Delisted Daniel Markworth

Remove this Banner Ad

Off topic slightly
But How old is Markworth?
Is there a high chance of him signing another contract next year to take him to 2017/2018?

he was out of contract at the end of this year, and early this year the saints gave him a 1 year extension

I said after news came through that he had torn his ACL that it may be a blessing in disguise. He was extremely light and from looks of the video has put on some bulk already. By start of next season you would imagine that he has got his body strong enough to enable him to push for senior selection. Has some serious talent.

I said after news came through that he had torn his ACL that it may be a blessing in disguise. He was extremely light and from looks of the video has put on some bulk already. By start of next season you would imagine that he has got his body strong enough to enable him to push for senior selection. Has some serious talent.

ACL in a medium agile tall is never good

lets hope he doesnt lose that agility

That's terrific stuff. While training with Trev may not achieve a lot more physically than it would at the club, its bound to help his frame of mind enormously. For a young guy yet to play a game It stops him from being just that guy doing laps when everyone else is worried about either getting a game or winning a game. It makes him feel like the club wants him to get better. I don't recall any of that sort of stuff going on when Attard or Miles had long term injuries.

He's not the first Saints player to spend time with Hendy. It's ringing a bell there somewhere. Did the Saints do a camp with him? Maybe Hendy went o/s with them. Anyone remember?

He's not the first Saints player to spend time with Hendy. It's ringing a bell there somewhere. Did the Saints do a camp with him? Maybe Hendy went o/s with them. Anyone remember?

the saints did a camp with him in colarado,

ACL in a medium agile tall is never good

lets hope he doesnt lose that agility

I'm obviously not saying an ACL is a good thing for him, just that being in full time rehab will allow him to add some much needed bulk to his very light frame. Here's hoping he comes back bigger and better next season.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-07-11/markworths-ironman-getaway

A two-week Gold Coast training burst with former ironman champion Trevor Hendy will signal a turning point.

When he returns, he'll join in non-contact training with his teammates.

"Even this week, I was doing some full ground drills, kicking and stuff, so I might be working just as hard but it beats running laps,"

"I woke up today pretty excited to train, which hasn't been the case too often."

An innocuous training incident days before the trip's end caused the injury. Markworth had been running at full pace, went to put pressure on a teammate and hesitated for a split second about whether to lay a tackle.

The indecision saw his leg collapse and omit a crack that instantly made Markworth believe he had broken a bone.

"I don't remember too much pain, it was more the shock of, 'Oh crap, I'm not going to be able to get up',"

"The pain went away pretty quick and they said ACL."

"I said, 'Yeah, so how many weeks?' They were like, 'More like months, Dan'."

Hendy has told him to bring his bike.

Markworth was close to playing seniors in his debut season. He was named emergency on three occasions.

"Once the knee happened, [the contract] was put forward to me pretty quickly - they wanted to get rid of any doubts," :thumbsu: saints)

Good to see Markworth getting better.

Where will he play next year assuming recovery goes to plan.

In the year he was drafted this was Knightmare's blurb.
I'd expect him to create some nice competition with Sippo.
Style:
Player comparison: Nat Fyfe
Range: 10-30
Profile: Overager with nice positional flexibility. High character. Very intelligent kid. Comes from a tennis and basketball background. Has played as leadup forward as well as a midfielder and brings really nice versatility. Very high level athlete with an elite burst of speed and a nice leap on him. Not bad by foot and has a good 55m kick on him. Good ball user by both hand and foot. Very draftable. Late bloomer still to a degree learning the game. Project. But has made big progress in a very short space of time! Just keeps getting better with every game he plays and there seems to be allot of upside! Still allot of work to come. Marking could be allot better for a player of his type with the leap he has.

All I could think of in the last 2 sentences of that description:

ALLOT.png

But otherwise, love reading that. Hope he hasn't lost too much pace after the knee reco and looking forward to him pulling on the #10 next year!

(has video) http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-01/taking-the-coastal-road-to-recovery

Markworth has been as diligent as they come in his rehabilitation.

“It is about doing something different and changing it up. ACL rehab is a long process so to go 15 months without playing you need to keep your mind fresh. I’ll look back at this and be thankful for the opportunity to come up here and train. To do something different is always a bit of fun as well.”

Trevor Hendy “Obviously it was a terrible thing to happen so when Scotty asked if Dan could come up I was really excited about it because I was able to help him leave that experience behind. I keep saying it is a bit of a reboot why you’re here, you can reset yourself, you are halfway through the full rehab."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-02/your-clubs-next-big-thing

The Saints would have loved to have had a fit Daniel Markworth available for the 2013 season but a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained in early December on the club's altitude training camp in Colorado ruled him out for the year. He came close to a senior debut in his first season of 2012, being named emergency three times, and it was expected he would play often this year. The mid-sized forward could almost have played VFL towards the end of this season but it was decided they'd save him for next year. He's highly rated and there are many who can't wait to see what he can do on the senior stage.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-11-27/going-full-circle

It was a Monday morning and the St Kilda coaches were pulling apart the previous weekend’s game. The team had lacked run-and-carry, they said, and the players had been tentative. They wanted them to be more daring, to take the game on.

Markworth instinctively pricked up his ears – they were describing him. “If I was fully fit,” he thought, “here’s my chance. I would be the guy they’d be bringing in to help fix this problem.”

His dreams for the season had turned into a nightmare in Boulder, Colorado, last December. In a moment of hesitation as he tried to tackle a teammate, his right leg crumpled.

“I can’t remember the pain as such,” he says, “but I can remember the sound. There was a crack – something quite loud that popped or cracked – and straight away I knew I’m not getting up from this.”

The past year has been long, painful and frustrating. But as it draws to an end, 21-year-old finds himself boarding a flight back to Boulder.

He ended the season feeling ... that if he put on a couple of kilos over the summer, he would almost certainly get his chance in 2013.

"I was probably on a massive high when I did my injury. I was moving quite well, the coaches were giving me positive feedback; an injury was literally the last thing on my mind.”

St Kilda extended his contract by a year so that he could concentrate on getting fit without the worry of what might happen at the end of the season.

“In my first session I did a total of two kilometres – and was ruined by the end of it."

But by the end of the season he was starting to feel physically back to his old self. His kicking still lacked some power, but his pace had been almost fully restored. When he left for a 4½-week holiday in Europe in September, he no longer saw himself as the injured guy.

“I’m in my third year now, I haven’t played yet and a lot of people say I should be playing, so there’s a little bit more pressure. But that’s OK.”

Is Trevor Hendy going back to Calorado again this year to work with the Saints? That seemed a positive last year and followed on with his Gold Coast time with Markworth as part of his rehab.

I got the impression it was Watters who brought Hendy on board. Just based on the way Watters spoke of Hendy in St Kilda press during last year's trip.

Markworth is a walkup start for Rnd 1, for mine.

That is a massive call on a kid who is yet to play a game, is coming back from a knee reco, and will be fighting for a spot with the likes of Milera, Siposs, Newnes, Webster, Billings, Acres, Templeton etc for that last flanker/outside mid spot.

Not saying he can't do it eventually, just don't think he is a walk up start for round 1.

I got the impression it was Watters who brought Hendy on board. Just based on the way Watters spoke of Hendy in St Kilda press during last year's trip.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ning-in-colorado/story-e6frf9jf-1226461147430

It is believed St Kilda's squad is likely to be joined by surf lifesaving legend Trevor Hendy, who could have a role as high performance ambassador.

Hendy is a close friend of Watters and addressed the Saints before their victory against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium in June.

It is understood Hendy is keen to be involved, giving input from outside the usual AFL perspective.

Afl.com.au is reporting another injury with Markworth missing 4weeks in pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back