St Marys vs Prahran Assumption - Not sure with this one, PA just
Kew vs NOBS - Bears by 5 goals

Good luck to all!

OG over Bulleen by 52
Whitefriars over Yarra Valley by 19
Ormond over Old Mentone by 63
Prahran over St.Marys by 8 points
Kew over NOBs by 29 points

Ormond look over the line according to their supporters.
And Prem B - St Kevins have it in the bag this year. Even they couldn't chuck it away this year.
That's D1 and Prem B in the can (but none of that Boag's rubbish).

Oh Richo you sh*t stirrer you!

Season still very early and at this stage but Ormond have no doubt shown their credentials. Round 10 will be very interesting if the top two keep their current form up.
Kew have once again improved their list to challenge in the division above but no doubt won't be getting ahead of themselves. I still think Prahran, OG and SMS will have something to see at the business end of the season. We'll wait and see I guess.

Some very interesting reading here and a lot of hot air about 2 teams when we're not even a third of the way through the season, and a lot of very tough keyboard warriors behind their screens! Freo are 6-0 but Hawthorn and Sydney are still better, more balanced teams more likely to take out the season. Ormond and Kew obviously look to have very good early season form, but how quick are we to get carried away and forget those hot on their tails, only 1 or 2 losses behind them?

Some of the facts are that after their round 1 loss to Kew, the OGs have averaged 19 goals a game, compared to the competition leaders both only averaging 16. Ormond are coming off the back of a 2 win season in 2014 and Old Geelong coming off a narrow preliminary finals defeat. Haven't seen much of SMS play, but that comeback on the weekend is very impressive I stopped checking the scores at 3/4 time and had already given Whitefriars the 4 points in my head.

No one in the top 4 knows this division better than OG and only 3 of the top 4 teams can actually say they have an established culture of success in the club.

I'm too late to tip from round 1 however this week I'm backing the home ground advantage:
Old Geelong
Yarra Valley in an upset
Ormond
St. Mary's
Kew

Some very interesting reading here and a lot of hot air about 2 teams when we're not even a third of the way through the season, and a lot of very tough keyboard warriors behind their screens! Freo are 6-0 but Hawthorn and Sydney are still better, more balanced teams more likely to take out the season. Ormond and Kew obviously look to have very good early season form, but how quick are we to get carried away and forget those hot on their tails, only 1 or 2 losses behind them?

Some of the facts are that after their round 1 loss to Kew, the OGs have averaged 19 goals a game, compared to the competition leaders both only averaging 16. Ormond are coming off the back of a 2 win season in 2014 and Old Geelong coming off a narrow preliminary finals defeat. Haven't seen much of SMS play, but that comeback on the weekend is very impressive I stopped checking the scores at 3/4 time and had already given Whitefriars the 4 points in my head.

No one in the top 4 knows this division better than OG and only 3 of the top 4 teams can actually say they have an established culture of success in the club.

I'm too late to tip from round 1 however this week I'm backing the home ground advantage:
Old Geelong
Yarra Valley in an upset
Ormond
St. Mary's
Kew
Weaper, I am not sure what you actual mean by culture of success at the club, very hard to quantify that and based upon that being the criteria for success in 2015 very very few clubs can win, Ormond have many of there current list that played in a Premiership and a Grand Final, And don't forget big Mal.. A number of the players that are coming through have had a lot of success at Junior level as well but I don't rate it that much, more about how talented the team is and how the coach can bring out that talent regularly - fairly simple really. I appreciate that game plans and styles have crept into this level even though many cannot execute the plan but at the end get the ball to your best players and if you have enough of them you win.

Old Geelong
Yarra Valley in an upset
Ormond
St. Mary's
Kew
Established culture of success IN THE RESERVES you mean... about time OGs focused on the main game

Old Geelong
Yarra Valley in an upset
Ormond
St. Mary's
Kew
Welcome to the thread u moron. Whilst you are correct in stating that Ormond did not have a successful year in the 1's last year, I thought I might give u a quick history lesson. In 2013 3 Ormond senior sides played in grand finals & in 2014 Ormond U/19's played in a grand final. Those facts alone suggest that there is nothing wrong with the culture or success of the club. If you would like me to further educate you on the success of the club since its inception in 1932, I would be more than happy to oblige.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beamsy, don't waste your time on the sook. We all know how successful the club has been recently as well as historically. I am sure you will have the last laugh when the season is complete.

Ormond and Kew obviously look to have very good early season form, but how quick are we to get carried away and forget those hot on their tails, only 1 or 2 losses behind them?

Some of the facts are that after their round 1 loss to Kew, the OGs have averaged 19 goals a game, compared to the competition leaders both only averaging 16.

Quite an intriguing and contradictory post if I may. You seem to take issue with people pointing out Ormond and Kew's success in the first 5 rounds, yet you then beat the OG drum about kicking 19 goals per game in the last month versus 16 for Ormond.

Is it possible OG have played some teams less capable of defending than Ormond in the last month?

Just a question....

Apparently 3 of the current top 4 (subject to change due to the fact there are 13 games left in the regular season) have an established culture of success. Humour me please.....Which one doesn't?

Finally, the reason OGs know D1 better than any other of the current top 4 is because Ormond have played in higher grades for all but 4 of the last 50+ years, whilst SMS and Kew have entered D1 on the back of very strong seasons with heaps of wins in the past 2 years. OGs on the other hand have been marooned in the middle of D1 for ever and a day as far as I'm aware.

Anyhow, just my two cents worth.

Apparently 3 of the current top 4 (subject to change due to the fact there are 13 games left in the regular season) have an established culture of success. Humour me please.....Which one doesn't?

Finally, the reason OGs know D1 better than any other of the current top 4 is because Ormond have played in higher grades for all but 4 of the last 50+ years, whilst SMS and Kew have entered D1 on the back of very strong seasons with heaps of wins in the past 2 years. OGs on the other hand have been marooned in the middle of D1 for ever and a day as far as I'm aware.

I can only assume he is referring to Old Geelong as the club without a culture of success, having been stagnating in D1 during recent years.
Either way its irrelevant as it doesn't matter. Clubs in amateur footy can go from hopeless to unbeatable at the flick of a switch these days.

One thing I would like to know is how Ormond struggled so much last season? Is your list by and large the same as it was last season?

Personally I dont think the jump between divisions is that great a gulf, having come from one of the promoted sides this season I would say the standard in this division is almost the same as division 2.

TIPS

Old Geelong
to beat Bulleen Temp by 40.
Whitefriars to beat YV by 30.
Ormond to beat OM's by 40.
St Marys to beat Prahran by 20.
Kew to beat NOBS by 55.

I can only assume he is referring to Old Geelong as the club without a culture of success, having been stagnating in D1 during recent years.
Either way its irrelevant as it doesn't matter. Clubs in amateur footy can go from hopeless to unbeatable at the flick of a switch these days.

One thing I would like to know is how Ormond struggled so much last season? Is your list by and large the same as it was last season?

Personally I dont think the jump between divisions is that great a gulf, having come from one of the promoted sides this season I would say the standard in this division is almost the same as division 2.
Scribe was responding to the contents of another post. In that context it is relevant. The second highlighted sentence is nonsense.

Scribe was responding to the contents of another post. In that context it is relevant. The second highlighted sentence is nonsense.

I know he was. My point was that 'club winning culture' is irrelevant. Ormond hardly had a winning culture last season and now they are pumping sides in this division which proves that. As for the second highlighted sentence, no it's not. There are so many clubs who rely on one or two players or a coach etc who then lose them then see such a huge swing overnight in their fortunes (and vice versa where a club picks up a player or two etc). Its not like AFL where clubs have long lists with ready made replacements of a similar level to stand in for players getting injured/leaving.

I know he was. My point was that 'club winning culture' is irrelevant. Ormond hardly had a winning culture last season and now they are pumping sides in this division which proves that. As for the second highlighted sentence, no it's not. There are so many clubs who rely on one or two players or a coach etc who then lose them then see such a huge swing overnight in their fortunes (and vice versa where a club picks up a player or two etc). Its not like AFL where clubs have long lists with ready made replacements of a similar level to stand in for players getting injured/leaving.

Club culture isn't an annual thing it's something that is built over time and if properly maintained results in the sort of on-field momentum at Ormond between 1985 and 1990. What can happen quite quickly though is its destruction.

Please do tell of the clubs that have gone ".......from hopeless to unbeatable at the flick of a switch......"

Therry went from a mediocre side to consecutive promotions, Kew as well. SMS were rubbish in D2 2-3 years back, all of a sudden they were thumping everyone.

Club fortunes in amateur footy change very quickly, like I said clubs don't have the ability to plan like AFL clubs or replace players.

As for culture, club culture and winning culture are quite separate. You're right in that culture is built over a longer period, but I am a believer that a winning culture is closely related to confidence. A winning culture means clubs approach matches/seasons aiming and expecting to win and not accepting less, this can be developed a lot faster than 'club culture' that incorporates many more factors than simply winning/losing.

Welcome to the thread u moron. Whilst you are correct in stating that Ormond did not have a successful year in the 1's last year, I thought I might give u a quick history lesson. In 2013 3 Ormond senior sides played in grand finals & in 2014 Ormond U/19's played in a grand final. Those facts alone suggest that there is nothing wrong with the culture or success of the club. If you would like me to further educate you on the success of the club since its inception in 1932, I would be more than happy to oblige.
2013 must have been a big year of celebrations for the Monders... My history knowledge clearly isn't as good as yours so you'll have to remind me... How many premierships did those 3 grand finals yield? I don't know beamsy on the contrary it sounds like there might be a massive culture issue at E.E. Gunn! And once you've made this year's grand final which was apparently assured after round 2, how do you think you'll go winning it? Hope those blue collars aren't too tight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back