Review Fremantle d Western Bulldogs by 13 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

I am still seething about this umpiring. In my book it was dead set cheating. You accept that they may miss the odd free, but it was way more than that. Also the fact that not once did channel 7 highlight the free kick differential despite the disparity. Absolutely disgraceful display.

I actually thought Ballantyne was ok - he didn't have his kicking boots on - scored 3 behinds, set up a couple of others. RTB mentioned in his presser that they've changed the forward line structures a bit which has taken him and Walters a while to get used to - hence their lower output. They both did well in the last quarter.

Our main issue was letting them out of our forward line, they were good at hitting a target inside 50, then getting it over the half back line to the wing on the next play in the last 2 quarters. Something to work on in any case.

7-0 start impacts a lot on September. If our start and a 2 to 3 game lead over your golden boys, the Hawks and Swans, ends up in a top two finish we may not have to beat them at the MCG. yeah we have to beat someone at the MCG but I'd rather be in our position than the Swans or Hawks. They haven't even played each other yet have they?

Next week they meet at the G. My mates flying over for it. Will be a very interesting game.

Next week they meet at the G. My mates flying over for it. Will be a very interesting game.

Massive game, not sure who I want to win (lose) at this stage. I still fear Hawthorn more than Sydney so a Sydney win would be better considering that, but I ******* hate Sydney.

Hawks are the team with the most depth and highest class. But they're also very reliant on a bunch of guys over 30 to get the job done. As much as Freo are.

So you want them to be fighting out the last few rounds trying to secure top four, rather than be able to rest players.

Congrats on the win guys. That first quarter was horrible to watch as a dogs member, but awesome as a lover of the game. Good luck this year, I really believe you will go all the way and win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ Johnson had to carry that back line so incredibly hard today, our best on ground getting booed for the first time too by the crowd every time he got the ball. I was complaining so much about our small forwards today, they haven't done anything this year although a few good passages by them could be considered the reason we got over the line today.

Would also like to thank the umpires for generating half of Bulldogs run today.

How did Alex Pearce go today?

He genuinely made good efforts and tried when going for the ball. His skills were a bit down with it, first time under proper pressure tho' . Having Sutcliffe and Sheridan in that back line today made everything harder too.

He genuinely made good efforts and tried when going for the ball. His skills were a bit down with it, first time under proper pressure tho' . Having Sutcliffe and Sheridan in that back line today made everything harder too.

Thought it was good experience for him to be thrown to the dogs.

Dogs probably one of the best pressure sides so far this season, so he did pretty well which is good come finals if we end up like last year with no key defenders.

Thought it was good experience for him to be thrown to the dogs.

Dogs probably one of the best pressure sides so far this season, so he did pretty well which is good come finals if we end up like last year with no key defenders.

Definitely was. I would be very disappointed and confused to see him out for next weeks game.

How did Alex Pearce go today?

He did well. He's no McPharlin, but you know, for a 2nd game he was good. Was Kamikazi brave in the third, after being shaken up badly in a marking contest and then moments latter flying into a pack to spoil and near landing on his head (all for nothing because they got the goal anyway). Wouldn't surprise me he sits out next week, both us and Peel after that.

Was a very nice moment early in the game, where he backed himself and kicked a beautiful clearing kick to the opposite wing when easy safe options were available, hit the target spot on. It wasn't stupid risky, it was the right option, and attacking rather than overly safe but going no where. Shows the mentality of him, he believes he's meant to be there and backs himself and that's half the battle when you're playing those first few games.

Last edited:
Every team is beatable, but if I was to rank each team on their best football and ability to produce it under pressure, I'd still have Hawthorn and Sydney ahead of Freo.

I'd have to agree with you on that assessment. But it's only half of the picture.

How would you rank those same three teams on their ability to prevent their opposition from playing their best football? I think our game against Sydney is pretty good evidence of our ability to get the game played on our terms (for three quarters at least). Hawthorn at the 'G still presents the biggest challenge in my book, but I do think we've made a lot of teams look bad this year.

Watched the game at work.

Just another 4 points in the kitty.

Shame Fyfe will get suspended (I'm certain they wont miss a chance to scratch him). Guess Mundy or Neale can give a Brownlow a chase.

I hope he doesn't get too long - his previous suspensions may influence things.
My understanding is intentional low and body is $1500 fine. Where sanction doesn't warrant missing games then previous record not taken into account. Is this right?

My understanding is intentional low and body is $1500 fine. Where sanction doesn't warrant missing games then previous record not taken into account. Is this right?

I'm not sure to be honest. I just feel if there is any chance to stitch us up the powers that be up will. Unfortunately Fyfe has provided them an opportunity. I sincerely hope it's just a fine - I expect the worse though.

Had a read of the dogs and main board too - surprised some are calling Fyfe a dirty player. Sore losers I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back