Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound rude...but duh.

My point is this fantasy that "none of that stuff happens here anymore" is nonsense. It is everywhere.
I don't disagree that racism isnt everywhere in this country, but linking the booing in this situation is just being hysterical.

Ok, so Goodesy just said that the boomerang dance wasn't incited by anyone in the crowd, it was a pre-meditated tribute to some indigenous youngsters.

It just happened to be aimed at the Carlton cheer squad with a look of sheer anger and aggression in his face.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up Adam.

He shouldnt have thought it out better... Police were called to investigate fans as a results and innocent people had their faces plastered on prime time as if they had done something wrong... Had he done the dance towards a carlton player it would have be nothing. No one can say that at first it didnt look like Goodes was targeting a section of the crowd

So it was a bit of a tribute to some under 16s kids who taught him their war dance and seemed genuinely surprised that someone thought it might be a reaction to something untoward. Not aimed at anyone for anything, beyond some young indigenous players.

End thread.

I would like to believe Goodes but he was clearly facing a section of the crowd made up mainly by Carlton supporters, maybe he should have turned and faced the Swans cheersquard.

Goodes' style is in-your-face.

People call it "seeking fanfare".

He's just an angry ****in bloke who wants change and recognition.

There's plenty of people who agitate for other change in a similar way. And it's ok to be that way - as long as your cause isn't the indigenous one.

Indigenous fighters should be reserved, non threatening, behind the scenes, know-their-place types when they are trying to affect change.

Australians don't like uppity blackfellas.

O.k, so in this year 2015, what exactly would you have change?

Ok, so Goodesy just said that the boomerang dance wasn't incited by anyone in the crowd, it was a pre-meditated tribute to some indigenous youngsters.

It just happened to be aimed at the Carlton cheer squad with a look of sheer anger and aggression in his face.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up Adam.
Just like the Haka has sheer anger and aggression on the faces of those doing it. The facial expressions are a part of the dance/cry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps people just need to stop living in the past.

Don't be assuming that White Australia is racist, but minority Australia never is. That is insulting in the same way that any discrimination is.

Don't be trying to blame me or make me feel guilty for something that happened over 200 years ago just because I am a White Australian.

In equal respect it is probably just as prudent not to boo people for their past actions but only on their current in the same manner. Yes, if any player does something dirty in a game, regardless of race, sexuality or personal lifestyle choices I will boo them til the final siren, and you do not have the right to judge me or assume I am a racist or bigot or homophobe or other......

200 years ago!!! it's still happening

But yes you are quite correct you are entitled to boo for whatever reason you like

Screencapped before someone deletes it.

And people wonder why some ask if racism is the cause.

The whole incident has been revealing.

The public explosion has revealed both the character and weakness of those who jump to conclusions, who shout someone down and vilify them at the drop of a hat.

The wiki changes are just depressing and disgusting.

Last edited:
yeah, nah he is still a flog.

Its a bit like Dennis Commetti who practices an expression before a game and then chooses where to insert it during his commentary. That Goodes dance waasnt natural at all, completely pre-meditated, and he just knew it would create more media attention centred around him.

For all the PC people sitting on your pedastools - dont fool yourself.

"Tribute to the under 16 boomerang squad"

"Indigenous round, proud to be aboriginal, representin' "

Probably could have saved a whole lot of crap had people not jumped to conclusions and made assumptions on things they have no idea about....

Probably because the media are pumping it up for all they are worth.

If he was going to do it, when else would he? Perhaps at the end of the game? You'd have to reckon after scoring a goal would be the opportune time.

Personally I found the dance quite terrifying. Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the indigenous round and Aborigines in general. I adore the native styled guernsey, and the pretty dot things. I even collect Aboriginal art from charming artists in remote localities (which I donate to the National Gallery for tax purposes). I like "Adam", though I don't know him personally and think he was a servicible Australian of the year (but not as deserving as Rosie Battie). But when he reacted to someone likening him to an animal I started to doubt whether he was, as his name might suggest, good at all. How would a 13 year old girl even know that it is wrong to be racist? I didn't know until an incident at a party when I was 35. And now the dance. Well, it was just...so...Aboriginal. I mean did he have to do something so cultural? It scared me because I thought I was just watching Australian football, you know, listening to Bruce and Wayne, having a cup of tea, feeling quite safe, and then, all of a sudden there was a real Aboriginal person expressing cultural pride right there in front of me. I thought they were just down and out but good at art and football? It frightens me to think they might actually be proud of their heritage. What does this mean for me?

O.k, so in this year 2015, what exactly would you have change?

I don't have the energy for a 500 page thread.

Have a listen to Gregory Phillips, he's a bit of an off field version of Goodes.

But be warned, he's even more provocative.

I don't agree with many things he says, it's just where some indigenous people are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back