List Mgmt. Welcome Harry Barnett (Pick 23, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely stoked with this draft so far, was in the phone to dad this morning and we were discussing the need for a ruck at this pick. Absolutely over the moon noone picked him in front of us - this draft is killer - im pretty happy if we get a bit more speculative from here!!

I think it comes down to the ceiling on this guy. I don't know much about him. Being the best ruck in a draft is one thing - but will he be good overall. For a second round selection - I'd expect him to become our number 1 ruck in 4 or 5 years.

Still doesn't help solve our ruck dilemma and in some ways, it makes it worse. We have Jamo and Williams still developing and no mature options to cover if Nic goes down. One of them either needs to take a big step in 2023 or we'll need to cut some losses and get a mature one in at the end of the season.

ESPN

Love the athleticism.

19. Harry Barnett (SANFL - West Adelaide)

This year's most highly touted ruckman, Barnett is a contested marking weapon whether pushing forward or behind the ball. While accustomed to playing through the ruck, with how well Barnett reads the ball in flight and how commanding of a contested mark he is, as evidenced by his nine contested marks across his final four SANFL Under-18 games, Barnett could just as easily be developed as a key defender.

What makes Barnett other than his contested marking such an impressive ruckman is his combination of athleticism and strength by position. At the AFL Draft Combine, Barnett managed testing results better than most midfielders with a 6:32 minute 2km time trial and a 3 second 20-metre sprint. Though the middle, Barnett is an effective tap ruckman, but what separates him at ruck contests is his strength to win the ball himself out of the ruck before disposing of the football.

October Ranking: Outside 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely stoked with this draft so far, was in the phone to dad this morning and we were discussing the need for a ruck at this pick. Absolutely over the moon noone picked him in front of us - this draft is killer - im pretty happy if we get a bit more speculative from here!!

Well just so long as you discussed it with your Dad.

I think it comes down to the ceiling on this guy. I don't know much about him. Being the best ruck in a draft is one thing - but will he be good overall. For a second round selection - I'd expect him to become our number 1 ruck in 4 or 5 years.

Still doesn't help solve our ruck dilemma and in some ways, it makes it worse. We have Jamo and Williams still developing and no mature options to cover if Nic goes down. One of them either needs to take a big step in 2023 or we'll need to cut some losses and get a mature one in at the end of the season.
Stop your bloody whinging, we just drafted the best young ruckman available FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back