Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Ritual 9/10
Four long time friends go to Norway for a hiking trip as a tribute to a fallen comrade. They stumble into a terrifying ordeal that tears their safe reality to shreds, and tests the questionable bonds of their friendship.

I really enjoyed this horror movie. It built a really heavy sense of foreboding and hopelessness for the characters with great acting, dialogue, direction, creature design, and interesting arc for the main character.

The mythology it created was cool and original, and it didn't feel a need to explain every reveal leaving it open to interpretation which is another aspect I liked.

Highly recommended, particularly if you are a fan of movies like the vvitch.

The Ritual 9/10
Four long time friends go to Norway for a hiking trip as a tribute to a fallen comrade. They stumble into a terrifying ordeal that tears their safe reality to shreds, and tests the questionable bonds of their friendship.

I really enjoyed this horror movie. It built a really heavy sense of foreboding and hopelessness for the characters with great acting, dialogue, direction, creature design, and interesting arc for the main character.

The mythology it created was cool and original, and it didn't feel a need to explain every reveal leaving it open to interpretation which is another aspect I liked.

Highly recommended, particularly if you are a fan of movies like the vvitch.
watched it a year or two ago

pretty decent

Dream Scenario… Nic Cage is an ordinary, if slightly gormless, college professor who suddenly starts appearing randomly in strangers’ dreams. A wacky premise that explores viral fame, social media, cancel culture and the like. Ambitious idea, watchable all the way through, suspected it was going to struggle to stick the landing given the premise, but it almost gets there. 7.5/10

The Final Countdown (1980)

Another of ibd77's suggestions. A US aircraft carrier encounters a strange weather phenomenon. Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen are the leads. It's pretty much Top Gun with time travel. Or Hot Shots without the gags. It's cheesy but it's good fun. I mean who doesn't like seeing dozens of F14s taking off from an aircraft carrier and chasing Mitsubishi Zeros.

5/10

Are you saying this is a remake with a better ending than the original or that the original had the better ending? Because I think the consensus is it was the latter.
Dutch original is the only one people should watch. Very good.

Gutless ending in the US version…no point even doing the remake.

IF

What a beautiful kids movie. My nephew gave it a 9/9 and my eldest gave it five stars. I cried through most of it. Just lovely.
Seconded!

I'd score it a little lower at 7.5/10. Kids movies often have better messages than movies aimed at older audiences. I went with my adult daughter and we both enjoyed it.

The Strangers Chapter 1 (2024): 5/10 Middling horror movie that doesn't offer anything new to the series. Seen one, you've seen them all.

The Matrix Revolutions (2003): 7/10 The two Matrix sequels continue to grow on me. This one has enough action to keep me entertained and a fulfilling close to the saga, so why go around again with a fourth installment!?

ENEMY (2014)

I saw this film when it released, but a decade later when a friend recommended it, I had no recollection of it, so thought I hadn't seen it and looked forward to an unseen gem. It wasn't until the very closing famous shot before I realized I had seen this film. I'm so stupid.

Anyway, having seen it with clarity of mind this time, it is undoubtedly a masterpiece of film-making. It may not be a perfect film, with a dash of everything, but it is the perfect representation of the beauty and artistry of film-making.

Credit to the script-writer, and the original story creator, mainly. But also to Denis Villeneuve who, in my opinion, can be so hit and miss, and so focused on visuals that the story/acting suffers. Not in this film tho.

To reiterate...Enemy is a masterpiece. It's the perfect marriage of surrealism/imagery and grounded character-driven story-telling. A perfect balance. Not too heavy and obscure that it loses itself.

The story keeps you wondering and guessing, on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out the truth in step with the main character. Is it this or is it that, you are never really sure the first viewing. There are plenty of subtle clues -- imagery, songs, throwaway lines -- that tell you, but you don't necessarily get a full grasp of them, but enough of a grasp to understand and make you want to watch again.

In closing, this is a perfect film for teaching how to make a film. It's not a perfect film, but it's a perfect example of great film-making, a great film to watch, a great film to teach, and the beauty of high cinema.

The Strangers Chapter 1 (2024): 5/10 Middling horror movie that doesn't offer anything new to the series. Seen one, you've seen them all.

The Matrix Revolutions (2003): 7/10 The two Matrix sequels continue to grow on me. This one has enough action to keep me entertained and a fulfilling close to the saga, so why go around again with a fourth installment!?
The Wachowskis didn’t want to but the studio was going to anyway, so Lana decided to at least make her own story while taking a few shots at the studio in the process. I actually didn’t mind it. I’ll always rather see a director’s own ambitious story over a studio’s money-maker. But the studio is now going ahead with another one anyway.

Last edited:
ENEMY (2014)

I saw this film when it released, but a decade later when a friend recommended it, I had no recollection of it, so thought I hadn't seen it and looked forward to an unseen gem. It wasn't until the very closing famous shot before I realized I had seen this film. I'm so stupid.

Anyway, having seen it with clarity of mind this time, it is undoubtedly a masterpiece of film-making. It may not be a perfect film, with a dash of everything, but it is the perfect representation of the beauty and artistry of film-making.

Credit to the script-writer, and the original story creator, mainly. But also to Denis Villeneuve who, in my opinion, can be so hit and miss, and so focused on visuals that the story/acting suffers. Not in this film tho.

To reiterate...Enemy is a masterpiece. It's the perfect marriage of surrealism/imagery and grounded character-driven story-telling. A perfect balance. Not too heavy and obscure that it loses itself.

The story keeps you wondering and guessing, on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out the truth in step with the main character. Is it this or is it that, you are never really sure the first viewing. There are plenty of subtle clues -- imagery, songs, throwaway lines -- that tell you, but you don't necessarily get a full grasp of them, but enough of a grasp to understand and make you want to watch again.

In closing, this is a perfect film for teaching how to make a film. It's not a perfect film, but it's a perfect example of great film-making, a great film to watch, a great film to teach, and the beauty of high cinema.
Re-written fir IMdB....

Credit to the script-writer, and the original story creator, mainly. But also to Denis Villeneuve who, in my opinion, can be so hit and miss, so focused on visuals that the story/acting suffers. Not in this film tho.

Enemy is a masterpiece. It's the perfect marriage of surrealism and grounded character-driven story-telling. A perfect balance. Not heavy-handed that it loses itself or becomes conceited. Not obscure that it aims to confuse the viewer or indulge in empty plot-twists or a twist ending like so many films seemingly set out to do.

Enemy keeps you wondering and enthralled, on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out the truth in step with the main character. Is it this or is it that? You are never really sure, just like the protagonist. There are plenty of subtle clues -- imagery, songs, throwaway lines -- that tell you, but you don't get a full grasp of them the first viewing. You get enough of a grasp to make you want to watch again.

The story genuinely unravels and organically goes where it needs to in order to reach (or find) its ending. The ending isn't some shock twist or even an ending. Instead, it's a realization, an epiphany for the protagonist. So the payoff for the viewer is incredibly rewarding.

In closing...t's not a perfect film, but it's a perfect example of great film-making, a perfect example of a great film to watch, a perfect example of a great film to teach, and the epitome of "high cinema" perfected.

ENEMY (2014)

Platform?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Final Countdown (1980)

Another of ibd77's suggestions. A US aircraft carrier encounters a strange weather phenomenon. Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen are the leads. It's pretty much Top Gun with time travel. Or Hot Shots without the gags. It's cheesy but it's good fun. I mean who doesn't like seeing dozens of F14s taking off from an aircraft carrier and chasing Mitsubishi Zeros.

5/10

There was a scene where the F14 nearly stalled out and rolled because it was flying too slow.

Avengers Infinity War

The change of formula that rejuvenated the MCU - shocking yet so exciting that
the villain wins at the end
Good mix of action and some comedic moments, outside of The First Avenger it'd probably be my favourite MCU movie (but not favourite Marvel movie overall - that would be The Punisher 2004!).

4/5

Avengers End Game
Loses points on a re-watch, some of it is a bit far fetched (but aren't most comic movies lol ?). Dislike that it undoes most of what was set up in Infinity War (wish they held firm and kept things as they were!). That said not a bad way to end 10+ years of overarching story line. The end battle was pure fan service.

3.5/51

Half Arsed Marvel Marathon Complete :p

Also squeezed in a super late night viewing of JAWS. Haven't watched it in quite a while (despite it being on tv several times a year - I've resisted the temptation). My choice was questionable (last thing I wanted was shark nightmares lol).
Forever a classic and I love it in 4K - makes it look like a modern movie (a 70's setting filmed in the 2020's lol).

House (1977)
Went to a screening of this famously weird and wild Japanese horror film. Rather than recap the plot or explain how it's weird and wild to those unfamiliar, I'll just link the trailer below, as it pretty accurately captures the vibe.

Glad to finally watch it, and yeah, it's incredibly weird. Definitely not a bad movie, but I don't think I loved it either - though I think it's one I'll obviously need to ruminate on for a bit.

ENEMY (2014)

One of Villenueve's best. His early movies like this show he was a high level director on smaller budgets also.

Barbie

I'm not even gonna talk about the movie itself, other than that it was a bit of fun. Good stuff.

I'm here to talk about Margot Robbie.

Not like that.

She's terrible at accents. She either does ridiculous over the top stuff like in I Tonya or Wolf of Wall Street or as Harley Quinn, or she ends up going in and out whatever she's supposed to be doing and her real accent. Her british accent years ago in About Time was deplorable, and her accent in Barbie was just a weird mix of American and Strayan. It was distracting. Annoying even.

I don't understand how this doesn't get talked about more.

Evil Does Not Exist (2023)

Ryusuke Hamaguchi's Drive My Car was amazing. It's a slow paced, three hour modern epic. But what I've watched of his other work hasn't come close to that standard. I found the subject matter for Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy quite dull.

The plot for Evil Does Not Exist is potentially interesting - the residents of a village oppose a proposed glamping site that might pollute their water and cause forest fires. But the movie is put together in a lacklustre and incoherent way. The cinematography isn't that great to justify extended sequences of tree tops, a man chopping wood or gathering water. There's a banal 20 minute town meeting with the developers. It then becomes the story of the developer representatives not liking their jobs. Why would we care about these people? The ending was weird and out of place even if you had followed the symbolism about the gutshot deer.

5/10

Evil Does Not Exist (2023)

Ryusuke Hamaguchi's Drive My Car was amazing. It's a slow paced, three hour modern epic. But what I've watched of his other work hasn't come close to that standard. I found the subject matter for Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy quite dull.

The plot for Evil Does Not Exist is potentially interesting - the residents of a village oppose a proposed glamping site that might pollute their water and cause forest fires. But the movie is put together in a lacklustre and incoherent way. The cinematography isn't that great to justify extended sequences of tree tops, a man chopping wood or gathering water. There's a banal 20 minute town meeting with the developers. It then becomes the story of the developer representatives not liking their jobs. Why would we care about these people? The ending was weird and out of place even if you had followed the symbolism about the gutshot deer.

5/10

Drive My Car is his best, agreed, but I liked this more than you did (and sounds like I liked Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy a lot more than you did).

I don't think the cinematography is flashy, but what it does convey is the simple beauty and tranquility of this life. The first half or whatever is this calm, meditative thing, and then suddenly it's upended by this Powerpoint presentation that is, in its own way, as violently out of place as the ending. The movie never really recovers to what it was - Zoom meetings with yuppy dickheads, long car trips venting about shitty jobs and lousy dates etc. I would say it's the least of his films I've seen (not caught Asako I & II), but that's more to do with his greatness as a film maker than anything.

The story is very minimal exploring and focusing on the investors interacting with the locals. I think the ending was great that it totally subverts and contradicts the title film and that perhaps there's always possible evil in anyone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back