Opinion Who Do We Want As Our Next Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s been spoken about in the media before that he’s in a similar situation to Carr at Port, with a succession plan for him to take over in 2026. Not sure if Sydney have ever confirmed that though
Thanks must've missed that.

And it is a s**t theory.
I remember a similar theory credited Wallace's success to Joyce who instilled a hard-nosed defensive accountability into the group, that faded each subsequent year in Wallac's tenure. But held us in good stead during 1997/98.

For me the jury has always been out on this one. The list McCartney was putting together was formidable. I think he had real talent for identifying and developing talent. But obviously a weakness keeping a list happy.

I remember that off-season when Griffen spit the dummy and we ended up selling the farm for T.Boyd, we were set to draft Lever and 2-meter Peter.

For those goldfish who can't remember the last time they went round the bowl...

the theory was maccas hard contested style set us up for 15/16 , but since that we've morphed into bevos mold of weak soft group of players
Absolutely the case. Took time for Bevo to soften them up. That tough contested game really started to fade after the grand final. More so, the hunger has gone.. it’s been gone for a couple of years now. Bevo’s motivation simply isn’t enough anymore.

In 15/16 we were a hard contested based team. Hard to play against.

16 we had the highest contested possession differential I think since WC

Paul Roos said he spoke to swans players after GF and said they just couldn’t go with our mids getting from contest to contest.
Absolutely the case. Took time for Bevo to soften them up. That tough contested game really started to fade after the grand final. More so, the hunger has gone.. it’s been gone for a couple of years now. Bevo’s motivation simply isn’t enough anymore.

In 15/16 we were a hard contested based team. Hard to play against.

16 we had the highest contested possession differential I think since WC

Paul Roos said he spoke to swans players after GF and said they just couldn’t go with our mids getting from contest to contest.

Sydney Swan players could not believe we kept that intensity for the whole game (2016 gf)

They thought at some point we would drop off

They relayed this to their coaches

Sydney Swan players could not believe we kept that intensity for the whole game (2016 gf)

They thought at some point we would drop off

They relayed this to their coaches
That's a stark contrast with 2024.
In 2016 we maintained the intensity from the first bounce of the EF ambush at Domain Stadium to the final siren at the MCG on 1st October.
On Sunday we could only keep up the intensity for 5 minutes.

This aspect of footy hasn't changed much since 2016 has it? The sides that maintain intensity for the longest win most matches. Sounds pretty simple doesn't it? But very few have discovered the secret to doing it. Maybe Geelong?

Interesting that none of our assistants are even considered in this conversation.
Pretty much an indictment on the Club Leaders.

Interesting that none of our assistants are even considered in this conversation.
Pretty much an indictment on the Club Leaders.

Not really.

At a guess I’d say 80-90% of head coaches are appointed from outside the football clubs. Apart from interims.

Unless it’s an indictment on all clubs in general?

Edit: Longmire and Goodwin the only current coaches as internal appointments.

And both were succession plans.

Dog supporter sentiment pretty much reflects league trends of appointing externally.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get a lot of fans obsession with Buckley. Really weird people want such an average coach that has done no coaching since getting canned.

Anyway, there was an article last year of 10 assistant coaches who are next in line. Just interview those guys and pick the best one. And then get great assistant coaches around him rather than Spangher.

I'm thinking Rutten as the bevo replacement. The guy took Dons to finals in his first year without Worsfold then Was shunted out after a poor turn the next year. He wanted the players to run and fitness was his biggest part of his coaching. However he was undermined by the board and especially sheeds in wanting Clarko and Hird and fubbed things completely.

I would love Cox or Carr but it seems they're setup to replace their clubs head coaches. I don't like the idea of Barlow and the ex coaches of dogs of King, Hansen & Gia might be best to be avoided.

King would be good. At Geelong now so would have a good understanding of the standards and tactics required to be an elite team. Was also with us during 2021 where I thought all barring a few weeks we were outstanding

Remove this Banner Ad

Back