Player Watch #32 - Corey Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

They did say the same about Conca. I remember pretty clearly many were saying that he was solid in every attribute but had no standouts.
Its become groundhog day every year almost, our pick is seen as a reach for a vanilla player and then they see them play and come around to what the club saw.

Ill admit when we drafted Vlastuin i didnt know much and i wasnt very excited, then he did that blind turn in his first NAB cup match and ruined the pants i was wearing, and ive loved him since.

Just like Reiwoldt, Conca, Vlaustin and B.Ellis eh? Its worked for us so far hasn't it?
Conca the low-light in that list, i would argue that pick has cost the club dearly. The rest of the footy world said Heppel=best available, we complained Conca=vanilla, RFC said Conca =elite psych profile/interview.

The only non-vanilla thing Conca has done since is losing his cool and whacking a bloke from behind as he was leaving the field.

Brandon has developed his own X-factor, Riewoldt always gushed it.

They did say the same about Conca. I remember pretty clearly many were saying that he was solid in every attribute but had no standouts.
Its become groundhog day every year almost, our pick is seen as a reach for a vanilla player and then they see them play and come around to what the club saw.
But surely the vanilla fears re. Conca have been realised. Seriously , the only extraordinary thing I can remember him doing was not a good thing.

Edit: I forgot about his 'koala' tackles, both arms and both legs wrapped around the opponent, I like those!!

Last edited:

2 weeks ago

Patracca at #1 99.9% of people had this
Wright slipping out of top 10
Laverde was a done deal to pies until this week
Nobody had Marchbank to GWS
Weller to Freo never he was always staying in melbourne
Duggan/westcoast just on the last day
Geelong Cocky - Nahh
Ahern was sliding to essendon
Goddard was going top 10
But I said the phantoms, not actually where they went. The fact they were 1 or 2 picks off is close imo. Plus adding in our draft position made it harder. If we had pick 6, then there would have been more speculation on who we pick.

But surely the vanilla fears re. Conca have been realised. Seriously , the only extraordinary thing I can remember him doing was not a good thing.

Edit: I forgot about his 'koala' tackles, both arms and both legs wrapped around the opponent, I like those!!
I still think Conca can become a very good player. Remember a 200 gamer is this definition imo.

But I said the phantoms, not actually where they went. The fact they were 1 or 2 picks off is close imo. Plus adding in our draft position made it harder. If we had pick 6, then there would have been more speculation on who we pick.
Not really !!

If we had pick 6 that would of been easier as far as im concerned as the top players are usually well known

Yes and i wa talking about the phantom drafts 2 weeks ago had the players i mentioned in the places but were very different to the end result apart from Ellis to Richmond

I still think Conca can become a very good player. Remember a 200 gamer is this definition imo.
Fair point, he is a solid contributor, and the day he is pushed out of the best 25 at the club, we will really be going places!

Another thought: I wonder how our 'vanilla' first rounders will react to free agency later on. Do X- factor players have more of a tendency to move ( like our good friend Matty White). Wonder if that is part of the psych profiles these days

Not really !!

If we had pick 6 that would of been easier as far as im concerned as the top players are usually well known

Yes and i wa talking about the phantom drafts 2 weeks ago had the players i mentioned in the places but were very different to the end result apart from Ellis to Richmond
Fair enough. I just think its too simplistic to suggest everyone knows who we get. The ferreting that the journo's do with all people involved in the afl sphere, is pretty good imo, but doesn't reflect we are the leakers internally.

Ill admit when we drafted Vlastuin i didnt know much and i wasnt very excited, then he did that blind turn in his first NAB cup match and ruined the pants i was wearing, and ive loved him since.

Did ya bill him for the pants ? Or ya didn't mind cos he gave you much joy ???

Fair point, he is a solid contributor, and the day he is pushed out of the best 25 at the club, we will really be going places!

Another thought: I wonder how our 'vanilla' first rounders will react to free agency later on. Do X- factor players have more of a tendency to move ( like our good friend Matty White). Wonder if that is part of the psych profiles these days
I don't think we would have that in our testing and probably cant actually devise a test to test for it. I know some poster call them vanilla players but imo a 200 gamer isn't vanilla, and we did go for solid types who we know can build our team around. We also couldn't afford to have a fail by selecting real high risk high reward types, given our situation at the time. Around now is the time for that imo. If vanilla is a euphemism for solid types the I say do it again. Imo Ellis looks like a Tyson/Black type.

Did ya bill him for the pants ? Or ya didn't mind cos he gave you much joy ???

I sent them to him with a note that said "this is what you do to me"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thrashed Out.

Yeh me too. Boy I took myself outside and really gave it to myself....I won't be doing any of that being Logical stuff for a while.....

I sent them to him with a note that said "this is what you do to me"

:D:D:D:p....Initially but trying not to over think it........Must....... Fight.......mental.....image....:eek:

This kid will be a gun and prove to be an absolute steal at 12.
Can't teach players how to win their own ball.

I find your comments reasurring, have you watched him long or know something we don't? Capitano...

I find your comments reasurring, have you watched him long or know something we don't? Capitano...

To be honest, I only watched two Western Jets games this year, I know it's not a lot, but it was enough for me to notice him.
Reminds me of a bigger version of Sam Mitchell.
Knows how to kick a goal too.
I just think he is the perfect midfielder for the modern game.
Very nice kicking action on him and always managed to find a target.

Conca the low-light in that list, i would argue that pick has cost the club dearly. The rest of the footy world said Heppel=best available, we complained Conca=vanilla, RFC said Conca =elite psych profile/interview.

The only non-vanilla thing Conca has done since is losing his cool and whacking a bloke from behind as he was leaving the field.

Brandon has developed his own X-factor, Riewoldt always gushed it.
Why do you keep going on about x factor/vinalla? Pretty sure we are talking bout reaching for players, when apparently there were better available.
We would have picked Reiwoldt at 8 if we had too, would have clearly been a reach according to most. Yet hes been better then all the players after pick 8.
We reached for Conca, but other than Heppel there isn't really anyone that has done a whole lot more. And to say it cost the club dearly is just complete rubbish. It was 1 pick, and Conca is still young.
We reached for Ellis and once again, no one after him has been better.
Ditto for Vlaustin.
Point is, we have had eyes on a certain player who we have regarded higher than the rest of the league, we reached to pick them when others say there have been better available. And its worked out. No reason to think C.Ellis will be any different.

Can people just give the kid a chance before writing him off FFS?

Looked really composed in the highlights. Good luck son and welcome to Tigerland.
But hes so "Vanilla", everyone knows that x-factor is what wins you premierships. Solid contributors are worthless. *Cough* Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Bartell, Kelly, J.Kennedy, K.Jack, Hannebery *Cough*

Why do you keep going on about x factor/vinalla? Pretty sure we are talking bout reaching for players, when apparently there were better available.
We would have picked Reiwoldt at 8 if we had too, would have clearly been a reach according to most. Yet hes been better then all the players after pick 8.
We reached for Conca, but other than Heppel there isn't really anyone that has done a whole lot more. And to say it cost the club dearly is just complete rubbish. It was 1 pick, and Conca is still young.
We reached for Ellis and once again, no one after him has been better.
Ditto for Vlaustin.
Point is, we have had eyes on a certain player who we have regarded higher than the rest of the league, we reached to pick them when others say there have been better available. And its worked out. No reason to think C.Ellis will be any different.
I believe the Conca pick cost us. he damaged the RFC brand last year. Heppell on the other hand is a marketers dream. Hope Conca can go past Hep and be a superstar in his own right, let's see.

Anyway I'll shut my mouth and wish Corey luck again, I just hope we see all these new kids next year, at least in NAB cup!

Ellis is about right at pick 12...but I don't understand how FJ(?) was reported as saying he rated Ellis as a top 3 pick...no need to put that sort of pressure on the kid
He is what he is...pick 12 for the Tigers
He'll take a few years to develop and play regularly and play really well hopefully

Last edited:
At 1 stage you could hear the lions talking thru a pick and I think I heard 'tigers' at 1 stage. Funny enough we picked McKenzie the next pick. Funny if they thought we wouldn't pick him!!
That's conceivable. We are so well placed for KPFs and were well known to be targeting mids, they may have been discussing whether it was worth the risk of not picking him at that point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back