Player Watch #38: Steven Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

Let me preface this by saying I love this bloke and what he has done in his time at the club. he singlehandedly made our defence a dangerous place for opposition players to go.
But Jake King's forced retirement and the failed experiment of Steve Morris playing forward, has made it clear that we can no longer carry someone who is getting the ball four times a game and not doing anything with those four touches.
I hate writing this. I genuinely love the bloke. Steve Morris, you'll always be a champ to me, but sentiment can no longer govern picking anybody on our list.
Also, our lack of a small forward is a blight on the recruiting department. Why didn't we get Jeff Garlett for next to nothing? Why didn't we make some sort of play for Eddie Betts?
Been thinking same tugg re Morris , if we re honest he s really not league standard , tough for dimma coz he loves him. Garlett would have been close to what we need , I reckon his off field wrap sheet scared most clubs off. Higgins is the one I'd like the experts to tell me why we didn't have a real dip, without knowing I suspect , they backed McDonough, Gordon, Lloyd Knights, Lennon to really come on , we re now down to Lennon and counting :drunk:

McDonough isn't the type either. He should be played that high half forward role.

Lennon I don't mind as a defender purely cause he reads the play well, is a very good overhead mark and his kicking skills are elite. The Andrew Mackie type back man.

What I'm talking about is different. The X Factor. We just don't recruit this type anymore.
Troy Taylor would've been our X factor... Recruiting him and Relton Roberts has virtually banned Francis from recruiting X factor forward types.

Oh Dimma can you please explain how he not only gets a game but you add him to the leadership group. You play him as a defensive forward and he lays no tackles. Goes back to half back flank and he has a -6 meters gained stat in the herald sun stats. How does he get a game, one of your favourites Dimma. But he will cost you your job. He is your coach killer and you just don't see it. Come to think of it, so much you don't see.

I find it funny that i'm the guy who really doubted Lloyd pre-season when everyone was talking him up and now I think he has a real future and everyone else wants him gone.

Had a mare on the weekend and his worst game last year was in the wet and he needs to fix that but he is a smart player with very good skills. The biggest problem is similar to a lot of our players i think in that Hardwick is strangling his style of play to play Dimma's way.

I thought that. Do they change boots nowadays when it rains?

I think it was JB in one game i watched (may have been us against Brissy) that players mostly wear the blades these days. The screw-in basically don't exist.

Makes sense to me as i hate screw ins as my feet were extremely sore afterwards and probably leads to stress fractures or the like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it funny that i'm the guy who really doubted Lloyd pre-season when everyone was talking him up and now I think he has a real future and everyone else wants him gone.

Had a mare on the weekend and his worst game last year was in the wet and he needs to fix that but he is a smart player with very good skills. The biggest problem is similar to a lot of our players i think in that Hardwick is strangling his style of play to play Dimma's way.
He s not our biggest problem , was thinking a min ago, Jack kicked 4p v melb and was shocking against foots, there's a theme here

While i think its a joke Morris gets a game this stat is close to the biggest joke in football along with games and age average. It means **** all in a 360 degree for the average punter especially in isolation.

Leave the stat for NFL and NRL.

I agree it is not a stat that is relevant in our game, however it may be one of the accountants KPIs

so after all the experimentation why haven't we tried him as an on-baller? he certainly has the see ball get ball mentality and the defensive traits and I believe he has a decent tank too. let block for cotchin in the middle.

just sit and have a chat with him, control his aggression at the man. he needs to get more ball if he is just to play down back.
Because he cant kick I would imagine.

He was almost finished as a defender. Watch how many oppo sides make him the last man one out. THey clear the forward line so Stevie is one out. I reckon Robbie Gray kicked 4 on him last year, for example. His days are numbered if he's just a lock down defender.
On the good players he struggles but is ok on the average ones.

Would love to see this line up on Saturday.

B.Ellis Rance Elton
Batchelor Astbury Houli
Edwards Cotchin Mcintosh
McDonough Reiwoldt Lennon
Gordon Vickery Martin
Maric Vlastuin Miles
Foley Hunt Grigg C.Ellis(sub)

Looks pretty good on paper even with so many injuries. Get Vlastuin in the middle and Martin up forward. Foley will make us better in the middle too.
Ellis a lockdown defender or kicker? No thanks, not hard enough.

If he's not kicking goals he is unsighted. Needs another trick to his bow. They put him on the wing Friday but he couldn't make an impact. He's pretty soft too

Oh Dimma can you please explain how he not only gets a game but you add him to the leadership group. You play him as a defensive forward and he lays no tackles. Goes back to half back flank and he has a -6 meters gained stat in the herald sun stats. How does he get a game, one of your favourites Dimma. But he will cost you your job. He is your coach killer and you just don't see it. Come to think of it, so much you don't see.

The leadership group is voted on by the players. Damien did not add him at his own volition, which you state.

Haere Ra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back