Opinion Expectations

Remove this Banner Ad

calaisking

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We can all agree that this year we had high expectations as a club, from supporters and non supporters. Most footy fans had Freo top 2 and to make a GF appearance but as we all know, we fell short. Injuries can be to blame but I feel this year we rarely saw that "pressure" that we where renowned for last season.

The main board has a 2015 top 8 thread and looking at most people's opinions they think that Freo will drop from the top four and be a top 5-8 team. Personally, I think we can still be a top 4 team

My question is, do you all think we can still be a top 4 team next year? or do you think we are going to drop down to a 5-8 team or even miss finals

Yes it's early but what expectations do we have on Freo next season ?

Hawthorn and Sydney are clearly at the top. If Power land Ryder they will be significantly better. So far we have done nothing in trade week to suggest we will improve. Banking on some pretty green KPPs to do that, and perhaps Mora, Sylvia etc.

Top 4 definitely. We are better than Geelong and North, Port I feel have just about overtaken us although I still think we should beat them at Subi but we will likely lose at Adelaide Oval while Hawks and Sydney are still the top 2. Injuries next season will probably determine who finishes where but anything other than top 4 will be a major disappointment.

I will be most disappointed if we can't finish ahead of North and Geelong. Also can't see anyone in the group below charging up the ladder. So top 4 should be the minimum aim.

I don't think it should be doom and gloom. At least for 2015 (I think after that we will be in some strife). We actually timed our run well in 2014 ... the Gee/Haw/Bris/Port games had us playing impressive footy, then it all fell apart when Barlow, Balla, Johnson, Silvagni, Ibbo etc. were injured.

I don't think we need to change the list that much to hold our ground for one more year. We just need to get our best team on the park at the right time.

All of Port, Sydney and Hawks had basically their best 22 all available at the end. Rioli I guess was underdone, but he still played a role. Take Trengove/Carlile/Hombsch/Wingard away from Port, make Boak play with a busted foot/thumb ... and let's see how they would have done in the finals.

Well, as a long-term Freo supporter, I've more hopes than expectations.. kidding!

Freo were playing with a different game plan this year, and it can take time for those to bed in. I'm hoping things will run a little more smoothly next season, in which case I can see Freo challenging Hawthorn, who, regardless of grand final result, seemed to be showing some signs of weakness in the second half of last year (preliminary final, several losses).

However, Sydney would be a scary side if they can click (struggled to incorporate all their big forwards at times last season, IMO) and Port Adelaide are looking seriously ominous. Geelong look ready to drop off, and North may struggle to take that extra step. Freo to make top 4, but not high in top 4, is my prediction.

This, of course, is on the proviso that Freo starts to take accuracy in front of goal seriously! Ho hum.

All I expect is great effort.

If we get a good run all season with injuries which we haven't had in years & a friendly draw then we should win enough to be close to top 4.

I've posted this in another thread but he keys for us (assuming we don't pluck a KPF this trade period) are talented guys like Mora & Simpson, if they force their way in it gives us some serious dynamite. Taberner & Zac Clarke are probably the other keys, given our defense, midfield & main 4 forwards (pav, sonny, ballaz, mayne) are all fairly settled.

Hawthorn showed some signs this year they're fading before their monstrous GF performance & now signing Frawley. I don't see a clear cut favourite for the flag, Port will be flavour of the month I suspect in the summer, North are capable - they'd be top 4 easily had they not dropped sloppy games.

Sydney might take a hit with the trade embargo, not sure the depth is there, key backs aging and the Ruck is very vulnerable.

Geelong are done as a contender.

Richmond would think they're on the improve but maybe not enough to be a contender.

Adelaide, WCE, Coll, Carl, GCS & Brisbane will all be expecting to push up into the 8. It should be a great season, only Stk, Melb & GWS will be easy beats, but I hope we don't get stk at etihad again haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meh. I don't really get into predictions about the ladder because too many things are outside a team's control. Hawks' midfield will be that bit slower. Port could have injuries in their back half where they're a bit brittle. Norf have just done some odd trades. Swans need to do something about their reliance on Buddy particularly given Tippett's injury history etc.

Personally, I think our chances this year took a big hit in round 3.

If all the things that could go right do go right - Son Son and Ballas play the majority of the season together, Sylvia finds his feet, the babies (Tabs, Croz, Sherro, Neale and Duffy) continue to improve, Mayne (scratches head) re-finds form, Josh contributes and our back 6 is healthier, I like our chances. Not all of these things will happen of course and some crises will come from left field. I am still seeing improvement from this year on balance but I bet one thing we can count on is that the club will have been in the AFL's ear about the back to back 6 day breaks against top sides we were given early on last year. The fixture this year will be crucial for us; I hope it acknowledges that we actually finished 6th.

The fixture this year will be crucial for us; I hope it acknowledges that we actually finished 6th.

I don't think it does. Our fixture will be based on us finishing fourth this season which will see us versing two of the top four teams twice

I'd say Geelong and Sydney

I wouldn't discount Richmond from top 4 material.

I think Geelong will slide.

Hawks and Swans are locks.

We should be stable.

Depends on how much further Port, North and others make.

I don't see massive upswing from us unless our depth players really push. Top 2 will have to be driven by 1 to 3 players from those considered fringe. By driven I mean breakout career defining years.

If we kick straight we beat Hawks in 2013 GF and possibly make the GF in 2014. Although the biggest disappointment for me was the Saints game. It was inexcusable, and must be a priority if we are to push again this year.

Get that sorted and practice goal kicking, and we will be thereabouts

Hawthorn and Sydney are clearly at the top. If Power land Ryder they will be significantly better. So far we have done nothing in trade week to suggest we will improve. Banking on some pretty green KPPs to do that, and perhaps Mora, Sylvia etc.

This is how I see it too. Hawthorn to improve; Sydney still up there. Port to improve with Ryder; North, too, are seriously topping up.

Yet, we're conspicuously absent from almost any trade discussions. Now whether we're treading water, or sitting on our hands, or keeping our cards close to our chest remains to be seen, but they always say you need to improve every year just to stay on par.

Hopefully Taberner continues the trajectory and Apeness arrives, otherwise we could just finish 5-8 and it's bloody hard from there...

Well against all the gloom I think we should do better next year. We had short pre-season last year and all the focus would have been on the Grand Final. I don't buy the whole "North and Port are stocking up" - there is nothing in the mix at the moment that should be really scary that we shouldn't match. Hawthorn will remain the side to beat. On the positive side I reckon there is still something that could still be had from players like Duffy, Sylvia and Simpson (I recognise all three are living on the edge of oblivion but they can all also be players that can add that attacking dimension), and I think if they have a good look at themselves guys like Crozier may get a better run. Apeness looks exciting from what I have seen in the WAFL and I think he can provide something this next year, if merely chop out for other forwards. And if Walters had played the entire season, positioning and the load on other players would be different. And then there is Morabito....there is definitely scope for improvement, even without trades and draftees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back