AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the footy was good I thought and well done to Ainslie and Cootamundra on there respective victories . If Coota can manage to keep that side together they could be looking at success for quite some time. They currently would not look out of place at a higher level. Yass now have back to back GF losses that must have them shattered . As for Ainslie there win came of the back of composure. You hear it all the time the side that settles first usually wins and I thought that that was the case for them. Hard not to feel sorry for Molonglo fantastic year and I hope they all go around again next year too. Speaking of such how many retirees are happening around the place ?

Very proud of my Ainslie lads for the spirit that they showed on the weekend. We had an amazing week on the track, plenty of guys came out and trained even if they weren't in contention to play... the feeling was amazing, and quite frankly our two best sessions of the year. By the time Saturday came around, we all believed we could win this thing.
I am not sure it was the greatest spectacle, but the feeling of holding off a team for so long and winning by 2 points cannot be described, pretty intense! I feel sorry for our team manager who I was literally using as a punching bag for the last five minutes.
Everything that we had talked about during the week, the lads took on board and performed well. The backline was simply incredible!
Molongolo had an outstanding season, and I can't see them not backing that up again next year. Feel for a couple of ex-Ainslie guys Tobi and Trevor Treloar from Molongolo. Trev was my first coach when I came to Canberra and an amazing bloke, and his son Tobi one of the hardest players I have ever seen.

Well the footy was good I thought and well done to Ainslie and Cootamundra on there respective victories . If Coota can manage to keep that side together they could be looking at success for quite some time. They currently would not look out of place at a higher level. Yass now have back to back GF losses that must have them shattered . As for Ainslie there win came of the back of composure. You hear it all the time the side that settles first usually wins and I thought that that was the case for them. Hard not to feel sorry for Molonglo fantastic year and I hope they all go around again next year too. Speaking of such how many retirees are happening around the place ?
HTB were not shattered we have just run into two very good teams. My blokes gave me all they had and you cant ask for more than that. It could be a very different comp next year what with Belco and Qbn withdrawing from Neafl . It might get even harder to win a flag. Yass have some retirees Lees, Brooks and Duncan are hanging up the boots. And as for me it,s been a great ride but im done too .

HTB were not shattered we have just run into two very good teams. My blokes gave me all they had and you cant ask for more than that. It could be a very different comp next year what with Belco and Qbn withdrawing from Neafl . It might get even harder to win a flag. Yass have some retirees Lees, Brooks and Duncan are hanging up the boots. And as for me it,s been a great ride but im done too .

Word is a big shake up is coming through from the League next year due to belco and Qbn dropping out of the neafl. Rumours I have heard are Coota to be pushed up to div 2, Qbn womens to be pushed up to div 1, and Ainsle and/or Gunghalin to be dropped into div 2 in the womens, and possibility of the newly formed Broulee-Moruya Giants entering the comp next year or the year after in div 3. Will be disappointing if they join and AFL Canberra lets them wear a similar strip to Molonglo after rebranding to a strip that didn't clash with anyone but the umpires this year.
If Queanbeyan have all their teams drop down a grade there will be a massive up roar, Surly the div 1 Premiers cannot play div 2 next year. I'm guessing that they get told to form a 2nd div 1 team with either Southcoast or Harman who are their feeta teams seeing that AFL Canberra is big on more Div 1 teams. Interesting to see what happens with belco dropping down though, may be a bit like Tuggeranong I think there, where they will lose their players and struggle in their grades.
Other rumours are that they may split Div 3 up into a Canberra and a Rural league.
Will be very interesting to see what gets proposed in the next couple months, hopefully everyone will know before preseasons kick off.

You will see a very different Goulburn next year, looks like Steve isn't coaching and a lot of the older boys over 30 won't return. Hope to see an influx of new players over the off season because more than half the team have indicated that was their last year.

Word is a big shake up is coming through from the League next year due to belco and Qbn dropping out of the neafl. Rumours I have heard are Coota to be pushed up to div 2, Qbn womens to be pushed up to div 1, and Ainsle and/or Gunghalin to be dropped into div 2 in the womens, and possibility of the newly formed Broulee-Moruya Giants entering the comp next year or the year after in div 3. Will be disappointing if they join and AFL Canberra lets them wear a similar strip to Molonglo after rebranding to a strip that didn't clash with anyone but the umpires this year.
If Queanbeyan have all their teams drop down a grade there will be a massive up roar, Surly the div 1 Premiers cannot play div 2 next year. I'm guessing that they get told to form a 2nd div 1 team with either Southcoast or Harman who are their feeta teams seeing that AFL Canberra is big on more Div 1 teams. Interesting to see what happens with belco dropping down though, may be a bit like Tuggeranong I think there, where they will lose their players and struggle in their grades.
Other rumours are that they may split Div 3 up into a Canberra and a Rural league.
Will be very interesting to see what gets proposed in the next couple months, hopefully everyone will know before preseasons kick off.
Well done to Coota on the win, while they are very impressive I don't like the idea of forcing them up after one successful year (Even if i do think they would perform well in Div2) If they keep their team and maybe add a couple of numbers they might make that decision.

Well done to Coota on the win, while they are very impressive I don't like the idea of forcing them up after one successful year (Even if i do think they would perform well in Div2) If they keep their team and maybe add a couple of numbers they might make that decision.
If a club can afford to spend upwards of 20 k on a playing coach then I think div 2 is the rite fit for that club. If the rumours are correct and he is not the only one pocketing cash then that is a good argument for there movement also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile in other news, a cyclone swept through Cootamundra on Saturday evening/night.
Cyclone Chant seemed to have eased slighty in the early hours of Sunday morning before returning to terrorise locals throughout the day on Sunday and Monday.

If a club can afford to spend upwards of 20 k on a playing coach then I think div 2 is the rite fit for that club. If the rumours are correct and he is not the only one pocketing cash then that is a good argument for there movement also.

Not sure where Coota would get 20k for a coach. I would think rumours are just that......
Looking back a few years ago, that club was just about gone. I think it was 2007 or 08 (after making the G.F in 06) they pulled out of the comp for the last 4 or 5 games. To their credit they have come a long way to win a premiership. If they were going to use ridiculous amounts of money, I would have thought they would have done it then to pull them out of the $hit. I say congrats to Coota for winning the div 3 comp while making others look and see what hard work and persistance can achieve. I hear no one on hear saying the core group lead by Chant have stuck with each other through the worst and eventually came out on top. Well played Cootamundra.

Well played Cootamundra, they turned up and didn't look back from the moment they ran onto the field - was superb to watch.

McDermott and Webb were brilliant around play, hitting targets up front in Maskell-Knight and Drum who just wouldn't drop a thing. There pressure and run around the field in numbers was great to watch.

As for Yass, they were pretty disappointing in the backs compared to what I have seen this year. Standouts for me would have to be both young players in Toby Serafin and Willcox. Both seemed to really want it on Saturday and made some good tackles and gave a lot of run to the Yass side late in the game (pity they weren't in it).

Hopefully both coaches of Coota and Yass have something to do with their sides next year as they have created something special for both small towns.

Well done to Ainslie in the other game, they have been superb as a club this year and even though they went down in the other two grades it was good to see them collect one.

You will see a very different Goulburn next year, looks like Steve isn't coaching and a lot of the older boys over 30 won't return. Hope to see an influx of new players over the off season because more than half the team have indicated that was their last year.
Hey Nov it's for reasons like this it would be nice to know the makeup of what the comp will be next year.

Well played Cootamundra, they turned up and didn't look back from the moment they ran onto the field - was superb to watch.

McDermott and Webb were brilliant around play, hitting targets up front in Maskell-Knight and Drum who just wouldn't drop a thing. There pressure and run around the field in numbers was great to watch.

As for Yass, they were pretty disappointing in the backs compared to what I have seen this year. Standouts for me would have to be both young players in Toby Serafin and Willcox. Both seemed to really want it on Saturday and made some good tackles and gave a lot of run to the Yass side late in the game (pity they weren't in it).

Hopefully both coaches of Coota and Yass have something to do with their sides next year as they have created something special for both small towns.

Well done to Ainslie in the other game, they have been superb as a club this year and even though they went down in the other two grades it was good to see them collect one.

I have to agree with this, but I will add Phil Bird was second to none in the first half getting the ball out of the centre at will and Joel Pearson in defence was sensational. Pearson killed the ball many times when it mattered, golden fist award for me.
And finally, congratulations to Scott (nugget) Reid in reaching a great milestone of 150 games.

Not sure where Coota would get 20k for a coach. I would think rumours are just that......
Looking back a few years ago, that club was just about gone. I think it was 2007 or 08 (after making the G.F in 06) they pulled out of the comp for the last 4 or 5 games. To their credit they have come a long way to win a premiership. If they were going to use ridiculous amounts of money, I would have thought they would have done it then to pull them out of the $hit. I say congrats to Coota for winning the div 3 comp while making others look and see what hard work and persistance can achieve. I hear no one on hear saying the core group lead by Chant have stuck with each other through the worst and eventually came out on top. Well played Cootamundra.
Hi Corkies I think it's great that Coota have won the comp and all of what you say is agreeable .To set the record straight I have NO drama with the blues spending cash and I doubt that others would also . All I was saying is that it would be reason enough to see them included in a higher division that's all. Are you blokes still on the piss or has the party subsided ?

I have to agree with this, but I will add Phil Bird was second to none in the first half getting the ball out of the centre at will and Joel Pearson in defence was sensational. Pearson killed the ball many times when it mattered, golden fist award for me.
And finally, congratulations to Scott (nugget) Reid in reaching a great milestone of 150 games.
I thought Bird was clearly the best player out there - especially when the game was won in the first 15 minutes

Hi Corkies I think it's great that Coota have won the comp and all of what you say is agreeable .To set the record straight I have NO drama with the blues spending cash and I doubt that others would also . All I was saying is that it would be reason enough to see them included in a higher division that's all. Are you blokes still on the piss or has the party subsided ?

hadtobe, I can see what your saying however it is possible Coota's team could be totally different next year (just like Yass, Goulburn, Cooma, any team for that matter) and that is why I disagree with any side being pushed after 1 good year. If a club thinks they are good enough, let them make that decision. I am in no position to say if it will or won't as I am now just a supporter and will not know what will happen in the off season.
I am long retired (from footy) living in Canberra but from all reports, they have subsided for now, as tomorrow they go to Melb for footy trip. A big few weekends for the lads, on Grand Final day they hold their 100 club aswell!

Hopefully they make some decent decisions for a change.
Its tough for the league, but I think the best thing for the whole competition is to push teams up to the top division. I understand that the top couple of teams are a lot stronger than the rest at the moment, but its a joke that the top division in Canberra has so little amount of teams in it. Push the teams up like South Coast, Molonglo, Gungahlin and make it a 10 team comp. At least in this scenario the teams that aren't quite up to the standard at the moment will at least compete against each other and won't have to play the top team 4 times in a season and get flogged by them every time.
Then match them up with their respective reserve teams in division 2 and they play on the same day at the same venue against the same team each and every week. Less volunteers required, resources aren't stretched as much, more people at the ground, greater atmosphere, greater canteen takings and therefore players are going to want to be involved in footy a whole lot more.
In Div 3 you then have Coota, Cooma, Yass, Goulburn, Woden, Harman, Ainslie, Eastlake, Belco and Tuggers who play at 2pm each week and treated as basically a separate comp to div 1 & 2.
With NEAFL now only containing Ainslie & Eastlake surely that will be treated as a completely different comp and played totally separately to the Canberra comp. Therefore Div 1 will always be played at 2pm, Div 2 at 11.30pm, Rising Stars at 9am and Div 3 separate again and played at 2pm.

Surely this setup makes the most sense. In terms of creating the best competition possible this is the only structure that can work. Take out the selfishness of clubs wanting to play in premierships each year and work out whats best for football in this town/area. The current set up is killing football in this town with resources being stretched to an absolute maximum and no atmosphere at any of the games. AFL Canberra, pull your fingers out of your arse and do the right thing by football overall. You're never going to please everyone, so do whats right for the long term.

Anyone disagree with what I've proposed? I'd be interested in what the majority of people around here think.

Hopefully they make some decent decisions for a change.
Its tough for the league, but I think the best thing for the whole competition is to push teams up to the top division. I understand that the top couple of teams are a lot stronger than the rest at the moment, but its a joke that the top division in Canberra has so little amount of teams in it. Push the teams up like South Coast, Molonglo, Gungahlin and make it a 10 team comp. At least in this scenario the teams that aren't quite up to the standard at the moment will at least compete against each other and won't have to play the top team 4 times in a season and get flogged by them every time.
Then match them up with their respective reserve teams in division 2 and they play on the same day at the same venue against the same team each and every week. Less volunteers required, resources aren't stretched as much, more people at the ground, greater atmosphere, greater canteen takings and therefore players are going to want to be involved in footy a whole lot more.
In Div 3 you then have Coota, Cooma, Yass, Goulburn, Woden, Harman, Ainslie, Eastlake, Belco and Tuggers who play at 2pm each week and treated as basically a separate comp to div 1 & 2.
With NEAFL now only containing Ainslie & Eastlake surely that will be treated as a completely different comp and played totally separately to the Canberra comp. Therefore Div 1 will always be played at 2pm, Div 2 at 11.30pm, Rising Stars at 9am and Div 3 separate again and played at 2pm.

Surely this setup makes the most sense. In terms of creating the best competition possible this is the only structure that can work. Take out the selfishness of clubs wanting to play in premierships each year and work out whats best for football in this town/area. The current set up is killing football in this town with resources being stretched to an absolute maximum and no atmosphere at any of the games. AFL Canberra, pull your fingers out of your arse and do the right thing by football overall. You're never going to please everyone, so do whats right for the long term.

Anyone disagree with what I've proposed? I'd be interested in what the majority of people around here think.

Sounds fine outside of the Div 3 teams basically being shafted away from the rest of their clubs.

Probably would prefer if they were to play the early game, and rising stars the late game, as per finals just gone.

Obviously this makes it hard with travel for interstate teams, but maybe it's time some of them were pushed up anyway...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back