Footy Classified special 9:30pm EST 27/08 - better Episode in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

And it would have taken a while (maybe months) to realise the true state of play, whereupon they would have been absolutely gobsmacked by how much Essendon didn't know about what was going on inside their own four walls. Even leaving aside the club's poor PR performances with the "known unknowns" (like the identities of injected substances), the strong impression from Thompson's interview is that Essendon *still* don't know what they don't know! To listen to him talk about Essendon getting so many *surprises* from the ASADA interim report is to realise what an absolutely disgraceful shambles that supplement program was.

That's what the Bombers faithful whole argument is - if Essendon don't know what happened how can the AFL put charges and the "disrepute" charge forward.

But most, even neutrals, seem to think "Poor Essendon staff, Dank screwed them over". There has been more of a focus on Hird since texts/emails came out but I still get the impression that blame is deflected because "nobody" knew. They knew they didn't want to know. Plausible deniability. They knew what was going on but wanted to separate themselves from it. Only smart guy was Reid, who in his letter alluded to how "things would look" when discovered.

The others just seem to be saying "who, me?" and "well I didn't have anything to do with anything, you've got the wrong guy" - and who is the right guy? The guys they pushed out of the club. Oh, they knew alright. They had the fall guys from go.

The fundamental issue in this case from day one was the player's health and that came out today.

The thing that got me is the point he made where he said, why didn't the AFL walk into Essendon till it was all too late.

In my past life, If I warned someone not to do something as it breached a policy and procedure, I would at least check up to see what they are doing later on (to see whether they have complied).

The other thing that got me was why didn't he follow up and ensure that the program had stopped after he had wanted it stopped.

Im pretty sure he would have had the clout to stop the program.

Bomber on Footy Classified was interesting. Firstly he wasn't with his mates like on 360 so they actually asked him some hard questions. I thought he was a bit all over the place and clearly wasn't enjoying the rather pertinent questions being asked by Caro. Say what you want about Caro she has been spot on about what has been going on at Essendon during this scandal.

I thought Bomber still tried to argue that nothing untoward happened at times even though several facts are well known that show dodgy practices were present. Next his wish that the AFL came in earlier and helped them rather than what has transpired was shot down when it was pointed out that they were warned not to use peptides by the AFL in 2012. Then they still did it.

We have Robinson's interview that Hird sanctioned Dank to perform "Black Ops" in relation to their supplements program. We've seen that sms where he shows annoyance at the dieticians email that one of the supplements had a bad wrap in published research. Hird's response to Dank, "This is what we're up against!" Then there was the letter from Dr Reid.

The other thing is if he really thought Robinson shouldn't have left Geelong because Essendon didn't have the right working environment for him, why did he push Robinson to join him at Essendon? That really doesn't make sense to me. That was a lie. Bomber has been known to lie bold faced. Geelong have direct experience of that.

I think there is a lot of denial from within the club about what took place. Bomber says on one hand that he knows they did wrong, then says in the next breath nothing untoward happened. Make your mind up, Bomber. So how can we expect the Essendon fans to be any different.

Hope we can all get past it and move on now. Although I'm sure the trolls here will continue to use it for years to come. Such is BF.

Massive respect for Thompson after that

To front up to be interviewed after what would have been a grueling couple of days deserves respect. He was obviously still angry at his penalty but didn't say it was undeserved and was honest, brutally so at times,

More needs to be made of his comments that everyone needs to learn from how this whole thing was handled especially the AFL who have made a real mess of it

Felt for Bomber Thompson, you can tell he's hurting, and the fact that he was willing to front up and talk in that state = respect in my book, all the more so because it appears he at least tried to stand up to the dirtbag senior coach who instigated the supplements program.

He clearly doesn't know, what are you exactly having a go at him for? He said he had no idea if ASADA will still find their players guilty, cos he has no idea what they took. Pathetic post.
if he doesnt know what they took then he cant legitimately claim that they arent drug cheats. just as he doesnt know if they did take banned substances, he also doesnt know they didnt.

To front up to be interviewed after what would have been a grueling couple of days deserves respect. He was obviously still angry at his penalty but didn't say it was undeserved and was honest, brutally so at times,

More needs to be made of his comments that everyone needs to learn from how this whole thing was handled especially the AFL who have made a real mess of it
Strongly disagree, those comments hold as much weight as his laughable wriggling on the topic of taking the banned substances.

His main gripe with the AFL seemed to be they didn't do enough to stop Hird from going ahead with the peptides program. But it's laughable, the AFL can only do so much and are well within their rights to expect people in charge of the club to either heed the warning or not to sail too close to the edge.

Essendon have made an art of passing the buck during this saga and this is just another example of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly disagree, those comments hold as much weight as his laughable wriggling on the topic of taking the banned substances.

His main gripe with the AFL seemed to be they didn't do enough to stop Hird from going ahead with the peptides program. But it's laughable, the AFL can only do so much and are well within their rights to expect people in charge of the club to either heed the warning or not to sail too close to the edge.

Essendon have made an art of passing the buck during this saga and this is just another example of that.

I was more referring to the way the investigation was handled including strategic leaks to the media throughout the process - something that essendon and more particularly hird are also partly to blame for

The AFL cant be blamed for not checking back with essendon to make sure they don't go down the peptide path like they did I agree, but I like his idea that the AFL should be looking at clubs more regularly

I was more referring to the way the investigation was handled including strategic leaks to the media throughout the process - something that essendon and more particularly hird are also partly to blame for

The AFL cant be blamed for not checking back with essendon to make sure they don't go down the peptide path like they did I agree, but I like his idea that the AFL should be looking at clubs more regularly
Yeah not sure how those supposed leaks affected the investigation, if anything it gave Essendon some deflection material from the real issues at hand and conditioned the supporter base to the inevitable.
I honestly think the AFL has handled this as best as they could under the circumstances.
Negotiated with ASADA, most likely successfully, gave the club the heads up and probably just enough time to cover the tracks, kept the sponsors calm for as long as was possible, made sure the dollars still rolled in until the last week of the season, weren't afraid to call a spade a spade despite the obvious damage they were causing to the brand etc etc

But yes, they'll be keeping tabs on everyone from now on. Unfortunately it will be most likely a waste of time and resources as I strongly doubt any club will be willing to sail close to the edge any time soon ;)

Wonder how much he got paid to do it :rolleyes:

Prob paid for his fine by that appearance... deserves no respect.

Hope we can all get past it and move on now.

Can't really "move on" when ASADA's findings are hanging over their heads. There is more to come. Expecting more juicy Baker and McKenzie articles. Remember, the AFL punished Essendon for "poor governance" that brought the game into disrepute. If their players are found to have taken banned substances, then that opens a whole new can of worms - the AFL can hand out more draft sanctions/fines when it comes out.

I hold a more cynical view. Bomber is a calculating individual and those interviews I have no doubt would've cleared his $30,000 fine. So apart from his 'reputation' taking a hit he's walked away from this unscathed. Well, financially anyway, I think his mental health may now be in question.

Highlights:

Caro: "I think you love Dr Reid as much as you love anyone outside of your family"
Lloyd: "Is that a sarcastic comment"

&

Hutchy: "Caro, the first time Richmond don't finish 9th, 9th would have made it"
Caro: "You're the first person to make that joke today, well done"

:D :thumbsu:

Lloyd was out of depth and like a deer in headlights last night, he had little of substance to contribute. Oh wait, yeah he had a nice hair cut.

And Hutchy couldn't resist revisiting a joke that's already been done and done again. Onya Hutchy. :D :thumbsu:

Strange people on this board
I think bomber has been fantastic
He has just gone thru two harrowing days of heavy negotiations
Had the courage to front the media tonight and last night
Shared his thoughts as honestly as one could have expected

Yeah he looked fairly unsettled but he is never a comfortable media performer

Too many here believe Essendon were running an East German program
Sorry too many want to believe Essendon were running an East German drug program

When as bomber has said, people made mistakes, without intent. And I think it is that he does not believe there was any intent which upsets him

The penalties are light but the people concerned are taking the charges hard.

But some here would only be content public tar and feathering

I think though, they believe a lack of intent to cheat should clear them? They still don't get the gravity of the situation that they put their players in.

Good on Thompson for fronting up and being prepared to answer the questions put to him no holds barred.

That said, the result was pretty hard to watch and even more difficult to understand, there were a number of contradictions and lapses of logic that he was pulled up on (for example that he himself should have followed through more after saying the program should stop - he levelled an attack at the AFL for not following through on their warning to Hird, but he didn't follow through, either, bit of a non sequitur).

Very raw television.

Wow that was pretty raw. Bomber made some interesting statements and it seems that even though he asked for the program to be stopped, it continued and he wasn't told about it. Was this why the injections moved 'off-site'?

He must be really dirty at Hird, amongst others, and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't there next year. He was brought into the club to organise and make the footy department more professional, and it seems he was white-anted.

Thanks to the wookie for putting this up, I'm OS, so no chance to see this on TV. There is also the whole interview with Bomber on Youtube (posted above at post 322), as the wookie's videos seem to miss a bit of it, or I couldn't find it.

I thought Bomber spoke really well in the circumstances. He is one classy individual I thought. That's been the big difference between him and Hird.

Why do I believe most things Bomber had to say compared to Hird? Maybe its because Hird showed little carefactor in the health and well being of players and seemed to have this obsession with his brand and reputation. I think that made it a lot worse. Going by bombers tone in the interview, I don't think he is happy with Hird at all. Even admitted Hird was told that it would be best to stand down by his solicitor. I agree with that statement. The only thing I don't understand though with Bomber was why he believes it wasn't Essendon and Hird that leaked. Hird was doing an interview every second day, a Doctor was wheeled out from Essendon bagging ASADA and reporting false information.

Bomber on Footy Classified was interesting. Firstly he wasn't with his mates like on 360 so they actually asked him some hard questions. I thought he was a bit all over the place and clearly wasn't enjoying the rather pertinent questions being asked by Caro. Say what you want about Caro she has been spot on about what has been going on at Essendon during this scandal.

I thought Bomber still tried to argue that nothing untoward happened at times even though several facts are well known that show dodgy practices were present. Next his wish that the AFL came in earlier and helped them rather than what has transpired was shot down when it was pointed out that they were warned not to use peptides by the AFL in 2012. Then they still did it.

We have Robinson's interview that Hird sanctioned Dank to perform "Black Ops" in relation to their supplements program. We've seen that sms where he shows annoyance at the dieticians email that one of the supplements had a bad wrap in published research. Hird's response to Dank, "This is what we're up against!" Then there was the letter from Dr Reid.

The other thing is if he really thought Robinson shouldn't have left Geelong because Essendon didn't have the right working environment for him, why did he push Robinson to join him at Essendon? That really doesn't make sense to me. That was a lie. Bomber has been known to lie bold faced. Geelong have direct experience of that.

I think there is a lot of denial from within the club about what took place. Bomber says on one hand that he knows they did wrong, then says in the next breath nothing untoward happened. Make your mind up, Bomber. So how can we expect the Essendon fans to be any different.

Hope we can all get past it and move on now. Although I'm sure the trolls here will continue to use it for years to come. Such is BF.
The dean comment was referring to him going to gc
He left whilst bomber was coach at gfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back