Player Watch #38: Steven Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

The diving at the knees rule was always going to be a worry for him.
Fixing our small forward problem by chucking a small backman in there is pretty bizarre.
Our backline is playing with absolute zero synergy at the moment. At least Jack Dusty and Tich up forward seem to have something going on.
Should have let him be I thought he gave us something back there. But that diving on the ball rule may have taken his number one weapon away.

He just isn't a smart footballer. There was one play on Friday when he was charging at the ball and it was obvious to everyone he wouldn't make it and it just bounced past him straight to his opponent who kicked a goal. The bash and crash style doesn't work anymore, you actually have to have some footy brains to play the game.

He just isn't a smart footballer. There was one play on Friday when he was charging at the ball and it was obvious to everyone he wouldn't make it and it just bounced past him straight to his opponent who kicked a goal. The bash and crash style doesn't work anymore, you actually have to have some footy brains to play the game.

I think he slipped over like a lot of our players.

Nah it was a high ball coming in, his opponent just read the play and was given an easy goal. Just dumb play from Morris. A lot of the time he over commits to the marking contest too and overruns the player taking the mark who is easily allowed to play on
I must have missed that one

We definitely lack a creative small forward. One who is dangerous when ball hits the deck in the forward line but can be a guy who can chase and harrass.

This type of player is frustrating, can go missing, but more often than not, we know they can Bob up at anytime and do something special.

Forget about rotating in the midfield. They can pinch hit but no more than 5 minutes a quarter would suffice.

Pace. Skill. Ability to do the impossible. Keen to chase.

We haven't recruited one since Hardwick was in charge. They usually are Aboriginal players who fit this description as examples made in this thread.

Didn't Hardwick have a problem at Essendon along these lines?

Anyway, been saying it a bit, Chris Yarran would be my choice to get. He fits the description well and would improve our forward line immensely. He would give it a new dimension and add pace, class and skill. A natural forward. Release the shackles For him and allow him to play his natural game (Obviously Hardwick can't be coach for this to occur) but that's the type of recruiting that is not safe, but has great reward.
They should be backing Madonna and Lennon they were seriously talented forwards coming through the system both have been sent to half back flank by numb nuts and now both are struggling

Nah it was a high ball coming in, his opponent just read the play and was given an easy goal. Just dumb play from Morris. A lot of the time he over commits to the marking contest too and overruns the player taking the mark who is easily allowed to play on
yeah that one and not cutting off matty white last year are/were 2 coachkillers

He's so out of form in that position because he's just spent the past 7 months training as a forward. I blame Hardwick. Stevie will find form in a few months/

He was almost finished as a defender. Watch how many oppo sides make him the last man one out. THey clear the forward line so Stevie is one out. I reckon Robbie Gray kicked 4 on him last year, for example. His days are numbered if he's just a lock down defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not whether we made a play for those 2 small forwards but its the fact we don't have one. I agree with tugga's point, we just don't have that nippy creative small forward, you only have to look at the top teams and they all have someone:

Freo - Ballantyne, Walters
Swans - Rohan, Jetta
Hawks - Rioli, Puopolo
Port - Wingard
North - Thomas,
Geelong - Johnson, Motlop
Adelaide - Betts

The list goes on.... all we have is Edwards, we need another.

Hardwick sees a lot of himself in Morris. That skilless one trick pony thug of a defender. It belongs in the Sheedy era.

If Morris was fitter he could play a Duncan Kellaway stopping role but he will never be a Cameron Ling. But then again neither will Dusty

McDonough should be played forward and Lennon back or vice versa. Elton and Ellis should be brought in. Chaplin can be available for depth and Petterd and Morris cut at seasons end. Let's play the future players

They should be backing Madonna and Lennon they were seriously talented forwards coming through the system both have been sent to half back flank by numb nuts and now both are struggling

McDonough isn't the type either. He should be played that high half forward role.

Lennon I don't mind as a defender purely cause he reads the play well, is a very good overhead mark and his kicking skills are elite. The Andrew Mackie type back man.

What I'm talking about is different. The X Factor. We just don't recruit this type anymore.

Would love to see this line up on Saturday.

B.Ellis Rance Elton
Batchelor Astbury Houli
Edwards Cotchin Mcintosh
McDonough Reiwoldt Lennon
Gordon Vickery Martin
Maric Vlastuin Miles
Foley Hunt Grigg C.Ellis(sub)

Looks pretty good on paper even with so many injuries. Get Vlastuin in the middle and Martin up forward. Foley will make us better in the middle too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back