Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

Bat for 80 mins tonight score 580+ and let Johnson, Harris and Pattinson give them everything for 30 mins before lunch, rest them for 40 mins and then give them everything again straight after lunch !!

Would be great to have them 4 down at tea.

I'd bat for 30 minutes at the most and throw the bat at everything. If we get to 520 i'd be declaring and get them in whilst there might be a bit of juice in the wicket.

Batting for zero minutes...

Declared on overnight score which is a great aggressive tactic considering the overcast conditions and the fact that some rain would of got onto that pitch when the groundsmen couldn't keep the covers in place.

Good start, Smith fails again...

Filthy we wasted a review though.:(

Shocking review. Clarke needs to really get this part of his game right.
Looked like it was missing live. Harris equally to blame - he must have known that was missing.

Shocking review. Clarke needs to really get this part of his game right.
Looked like it was missing live. Harris equally to blame - he must have known that was missing.
Harris more to blame I reckon, should always halve the bowlers excitement when considering reviews.

Clarke does need to get a system or theory in place for this but at least we are not as bad as the Poms with it.;)

Harris more to blame I reckon, should always halve the bowlers excitement when considering reviews.

Clarke does need to get a system or theory in place for this but at least we are not as bad as the Poms with it.;)

Between Harris, Haddin, Watson and Clarke one of them should have been able to see that was going to miss off stump.

Ball that hit him on the bicep did the damage the over before.
Would be nice to break this partnership before lunch.
Broken...
Amla gone huge wicket, bowled by a beautiful Harris outswinger which went reverse back through the gate a long way, 4 wickets before lunch is a good return despite the run rate.:thumbsu:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broken...
Amla gone huge wicket, bowled by a beautiful Harris outswinger which went reverse back through the gate a long way, 4 wickets before lunch is a good return despite the run rate.:thumbsu:

What a cracking ball from Harris that was.
And now AB gone

5/133 - can we roll them for less than 250?

What a cracking ball from Harris that was.
And now AB gone

5/133 - can we roll them for less than 250?
Reckon the way Harris has the ball talking we can roll them for under 250 and with the way the pitch may play on the last day it is going to be hard for the Saffers to win from here.

Foot on the throat time now boys !!

Well the stage is now set - by a great united Aussie bowling effort with everyone contributing, and sublime batting and captaincy from Pup.
To survive the battering Morkel gave him and go on to compile a "daddy hundred" just when we most needed it - Clarke is worthy of standing alongside the greatest Aussie captains. To announce the declaration 15 min before the start of play with the score not yet in the 500s: bold and inspired and once again caught SA with their pants down. I expected we would bat at least an hour and go the ding, just to push the score well over 500. I think everyone expected that, but no - Pup backed the bowlers to get the job done. And they did.

Warner's contribution mustn't be neglected either. It has been said he's mainly a second innings player. Well, not this time - he really set it up for us. He's well on his way to becoming a legend. Just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and just let his bat do the talking. Take a leaf from his namesake David Boon's book!

My olds have Foxtel and I don't, so I think I'll be paying them a visit this evening. With Warner batting and fast runs needed, it might be well worth a look!
I hope I won't jinx them by watching! :rolleyes: So far I've just been following the series on the radio and through Cricinfo.

On form, the Aussies have got this, but the Saffers are renowned fighters, so an exciting couple of days still to come!

Graeme Smith is pathetic !!:thumbsdown:

Announces his retirement half way through the test after failing again when his team is struggling.

In my opinion he should be concentrating on how he can get this game turned on its ear and be fighting like all hell to win the test match or at least salvage a draw.

Instead he appears to want the cricketing world to ensure they send him off and watch his last innings tonight which comes across as selfish and putting himself ahead of the teams interests.

What is it with the Aussies this season, they have certainly ended a few careers of late....:thumbsu:

Reckon we'll try to get a lead of 450 as quickly as possible and get them back in.
Both days extended by half an hour, so perhaps a declaration around tea which gives us 4 sessions to get 10 wickets on a wearing pitch.
Roughly 190 overs left in the test without further rain interruptions.

Bat for around 50 to 55 overs of them and score at around 4 runs per over will give us plenty of overs (135/140) and extra options with second new ball and resetting of reviews to get them out on a pitch which will get slower and lower.

That would give us a lead of 430 to 450 but if Warner bats most of these overs we can either establish a higher lead or declare earlier and have more overs at them, needs to be semi one day batting style tonight without being silly about it.

Roughly 190 overs left in the test without further rain interruptions.

Bat for around 50 to 55 overs of them and score at around 4 runs per over will give us plenty of overs (135/140) and extra options with second new ball and resetting of reviews to get them out on a pitch which will get slower and lower.

That would give us a lead of 430 to 450 but if Warner bats most of these overs we can either establish a higher lead or declare earlier and have more overs at them, needs to be semi one day batting style tonight without being silly about it.

A couple of things are working in our favour as we speak.

1. No Dale Steyn
2. We have guys like Warner, Watson, Smith & Haddin that can really tick the scoreboard over at a reasonable click.

If we go quickly enough (and not lose too many wickets) there is no reason why we couldn't be say 420 ahead just before tea. Can't see them getting those runs and that will give us 4 sessions to get the 10 wickets needed.

I've gotta go out tonight, so i'm going to miss most of the first session. :(

A couple of things are working in our favour as we speak.

1. No Dale Steyn
2. We have guys like Warner, Watson, Smith & Haddin that can really tick the scoreboard over at a reasonable click.

If we go quickly enough (and not lose too many wickets) there is no reason why we couldn't be say 420 ahead just before tea. Can't see them getting those runs and that will give us 4 sessions to get the 10 wickets needed.

I've gotta go out tonight, so i'm going to miss most of the first session. :(
No Steyn is a big factor and will be interesting to see what field placing Smith sets, if he is defensive minded and sets a few back we wont need to take as many risks as singles will be there whenever we like and if he stays aggressive with field placing whilst being a bowler down it could get out of hand quickly once they tire.

I am also going to miss the first hours play, just hope Warner is still there and flying when I get home.

Declaration just before tea would be ideal as Smith will be "shitting bricks" if he has to survive 4 or 5 overs before tea in his current form and after his announcement.

Graeme Smith is pathetic !!:thumbsdown:

Announces his retirement half way through the test after failing again when his team is struggling.

In my opinion he should be concentrating on how he can get this game turned on its ear and be fighting like all hell to win the test match or at least salvage a draw.

Instead he appears to want the cricketing world to ensure they send him off and watch his last innings tonight which comes across as selfish and putting himself ahead of the teams interests.

What is it with the Aussies this season, they have certainly ended a few careers of late....:thumbsu:

Holy sh!t, so he has!

Only 33, why not take the Ponting route, step down as skipper and aim to recover his form with the bat which is formidable when he's on song. He should have two or three more prime years in him as a batsman.
I guess when you consider Smith was made captain at 22 - just beginning his career - you can understand that it would be hard for him to contemplate playing on and not being captain. Also easy to see that he might just be burnt out.

All the same, a pity he didn't wait until the dust had settled on this series - seems like a knee-jerk decision otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back