Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 43 - Tom Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

43. Tom Barrass - Claremont (192cm, 81kg, key defender)

293246.jpg

From AFL Draft Tracker:
Tall defender with good ability to read the ball in flight. Comes off his opponent at the right time to affect the contest and uses the ball smartly on the counter-attack. Possesses a penetrating and accurate left foot that can carry the lines, complemented with a strong overhead mark.

He's a great intercept backmen, loves to float in front of contests and take marks.

One on one ability probably isn't his absolute strength, he's not the quickest or the tallest defender but he's pretty agile and dexterous below his knees.

Hands are good and his kicking is probably just ok. He's capable of finding his targets but doesn't have much hurt factor. Rohan O'brien said he's 195cm so he could be a full sized KPD.

He's a great intercept backmen, loves to float in front of contests and take marks.

One on one ability probably isn't his absolute strength, he's not the quickest or the tallest defender but he's pretty agile and dexterous below his knees.

Hands are good and his kicking is probably just ok. He's capable of finding his targets but doesn't have much hurt factor. Rohan O'brien said he's 195cm so he could be a full sized KPD.

I thought his kicking was significantly better than that?

Pick 37 – FREMANTLE

Tom Barrass
Team: Claremont
D.O.B:
Height:
192cm
Weight: 81kg
Position: Tall Defender
Plays Like: Harry Taylor
The 192cm, 81kg Claremont product has played as WA’s key defender in the championships, taking on the bigger offensive weapons on the opposing side, whilst also offering the ability to rebound from half back, and organize his comrades in defence. Barrass was a late bloomer, for in the past 18 months he has shot up 8cms, and there could still be some to go. He was never really sited in any of WA’s elite junior programs, but when he made the move to Hale School, talent managers started to take note, and within that period, he was invited over to the highly prodigious Claremont Colts side, relishing the chance to play high-grade junior football. Despite playing as a forward earlier on in his junior career, a move to defence has seen Barrass flourish in the role, with a better understanding of the game from a forward, and defenders point of view. Considered to be a leader and a motivator, Barrass has plenty of tools to become a very good key defender with the ability to press forward should the opportunity present itself. When it comes to Barrass’ disposal, he is remarkably elite in this area. His disposal at Colts level is a class above, despite not a lot of it being on show at the Nationals, given he played largely a lock down role. Beautiful long, penetrating kick of the footy, Barrass has some real weapons.

His kicking is okay but not elite. I actually think he has a fair bit of utility. He is very good below his knees and was top 10 in agility at draft camp. I could easily see him forward or back, as a third tall or on the flanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking is okay but not elite. I actually think he has a fair bit of utility. He is very good below his knees and was top 10 in agility at draft camp. I could easily see him forward or back, as a third tall or on the flanks.

Already puts him ahead of Glass and EMac at the same stage of their careers.

People seem to forget how derided Glass was when he first played for us. You'd sit there at the games and hear audible groans from the crowd every time he went to kick the ball.

People seem to forget how derided Glass was when he first played for us. You'd sit there at the games and hear audible groans from the crowd every time he went to kick the ball.

Agreed. I don't think its bad at all, I just don't see him as an elite kick like that profile above was trying to pump it up.

He was terrrrrrrrubule at kicking and everyone hated him the first few years.

And now...

finally we are back to drafting good cmont boys with good atars

solid pick up to bolster key defensive stocks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back