NHL 13

Remove this Banner Ad

I've played it the last 2 nights. You can play the 3rd period between the Kings/Devils. Can also play Ultimate team although it wouldn't work for me, would sign me out of the EA servers each time after I got my cards. The last playable option is NHL Moments Live where you can play overtime in the Western Conference Final between the Kings and Coyotes. You have to play as the Kings in that. and score the winner. When I finally done it I was in my 6th OT.
Other things.
Love the look of the True Broadcast camera, although have only had a quick go on that as I got scored on very quickly so went back to the Ice camera but will give it a go later.
Skating is great and players have better momentum, quick players leave slower players behind. Having said that when you do get to top speed you can't turn on a dime like before which is a lot better.
Looking forward to this. Although will have to download and print out a better cover, can't have a Flyer sitting on my shelf. :p

Early impressions of it for me seem it will not do enough to make me stop playing NHL 12 where I have a nice GM Mode going. The momentum thing kinda made me feel as though the players had a ball and chain around their wastes and when a puck came loose and slower players chased it it kind of looked comical, maybe I'll get use to it. The hits also kinda felt weird and left a bit to be desired. Once I finally scored it felt a little bland, I don't think a light went off (Haven't been following hockey for long so maybe the stadium IRL just doesn't have one, or I just missed it completely) and it just kind of just went to a cutscene which was eh. Goalies look better though, more lifelike.

Other people might see the good in it, but it didn't really overly impress me in my first few plays.. Maybe once I've had some more time with it I'll enjoy it more. Unless the offline GM Mode has some insane new features I'll probably just save my money and carry on with NHL 12.

Were you the home or away team? If you're away it's basically silence for your goals only lights and sirens for home team goals.

The game looks a lot better than previous years, IMO.
It plays well except as has been mentioned the slow players take off painfully slow.
Goalies are better.
HUT disconnected for me too.

I'm not sure if I was the away team or not, only been playing NHL 12 since :p

But what you said should explain it.. which is actually pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm only looking at the negatives as I'm trying to save some money and don't wanna begin to love this... And I could play NHL 12 forever as it is the first NHL game I have played since one of the very early ones on PS2 so I had no real standards.

Some minor tweaks to the skating and I'd enjoy it, playing the demo atm is actually cool having the faster players break away from the slower ones, gives them more individuality.. If that's a word.. I still don't like how quickly things cut away after the whistle, I love being able to bump/fight the opposition after the whistle in NHL 12 especially if they've clipped my goalie or laid a huge bump on one of my good guys... It's only a game vs AI but I want my revenge.

I still don't like how quickly things cut away after the whistle, I love being able to bump/fight the opposition after the whistle in NHL 12 especially if they've clipped my goalie or laid a huge bump on one of my good guys... It's only a game vs AI but I want my revenge.

This is the main problem I've found with NHL 13.

Also, it may just be the demo (or just me), but it feels the graphics have taken a step down from 12? Looks a bit fuzzier to me than NHL 12 did.

Usually the graphics in demo's aren't as good as the main game. But yeah I noticed that as well, I felt the lighting of the arena's wasn't so great.. But it's been awhile since I've played the demo again so I'm not %100 sure.

Haha, that would make sense, I've never actually downloaded demos before - I've played the ones provided by the xBox Australia magazine (FIFA 10/11 and Madden 11) but the graphics seemed fine on them. I suppose they reduce graphic quality to reduce the size. I'll probably wait out a week or so just to see whether the graphics are that bad on the disc.

Agreed on the lighting by the way, now that I think about it, that's also a bit of a peeve I had

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody had a crack at GM Mode? Anything special?

Im playing it, dunno if its special or not I dont really follow the sport that much just like playing the game, will try to answer any specific questions you may have though.

When you trade with other teams, is there an option to select a player from their team and ask them what you would have to give up to get that player?

There is a menu you can go to to see what players/draft picks meet the other teams wants. If your trades not satisfactory, they will tell you why. Such as offering 2 of the same type of player.
Ea have focused more on the Connected GM mode than the be a GM mode this year.

Cheers, that sounds nice.

I wish they had've worked on GM Mode more before they did the GM Connected but I guess they had use that as a big selling point. I could not imagine being involved in a GM Connected league, sounds like a lot of work with a lot of people, but maybe I just don't understand it so well.

Graphics seem fine on the full game

Scored this little stunner last night

Wow, even as a Leafs fan I think it's fitting to say... Toskala v Islanders much?

haha :D

Graphics look beaut. Will probably pick it up after all, especially if there's no new CBA on Sunday.

Cheers, that sounds nice.

I wish they had've worked on GM Mode more before they did the GM Connected but I guess they had use that as a big selling point. I could not imagine being involved in a GM Connected league, sounds like a lot of work with a lot of people, but maybe I just don't understand it so well.

Yeah, I agree. It would be too difficult to work around the different timezones, and you're likely to find yourself in a league where the other GMs are:

(a) Too conservative and unwilling to give up any of their players (because they're the Penguins/Rangers/Kings)

(b) Too young / un-educated and willing to give away all their good players, effectively tanking and making the lucky teams that were first to pick out such GMs absolute powerhouses.

I reckon it'd be good if I had 8-12 friends that were massive NHL fans and had the game, but seeing as I'm the only person I know who actually follows hockey and has an xBox.... seems unlikely I'll get into it.

Good to see the gm trades are still ultra realistic. Got iginla for a second rounder and a no name ahl player. They proposed it lol. Habe been offered Shane down twice for my first rounder but don't want him lol

Calgary were probably looking for a youth rebuild? Did you check the potential level on the guy you gave away?

Although I agree, the trading can be a bit dodgy. In my Be a GM as Carolina, I gave away a 3rd round pick + Cam Ward for Schneider, then checked FA and found Jhonas Enroth, so I suddenly had two low-mid 80s GKs with B potentials

Calgary were probably looking for a youth rebuild? Did you check the potential level on the guy you gave away?

Although I agree, the trading can be a bit dodgy. In my Be a GM as Carolina, I gave away a 3rd round pick + Cam Ward for Schneider, then checked FA and found Jhonas Enroth, so I suddenly had two low-mid 80s GKs with B potentials

Potential was quite low that's why I jumped on the trade lol still funny to think if only that would get him in real life

What are the ratings on those two guys? As it stands, I'd take Ward over Schneider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back