Toast David Myers, building...

Remove this Banner Ad

No it wouldn't. He was crap and still is.

Ffs, my statement was never about how good someone could be. It was in reply to HFF who said he doubts he could become a full-time mid at this age. I replied that Ablett achieved it at age 23 after one great pre-season.

Changing the goalposts.

Comparing like to like

4 years = 4 years

Myers has probably shown a bit more that Russell at the same stage of his career.

No point looking at stats - We can throw Rioli in to the mix - He averages about 15 possessions through his first four years - Except Rioli has already shown he is close to being a gun.

And don't forget that Jordan Russell finished 2nd in Carlton's 2010 B and F.

Yaco, it's pretty clear you've misunderstood RIG's post. We all do it, just let it go.Where would you play him?

Have said all year that is best suited to a third or 4th tall defender.

Think we agree !

One proviso; Would like to see him have a big pre-season and play trial games as an inside midfielder.

what's so clear about it?

Make the case for him to go forward.

Hurley, Crameri, Ryder, Hille are our main tall forwards atm. All four players can take a big grab, show lots of hussle and can outmuscle opponents etc.

I see none of that in Myers. But that is not a bad thing. Pears doesn't have those characteristics and he is the most exciting prospect we have down back, when Hurls is forward that is.

The way Hooker and Carlisle tend to clunk em instead of spoil have them ahead of Myers as forward prospects.

But most of all it is the vibe. He just doesn't feel like a natural forward.

FWIW Myers is one of my favourite Essendon players. I don't know why, but I tend to feel better about our prospects when his is in the side. Again it is just a vibe, but I think we have a 200+ game player on our hands and a potential future captain of what is the greatest sporting institution on planet Earth.

bit harsh, I didn't think RIG is usually that unintelligible ;)
Haha. :eek:
Have said all year that is best suited to a third or 4th tall defender.

Think we agree !

One proviso; Would like to see him have a big pre-season and play trial games as an inside midfielder.
Yeah completely agree.

Make the case for him to go forward.

Hurley, Crameri, Ryder, Hill are our main tall forwards atm. All four players can take a big grab, show lots of hussle and can outmuscle opponents etc.

I see none of that in Myers. But that is not a bad thing. Pears doesn't have those characteristics and he is the most exciting prospect we have down back, when Hurls is forward that is.

The way Hooker and Carlisle tend to clunk em instead of spoil have them ahead of Myers as forward prospects.

But most of all it is the vibe. He just doesn't feel like a natural forward.

FWIW Myers is one of my favourite Essendon players. I don't know why, but I tend to feel better about our prospects when his is in the side. Again it is just a vibe, but I think we have a 200+ game player on our hands and a potential future captain of what is the greatest sporting institution on planet Earth.

yeah no problems, but given he hasn't played up forward IIRC except for a half last week, I have no idea how you can say he clearly isn't a forward.

He's big, he's strong, he's a long reasonably accurate kick, he's pretty mobile. I don't see anything about him that says he definitely isn't a forward, and I'm looking forward to see if he can make a fist of it.

If he lines up there that is.

I think that Myers isn't really a player you can compare with anyone. What seems clear in the last month is that he is quicker then he's every been, well at least since his u18 videos. This says to me that he's been carrying either a groin issue or has taken a little while to get used to carrying the muscle he's had to put on since being drafted. It is also noticeable with Hooker, earlier this year that he is stiff through the groin/core and will take a while to get back to his pace.

The thing about Myers is he has a great attitude and is a fantastic person. That is very important. Clearly he has talent otherwise he wouldn't have been drafted at all, let alone top 10. I'm pretty sure he had some injury issues, as already stated, and he has taken a little while to get used to the pace.

It was great to watch him in the first half against West Coast. He was moving out of traffic with poise and choosing good options by either foot or hand. He stood up with Lynch in body on body contests, until he got tired in the last quarter.

I can't wait till he does a full preseason and has the tank to run through the midfield. He will combine very well with Heppell, Melksham and Zaka.

FWIW

Ablett was already in the Geelong team, albeit as a small forward.

Myers is still trying to establish himself in the (sorry S20) 'best 22'.

I think the Russell comparison is an apt one, what about Mundy comparison?

He has been in the team when fit this year. He is clearly seen as a best 22 player at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My questions were always about his pace and decision making. Still not sure about the latter.

I think he has trimmed down a bit this year and being injury free, has gained a yard or two.. so not being burnt as badly on the outside.

Isn't it funny how you keep building upon solid foundations and you get something great, even if it takes a bit of time?
Strong bump!

Also amazing how when you finally get over debilitating injuries and get a fair dinkum crack at it healthily what you can achieve

No doubt Myers is an inside mid.. the key will be how we can give him enough minutes in there with Watson and Hocking

No doubt Myers is an inside mid.. the key will be how we can give him enough minutes in there with Watson and Hocking
Easily. Just look at Sunday night. There's no issues fitting him in. He and Watson, surrounded by more outside players, with Heater tagging out the oppositions best (and hurting them offensively), there's no balance issues there

Did anyone else wtf at Commetti on the replay saying we recruited myers as a CHB?!

Ha yeah I noticed that comment too. Or was it Myers was playing CHB before he was recruited?

Commetti I think has kept an eye on Myers over the years with the WA connection. He is a knowledgeable commentator we all know but always has some nice things to say about him. I'm pretty sure he is rapt like the rest of us here, that Myers is getting a prolonged run at it.
Be great to see him hit the scoreboard a bit more but :D

Easily. Just look at Sunday night. There's no issues fitting him in. He and Watson, surrounded by more outside players, with Heater tagging out the oppositions best (and hurting them offensively), there's no balance issues there

I just worry about becoming too 'one paced'.. obviously Myers is playing too well for it to be a factor atm.. but it is my only remaining slight tiny minuscule worry moving forward with Myers.. That we could be opened up against a quick outfit..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back