Do we need a send-off rule in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad rule until you get a umpire who's a bit sensitive and sends a bloke off for swearing or for some push and shove.

Bring in a send off rule and it's only a matter of time before this happens...

View attachment 130936

Hodge to be the first. Bloke is a deadset lunatic.

First point. The player, Eric Cantona, playing for Manchester United, had been dismissed for kicking Crystal Palace's Richard Shaw. Before this incident occurred.

Second point. The person Cantona kicked in the picture, Jim White, was a Crystal Palace supporter who abused Cantona as he walked from the field.

Third point. Eric Cantona was subsequently suspended from football for nine months for kicking White and served a short jail term.

As a result, players were given greater protection from abusive opposition spectators. This reminds me of the Ty Vickery incident in Perth last year after Vickery knocked out Dean Cox. Vickery went to the dug out and had West Coast supporters abusing him from close range.

My point. The AFL MUST PROTECT PLAYERS FROM SUCH AN INCIDENT.

Please. The commentary with the likes of Brian Taylor, Richo and Dwayne Russell is already unbearable. Do people have any idea what it would be like with a sin bin? From a practical point of view it's not necessary as it the sin bin exists in games like rugby and ice hockey because they have fair dinkum punch ons which we don't in the AFL. In soccer the red card send off is primarily for premeditated crude and dangerous tackles which can cause serious injuries to players and can ruin the game because tackling is such a big part of the game.

From a practical point of view it's not necessary as it the sin bin exists in games like rugby and ice hockey because they have fair dinkum punch ons which we don't in the AFL. In soccer the red card send off is primarily for premeditated crude and dangerous tackles which can cause serious injuries to players and can ruin the game because tackling is such a big part of the game.
serious injury to a key AFL player couldn't ruin or change the course of a game?

So Grand Final 2015. Hawthorn v Freo. Lewis or player X crudely knocks Fyffe out in the opening minute. Fyffe's game is over and Lewis / player x goes on to be BOG helping the Hawks win. You're OK with that? BTW, Lewis / player X cops a 3 game suspension next year

I had also projected such a scenario. Except I used Brian Lake and had him knocking out both Fyfe and Pav. And Ballantyne because he's a little sh*t. Hawks down by 5 goals at half-time. Clarkson panicking as the three peat is sinking fast. Lake is close to the end of his career. If he retires a three time premiership winner, he can cop a fine.

Sin binning. The umpire could have any incidents reviewed by an official during the remainder of the quarter with a verdict communicated at the next break. If the offending player is 'sin binned', his sentence will be the next quarter. This protects umpires from possibly making wrong decisions. Too easy. I put forward a few ideas on Sunday morning and was roundly abused by Hawthorn supporters.

But if we had a sin bin the Bombers might not have knocked Hawthorn out of the 2009 finals.

309170-lloyd-banned-but-039-no-sniper-039-.jpg

serious injury to a key AFL player couldn't ruin or change the course of a game?

I am merely pointing out that it is a common occurrence in the way that soccer is played and hence, the send off rule. The ref judges the severity and/or frequency of a player fouling an opponent in terms of yellow or red card. Soccer is a completely different kettle of fish to the way AFL is played. In addition to potential injury a foul can be the difference between winning and losing due to the low scoring.

So Grand Final 2015. Hawthorn v Freo. Lewis or player X crudely knocks Fyffe out in the opening minute. Fyffe's game is over and Lewis / player x goes on to be BOG helping the Hawks win. You're OK with that? BTW, Lewis / player X cops a 3 game suspension next year
We was hoping we could sub on Silvia carrying a spiked baseball bat...

If you had it, it would have to be only if a player is unable to continue eg Vickery on Cox.

The trouble then is if a Fyfe type bumps a 1st gamer and gets him high he could just stay off to get Fyfe sent off.

The retiring player gong nuts in the GF scenario is always there but there's still the law if a guy went around deliberately KOing guys. It's just as likely to be abused the other way with guys staging and baiting the good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this game could go through a period of 12 months without a rule change, then I'd be really amazed.

Happy, but completely amazed.

Leave the game alone.

All of you.

In the NRL players are rarely sent off these days. Even for violent acts in State of Origin and Finals - think James Graham biting Billy Slater in the 2012 Grand Final. Equally the ten minute sin bin is seldom used. The exception being when players have performed 'professional fouls' during the course of play. I believe referees are reluctant to influence the outcome of a match by penalising a team for an individuals actions. Instead players are reported and suspensions handed out post-match. I anticipate a sin bin/send off rule in the AFL would inevitably take a similar pathway.

In the NRL players are rarely sent off these days. Even for violent acts in State of Origin and Finals - think James Graham biting Billy Slater in the 2012 Grand Final. Equally the ten minute sin bin is seldom used. The exception being when players have performed 'professional fouls' during the course of play. I believe referees are reluctant to influence the outcome of a match by penalising a team for an individuals actions. Instead players are reported and suspensions handed out post-match. I anticipate a sin bin/send off rule in the AFL would inevitably take a similar pathway.
And that's the way it should be used. It's there for the extreme cases, but shouldn't diminish the mrp's role.

Absolutely not, but I would like too see some advantage given too the opposing team especially if one of their players is taken off the field

Absolutely not, but I would like too see some advantage given too the opposing team especially if one of their players is taken off the field
What advantage are you proposing? High tea at half time? Seriously if my team loses a player for the rest of the game due to an act of thuggery, the equalizer would be the offender being sin binned or sent off for the rest of the game too.

How about an Ice-Hockey powerplay? Lose a player for 2 minutes, and if a goal is scored he can come back on.

This could become quite problematic if there is an all-in-brawl as I don't think 10+ players will fit in the box.

It could work, let's say Aaron Sandilands is knocked out by Jack watts. Aaron is forced too be subbed leaving freo too use their sub early which can affect the last quarter.

Would it really make such a difference if watts is also forced too be subbed.

Although in saying that I am 100% against it.

Introducing a 'send-off' rule wouldn't be 'changing the game' for all you conservative tragics. It's a rule that a) already exists at most levels of the game and b) wouldn't change how the game is played.

For what it's worth I'm all in favour of it. Obviously there are some concerns about how it would be administered, but the idea of sending off players mid-game for serious rules violations is sound. Incidents like those from Hodge and Lewis during the Saturday game - the AFL should be embarassed that players are able to do something like that mid game and then play out the night. It's a poor advertisement for the game and a poor lesson for the youngsters in Auskick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back