brother. I'll let Jimmy Bartel know you don't rate tackles in spite of his 16 he laid in the 2009 GF.

Sounds like a you problem that you're enraged by the presence of a footballer. I'd suggest meditation or just growing up.

Premiership player, brother. I'll let Jimmy Bartel know you don't rate tackles in spite of his 16 he laid in the 2009 GF.
Puh-lease.

Comparing Jimmy to Brandan now.
What is he good at?

Bring in Hardie or Mannagh for Cuthrie, blokes almost cooked

One week ago he had a team high 7 clearances against Port. He deserves way more time coming back from a year out than 4 weeks when one of them was in tropical conditions where he played less than 40% game time.

The only possible solutions to our midfield woes this year are Holmes, Danger and Guthrie. It would be insane to drop him even if he's looked shit so far.

I think the biggest issue with jeka is not his contest work per se but defensive running. When his team doesnt have the ball theres times where he just jogs and doesnt cut off space but then when its in his area he can close at speed and use the ball well. To me he just lacks intensity which is annoying because everything else with him is afl standard.
Don’t like to pile-on a player, but very poor reaction by Jeka to a free kick paid against in Q3. Was only a moment in the game, but looked petulant and wouldn’t have helped chances of getting an AFL game with us.

I strongly disagree on both fronts.

1. He was sub. Watching him every week only ends up enraging me. There is nothing he excels at but tackling. A metric for footballers without the footy.
2. In his free agency year and has reached a disposal average above 20 just once. Unlikely to do so this season. That is objectively by anyone's measure below AFL average and below AFL standard.

Comparing Brandan to Bews is very unfair on Jed. Jed has actually at times been very good in his position.

Given matches go for 120mins and the most any single player has the footy in their hands is about 2mins, I'd say what a player does for the 118mins they don't have the footy is fairly important.

Especially for Parfitt in his role as a defensive mid. He's ranked 11th in the AFL for tackles per game, he's also ranked 5th in the entire comp for pressure acts per game, and 2nd at the club for clearances.

Given his low TOG% comparative to those ranked higher than him, a case could be made for him being one of the best defensive mids in the comp. He's no Petracca but you can't have a Petracca without a Viney.

VFL Round 9

Geelong v GWS Giants
12.05pm AEST, Saturday May 25, 2024
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong

In: Brandan Parfitt, Mark O'Connor, Kye Annand, Lewis Antonac

Out: Jhye Clark (AFL), Hamish Sinnott, Tanner Lovell, Tanner Lewis

BacksC. O'Sullivan (14)D. Capiron (50)O. Murdoch (31)
Half BacksM. O'Connor (42)E. Jeka (43)L. Humphries (17)
CentrelineT. Clohesy (40)M. Hardie (41)M. Knevitt (10)
Half ForwardsP. Foster (19)J. Pike (84)J. Willis (20)
ForwardsP. Hughes (64)S. Mannagh (7)K. Bradtke (48)
FollowersA. Kuol mun (56)B. Parfitt (3)G. Stevens (15)
InterchangeD. Edmends (53)M. Herbert (62)T. White (63)
L. Antonac (79)K. Annand (59)
23rd PlayerJ. Pike (84)
EmergenciesT. Lewis (66)T. Murray (61)H. Sinnott (65)
T. Norton (67)W. Sheahan (72)T. Lovell (78)
R. Hutchins (76)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holding the ball against Jeka leads to GWS's first shot on goal - only a

But we see the same thing in the series called holding the man for taking to Jeka to ground after the ball was knocked from his hands in the tackle - problem with the umpire being behind the play and not knowing Jeka Fiske have possession

Mannagh with his first and we've got 3 on the board
Looks like they are sticking with him as a forward and not trialling Mid in VFL. He does look like a very natural forward - but hard to get a spot in our AFL team from there!

Knevitt on the wing…would like to see him play more in the guts in VFL? To get him around the action more?

Harries work rate must be good and/or his read of the game as he gets lots of balls in space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back