Toast Welcome to West Coast pick 43 - Tom Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that 50 paid against him? He looked a bit shaky with the ball, it's understandable being a first gamer. He seems lost out there.

Negatory, 50 was against Priddis for encroaching on the side of the 5 metre protected zone I'm pretty sure.

Looks good. Will probably not be a Mackenzie lock-down replacement but will allow McGovern to play forward.

Thought he was ok. 1 on 1 in the air he seemed to zone off a long way and just let his man go, though perhaps this is the instruction. Had quite a few nearly moments in packs and his ground ball win against goodes a highlight.
As expected a bit nervous with the ball taking his time and not spotting up targets perfectly but we have def got something to work with here

It's the WC way, let the oppositions key forwards go when they go outside the 50m arc & hold your position in front of goal.

Promising debut, particularly given the history of our KPD's taking time to develop.

Thank god Buddy didn't play.

Looks good. Will probably not be a Mackenzie lock-down replacement but will allow McGovern to play forward.
Put another 7 - 10 kg's on him and hopefully he'll have the strength to do it. He definitely has the build.

I'm normally pretty reserved when it comes to the new players but I have a really good feeling about this kid. I see more in him than I saw with Glassy and Emac.

I was impressed by him. looked good in the air. He took the safe option when kicking but you can understand that in his first game

Normally with the big blokes starting off you'll find that a lot of their kicks will fall short of the target. I couldn't remember any of Tom's doing this, they were all pretty much full. For a first gamer he was really composed.

This week will be a good test too if Schofield doesn't play. Decent enough competition but he shouldn't be cut up if he was playing on someone like a Buddy or a Roughy. The quality of supply going into the Suns forward line will be critical.

I thought he was pretty good actually, just some food for thought. What happens when GOV and Schoey are in the team. Do we use Barras and play GOVa s a swing man?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked that he nearly took a big screamer but was beaten to it by Naitanui ,if you see it you`ll know what I mean .

Barrass is a good size and movers very well across the ground .
Naita did that to someone else too, was it Yeo or Sinclair maybe...My point is that on two contested marking occasions during the game, two of our players got their hands in the exact right spot (and Naita took the mark in both cases) , with no Swan getting close to punching it. Judgement in this team is pretty good at the moment.

The feeling I got was, okay we kinda had a back-up there if Naitanui miss-timed his leap or if he wasn't there at all in the contest. Small thing, but good signs.

I thought Barrass had a good game and will inevitably become more confident. As someone else said, when you debut as a KPD, all you really need to achieve is to make a contest and not make a fool of yourself when you have the pill.

With McGovern and Schofield highly likely to miss this weekends game looks like Barrass will be picking up GC key forward. Another opportunity to see how he goes.
Yeah but knowing hurn wellingham and shep. one of them will be lingering to help out if he needs it.

congrats to Barrass on his debut. reminded me of Alex Pearce's debut. ie nervous and did not want to make a mistake. he went back and took his time on every possession so that slowed the ball movement and that allowed the swans to nearly cause turnovers. will be better for the run and more instinctive and agressive

Love Tommy. Another preseason and i think we have a third tall for next season allowing Simpson the luxury of playing the Gov forward if he wants. (I dont want brown back in the side as anything more than the occasional game as a depth player)

Our club has really become a production line for AFL quality talls.

Best thing about barrass is he was effectively free !
We traded a third round pick in 2010 that we weren't even going to use to collingwood for a compo pick then 3 years later traded to GC for pick 43 ( barrass )

Well done to our recruiters for getting a potential gun KPD for free !

Sorry if this got posted somewhere else.
Hes staying, and the first i heard of it was on a podcast that wasn't the bigfooty eagles one.
They dont dissapear on me on derby week either, BADGE! Screenshot_20230810_141210_AFL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back