2k15 season and the clean out...

Remove this Banner Ad

Mckaye17

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need a huge clean out throughout the off season period and starting with the 10+ players on the list that should only be SANFL, VFL, WAFL or NEAFL players at best.

Start with the retirements obviously and thank you Ben Rutten, Jason Porplyzia and Brent Reilly for your service but your careers are all over unfortunately but we've got no use in keeping them say advise the other two follow trucks footsteps.

Then delist the whole heap of spuds on our list starting with L.Thompson, Osborn, Graham, Shaw and Ellis-Yolmen. Once that's finalised try at convince teams that McKernan and Petrenko have worth at their club but we just couldn't find a spot for them in our 22 unfortunately. If that fails then delist them too. Give Lewie Johnston one final crack.

Now it's time to trade and without a doubt if we're going to move forward tell Wright and Douglas that they'll be put on the trade table. Preferably for either a draft pick each or a late first rounder for them both would be quite suffice. But also be out looking to try poach a youngster with height and a decent build about him as either a defender or to back up sauce. This part I'll probably get my head bitten off for but Sam Kerridge (picked at 29), Jarryd Lyons (picked at 61) or Mitch Grigg (picked at 41) are all talented kids on their way up in the game so I suggest trade one of them for the highest pick possible or attempt to get either Wright or Douglas in a trade with them interstate. Now which one? Grigg I rather keep simply cos of his classy ball skills and the fact he's a lefty, so then between the two Victorian lads and both have their pros and cons. Both can definitely hurt going forward and in the guts but I'd probably rather blondey if I'd have to choose but I can only separate them 51-49. Some guys from SA I'm unsure about their contracts currently playing somewhere else that we should lack at are Jack Redden and Justin Clarke (Bris) Rhys Stanley (STK) Jonathan Giles (GWS) Cameron Giles (CARL) Jack Hannath (FRE) or the two Gold Coast lads in Gorringe and Day we need to have a huge play at one. Also take money aside get bloody Frawley to the club, he can play as the second tall behind Talia.

At the draft I've said numerous times we should take Durdin with our top pick simply because he's a great size and an SA boy. But I seen him first hand yesterday for the first time (played on each other a bit in the under 18s elimination final West vs Sturt) and he's a level above juniors but to me he doesn't seem top 10 worthy, I'd gamble our second pick on him but not the first. Another thing we need 3 top 30 picks at the bare minimum so we can up for the Tippett incident. I like the thought of going for Pickett with pick 9 if he's still there but preferably Darcy Moore, then maybe someone like a Hugh Goddard would be good to slot into the backline as a third depending on our first pick and the trade period. Other names I'd like to mention are Gore (Sturt) Bampton (Norwood) Stretch (Glenelg) as all midfield options.

As far as coaching goes I can't see the club keeping Rutten with Milburn as the current defensive coach. But plenty of people on here have mentioned on here getting Bomber Thompson but another few to look at would be Brett Ratten or Dean Laidley, dunno their contract situations again but just a mention wouldn't go astray I thought.

Last thing, keep Sanderson as the coach for feck sake. Yes he's failed to make the 8 two years running but if we don't improve next season then look to give him the axe, he hasn't been given nearly enough of a crack yet to show the brilliance from 2012.

Ha
We need a huge clean out throughout the off season period and starting with the 10+ players on the list that should only be SANFL, VFL, WAFL or NEAFL players at best.

Start with the retirements obviously and thank you Ben Rutten, Jason Porplyzia and Brent Reilly for your service but your careers are all over unfortunately but we've got no use in keeping them say advise the other two follow trucks footsteps.

Then delist the whole heap of spuds on our list starting with L.Thompson, Osborn, Graham, Shaw and Ellis-Yolmen. Once that's finalised try at convince teams that McKernan and Petrenko have worth at their club but we just couldn't find a spot for them in our 22 unfortunately. If that fails then delist them too. Give Lewie Johnston one final crack.

Now it's time to trade and without a doubt if we're going to move forward tell Wright and Douglas that they'll be put on the trade table. Preferably for either a draft pick each or a late first rounder for them both would be quite suffice. But also be out looking to try poach a youngster with height and a decent build about him as either a defender or to back up sauce. This part I'll probably get my head bitten off for but Sam Kerridge (picked at 29), Jarryd Lyons (picked at 61) or Mitch Grigg (picked at 41) are all talented kids on their way up in the game so I suggest trade one of them for the highest pick possible or attempt to get either Wright or Douglas in a trade with them interstate. Now which one? Grigg I rather keep simply cos of his classy ball skills and the fact he's a lefty, so then between the two Victorian lads and both have their pros and cons. Both can definitely hurt going forward and in the guts but I'd probably rather blondey if I'd have to choose but I can only separate them 51-49. Some guys from SA I'm unsure about their contracts currently playing somewhere else that we should lack at are Jack Redden and Justin Clarke (Bris) Rhys Stanley (STK) Jonathan Giles (GWS) Cameron Giles (CARL) Jack Hannath (FRE) or the two Gold Coast lads in Gorringe and Day we need to have a huge play at one. Also take money aside get bloody Frawley to the club, he can play as the second tall behind Talia.

At the draft I've said numerous times we should take Durdin with our top pick simply because he's a great size and an SA boy. But I seen him first hand yesterday for the first time (played on each other a bit in the under 18s elimination final West vs Sturt) and he's a level above juniors but to me he doesn't seem top 10 worthy, I'd gamble our second pick on him but not the first. Another thing we need 3 top 30 picks at the bare minimum so we can up for the Tippett incident. I like the thought of going for Pickett with pick 9 if he's still there but preferably Darcy Moore, then maybe someone like a Hugh Goddard would be good to slot into the backline as a third depending on our first pick and the trade period. Other names I'd like to mention are Gore (Sturt) Bampton (Norwood) Stretch (Glenelg) as all midfield options.

As far as coaching goes I can't see the club keeping Rutten with Milburn as the current defensive coach. But plenty of people on here have mentioned on here getting Bomber Thompson but another few to look at would be Brett Ratten or Dean Laidley, dunno their contract situations again but just a mention wouldn't go astray I thought.

Last thing, keep Sanderson as the coach for feck sake. Yes he's failed to make the 8 two years running but if we don't improve next season then look to give him the axe, he hasn't been given nearly enough of a crack yet to show the brilliance from 2012.
have you considered Paul ahern he's a quick outside midfielder/forward

Reilly has another year on his contract......

can't see us paying him out -- hopefully is a 'break glass in case of mass injury emergency' but he'll probably end up playing over a dozen games or some s**t...

Would go at Lyons, Wright, Petrenko for trade. Douglas has firmed as trade bait and I am not against it. Can't see him getting any better and had enough of his dumb decision making.
Would be keeping Kerridge and Grigg.

Agree Rutten and Porps will go, Radar should go.
Delist...
Graham..why did we pick him????????
Shaw...crap kick and gets injured from a puff of strong wind.
L. Thompson...North Melbourne game sealed his fate.

Keep for another year...just for backup and SANFL team.
CEY
Smack
LJ

Delist Wright & Petrenko & Smack for that matter. They are all done and mentioning them as trades is exactly why we under perform at trading. No one trades with Clubs who put s**t like that up.

Douglas, Mackay, Lyon and Otten pre knee are the only tradeable commodities we have that I would consider. The rest are retired off, our untouchables or have no value.

I expect Reilly and S.Thompson to play next year with both been contracted but should be depth players playing in the SANFL helping teach and develop the young players while only playing maybe 11-12 games at most.

The players on the chopping block are (out of contract)
Mckernan,Johnston, Graham, Luke Thompson, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Ellis-yolmen, Martin

Trade Bait- Lyons- i would like to keep him but will get more opportunities at a club like Melbourne or St Kilda and get hopefully a early third round pick around 37-41 which is the best result we could achieve in a trade.

I forecast when the squad changes are complete for next year it will look like;
Retire; Rutten
Traded; Lyons
Delisted; Mckernan,Johnston, Graham, Luke Thompson, Porplyzia, Petrenko, Ellis-yolmen, Martin

Martin or Luke Thompson the only 2 maybe getting a 1yr extension. Martin because of his form or Luke Thompson depending on what we can
do about our key defensive stocks during the trade/free agency period)

Ins for next Season
Upgraded rookies; Cameron and possibly Kelly
Free agency; Maybe Goldsack
Trade; got to make a key defender priority and if available a young midfielder
Draft; 3-4 Picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people making the point about trading Douglas need to remember some people on this board probably ones calling to trade Douglas have been saying we have a weakness in our Second tier midfield so your solution is to trade out one of our fist tier midfield makes no sense at all.

before people mention Vince need to remember it was done because of the draft sanctions and he was coming out of contract this year and club were unlikely to offer him a new contract.

No people who want to trade Douglas understand that in order to trade in you need to trade out ..... something with some value. We are not going to trade out Sloane, Danger, either Crouch, Thompson (due to age), VB and we shouldn't trade Kerridge and jury is out on Lyon staying or going.

As a midfielder he is the only real choice, he still has something left and isn't the future. A GWS, GC or lower ranked Club with need for big bodied experienced midfielders may hand over something of value in return.

If we delist 10+ players in one season we'll be replacing them with players drafted with picks in the 80s, even if we do somehow end up with the 3 picks in the top 30 you've stated we need but haven't offered any suggestion for how to get there. Not a lot of point in that.

There are the obvious delistees/retirees, and that's all we really need to get rid of this year. You don't just sack your players for the sake of sacking them unless you have something decent to replace them with.

What we need to do is make smart list decisions, not just cut everyone who "won't be part of our next premiership thrust" in one fell swoop and trade out every player over 24 with value.

Back on topic, Johnston, Graham, McKernan, Porplyzia, LT are gone and can't see them getting new contracts unless we are desperate.
We should try to delist all our dead wood and try to trade someone out like Lyons, Wright to get someone in return who will play a role for us in the future.
Please get Bickley out if the forward coach role and get someone there who actually played as a forward like Pods. Get rid of Chapman.
Get a senior assistant to help Sando like what Bails (RIP) used to do. Maybe Mark Thompson, Ratten, etc etc
Sign up Danger, Sloane and Tex ready for the new year and we will be set for a charge at the finals and eventually in a few years time the top 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back