Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fall… a small budget thriller with just four speaking parts. About two climbers who scale a massive tower only to get stuck when the ladder breaks. Shows you can make an effective film with limited resources. Beautifully shot, lots of pans bring home the height and danger. Sadly the writing and acting is on the average side. In surer hands, it would be 90 minutes of existential dread. As it is, it gets the heart racing, you’re not constantly screaming at the stupidity of the characters as they make some reasonable efforts and the cleavage is first rate (it gets mentioned in the movie). 6.5/10 and worth a watch.

Barbie... I was kind of expecting this to be good, given reviews I had seen, but this still exceeded my expectations. It's very, very good, bursting with ideas, lots of themes to consider, and a female perspective that doesn't feel like 'preaching' as some have claimed but just frustration and hope. It delicately straddles the line between being a movie promoting a product and critiquing that product and while I'm sure it could have gone harder, I think they still managed to go pretty hard. I was sceptical about this receiving a Best Picture nomination as I thought it would be a crowd-pleasing but simple story (like Top Gun 2 last year) but it's well deserved. 8.5/10

My half arsed Marvel marathon has continued throughout the week

Finished The Avengers on Sunday and proceeded with Captain America: Winter Solider. I still consider The First Avenger to be the best (at least in my eyes) of the Captain America films. But Winter Soldier is still pretty good (my view of it is similar to The Dark Knight - take the comic characters out of it and it's a cool spy style movie). Would still get a 3/5 from me.

Avengers Age of Ultron - late Sunday and continued Monday
Not great imo, furthers along the infinity stones aspect of the saga. But felt more like a tv show filler episode. 2.5/5.

Captain America: Civil War Tuesday night
Enjoyed it, loved the Stark/Rogers conflict 3/5.

Spider-man: Homecoming
Initially was not going to include this in my half arsed marathon. But felt like some Michael Keaton goodness and as it had been a while since I last watched it (borderline 2 years ?) I queued it up. I felt it was more safe than innovative. I also dislike Tom Holland so there's that which doesn't entice me to watch the movie regularly. It's kinda funny I loathe Chris Evans... yet can separate the actor from the role when it comes to Captain America.... but I just can't do the same with T.Holland. Homecoming gets a 3/5 from me as it was mildly entertaining.

Thor: Ragnarok (Thursday night movie)
I loved the original Thor (yet did not want to watch it as part of the marathon in this instance) - it's a closer MOTU movie than the MOTU live action attempt from the 80's.... and anything else they'll cook up in the future :p. The third entry did a better GOTG style movie (throwing more comedy into the mix) than the GOTG movies themselves. Enjoyed the mix and liked the easter eggs (setting up the Infinity War). 3.5/5

I like the Marvel movies... perhaps I just like them a little less than I used to. If I truly hated them I wouldn't be running through a select few of them (half arsed marathon mode). It's nice to revisit them.

Will queue up Infinity War tonight and End Game tomorrow night to finish things off. I was tinkering ending it with No Way Home - but I last watched that not too long ago (and am TRYING to not re-watch things as frequently as before lol).

Barbie... I was kind of expecting this to be good, given reviews I had seen, but this still exceeded my expectations. It's very, very good, bursting with ideas, lots of themes to consider, and a female perspective that doesn't feel like 'preaching' as some have claimed but just frustration and hope. It delicately straddles the line between being a movie promoting a product and critiquing that product and while I'm sure it could have gone harder, I think they still managed to go pretty hard. I was sceptical about this receiving a Best Picture nomination as I thought it would be a crowd-pleasing but simple story (like Top Gun 2 last year) but it's well deserved. 8.5/10
Yeah I tried but didn't even get 20 minutes in before turning it off.

ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2U1MzRiODdjLTFmNDktNDhjNi04YzY0LTk4YTRkYzg1YTBjMS5qcGc=

Monkey Man (2024)
What a talent West Horsham born-and-bred Dev Patel is! Broke his hand filming the first fight scene- what a trooper- also loved that he's fighting the same bad guys over and over again- this was shot during COVID bubble so they had a really small cast, the actors would get a haircut or their eyebrows shaved and drawn on again between takes so they looked different, and you really can't tell... very cool! They also had to rebuild the props to re-use them. It felt a bit weird seeing a film set in "India" which wasn't actually India but that's a minor criticism, it is so nice to see an ultra-violent film with mad action scenes that isn't the same tired Hollywood bullshit with a roided up ex-Wrestler in the lead. Very gory, very good! 10/10

the first turn-on!!
80's t+a, infantile humor, so right up my alley. apparently vincent d'onofrio's first film. a few memorable scenes, including a nice young lady taking on two guys in a bowling alley lane.

getting lucky
leprechaun stuck in a beer bottle grants 3 wishes to a nerd. also infantile but less t+a, less humor. overplays the morals of the lead guy to the point of parody, and our heroes get married before leaving college. also a memorable scene - the leprechaun with a honey i shrunk the kids moment taking place has our nerd struggling to escape his love interests' underwear.

the first turn-on!!
80's t+a, infantile humor, so right up my alley. apparently vincent d'onofrio's first film. a few memorable scenes, including a nice young lady taking on two guys in a bowling alley lane.
I looked this up and have no recollection - some stills look familiar and the plot scratches a memory but tying it down is difficult. I may have to watch for research purposes

Made by Troma I would have consumed it somehow - maybe a weekly video on a 10fer deal spammed over the weekend
getting lucky
leprechaun stuck in a beer bottle grants 3 wishes to a nerd. also infantile but less t+a, less humor. overplays the morals of the lead guy to the point of parody, and our heroes get married before leaving college. also a memorable scene - the leprechaun with a honey i shrunk the kids moment taking place has our nerd struggling to escape his love interests' underwear.
No recollection at all and I dont think I will look for it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I looked this up and have no recollection - some stills look familiar and the plot scratches a memory but tying it down is difficult. I may have to watch for research purposes

Made by Troma I would have consumed it somehow - maybe a weekly video on a 10fer deal spammed over the weekend

No recollection at all and I dont think I will look for it

i still have a few of the early troma comedies to watch. stuck on you, squeeze play, waitress etc. am something of a troma collector, whether it's in-house productions or something they distributed for others, ie bloodsucking freaks. at close to 200 titles i've come to a point where i buy the wrong region codes to expand the collection. at some point i'll buy an external pc blu ray drive to play other region codes.

October Sky (1999)

In a 1950s US coal mining town, a teenage boy is inspired by the Sputnik satellite going into orbit to build rockets instead of following his father's footsteps. You could guess the plot based on that description. There's also a lot of cliched elements. But it's still enjoyable in wholesome kind of way. It would probably be a good movie for a family with teenagers to watch together.

A young Jake Gyllenhaal is good in the lead role. Chris Cooper and Laura Dern give a bit of star quality to some routine stuff.

6/10

IF… a strange movie, tonally. The presence of colourful CGI imaginary creatures and Ryan Reynolds might have you think it’s a Monster’s Inc kids film (the two families with three or four year olds making a racket and the parents having to shush them every two minutes certainly must have). But it’s more of a nostalgia driven adult film about imagination and retaining your childhood wonder. Possibly a bit slow for kids, possibly a bit predictable for adults but it is sweet and mostly entertaining. I’d much rather see an ambitious attempt by a director that doesn’t quite land than a by the numbers effort. 7/10.

October Sky (1999)

In a 1950s US coal mining town, a teenage boy is inspired by the Sputnik satellite going into orbit to build rockets instead of following his father's footsteps. You could guess the plot based on that description. There's also a lot of cliched elements. But it's still enjoyable in wholesome kind of way. It would probably be a good movie for a family with teenagers to watch together.

A young Jake Gyllenhaal is good in the lead role. Chris Cooper and Laura Dern give a bit of star quality to some routine stuff.

6/10
Love that movie

Smile
Horror movie on Netflix that's largely a metaphor for living with mental illness bjt with the social contagion element of movies like the ring or talk to me

Decent enough film avoided a few tropes, had some genuinely creepy moments

IF… a strange movie, tonally. The presence of colourful CGI imaginary creatures and Ryan Reynolds might have you think it’s a Monster’s Inc kids film (the two families with three or four year olds making a racket and the parents having to shush them every two minutes certainly must have). But it’s more of a nostalgia driven adult film about imagination and retaining your childhood wonder. Possibly a bit slow for kids, possibly a bit predictable for adults but it is sweet and mostly entertaining. I’d much rather see an ambitious attempt by a director that doesn’t quite land than a by the numbers effort. 7/10.
We might have been in the same session 😂 it’s not a movie for three year olds and the parents didn’t seem to care

The Vanishing 1993
Jeff Bridges Sandra Bullock, Kieffer Sutherland, Nancy Travis

Somewhat intriguing story but not overly groundbreaking. I felt some of the story was rushed and poorly executed. It's a remake with a better ending. One scene in particular was unrealistic and as I said a lazy approach that could have been thought out better.

The acting was definitely en fuego with this one
I seem to be getting on a roll with Bridges and Sutherland movies.

6/10 another movie that matched the consensus

The Vanishing 1993
Jeff Bridges Sandra Bullock, Kieffer Sutherland, Nancy Travis

Somewhat intriguing story but not overly groundbreaking. I felt some of the story was rushed and poorly executed. It's a remake with a better ending. One scene in particular was unrealistic and as I said a lazy approach that could have been thought out better.

The acting was definitely en fuego with this one
I seem to be getting on a roll with Bridges and Sutherland movies.

6/10 another movie that matched the consensus

Are you saying this is a remake with a better ending than the original or that the original had the better ending? Because I think the consensus is it was the latter.

Are you saying this is a remake with a better ending than the original or that the original had the better ending? Because I think the consensus is it was the latter.
Sorry. I meant a more rounded happy ending for the audience. With a light hearted final scene. As I said that whole scene from the moment Rita heard the voice mail felt really weak and lazy and that was the start of the build for the alternate ending. The daughter scene was atrocious.

I got some Heavy Rain vibes from PS3 on this one.

I havent seen the original and there is yet another version with the same name in 1988 but the original had a lot of complaints too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back