Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standing up for indigenous Australians is "extreme-left"?

Then I'm damn proud to be an extremist.
Such is the interpretation of the extreme left.

Several others think it was a militant, attention-seeking act that only serves to divide aboriginals and white people. I suppose you believe said people to be racists?

Ok I'll have a crack!

Goodes is clearly booed because
- tall poppy syndrome
- rivalry between Hawks and Swans
- media BS
- staging/diving
- shots on goals
- long time in game
- can turn games
- hegemonic booing

Shady potential issues
- racism

Now i think that Goodes' dance was ace tonight. However, can we not confuse the issues?

Goodes can be hated without peeps being racist and Goodes can be a great advocate for Indigenous Aussies without being the best bloke.

In a round of black and white let's all respect that the future is in the middle :)
Your post is spot on and your last quote should be as simple as it sounds but unfortunately it's not. Minor incidents such as these are manipulated by racists from both sides (yes both sides) to benefit and manifest their own ideals and usually for their personal benefit. And then there's the media who fuel both sides fire as their only care is revenue. The post above is spot on, there's plenty of reasons players are booed but once a person with an agenda sees a benefit they will leverage it.

Your post is spot on and your last quote should be as simple as it sounds but unfortunately it's not. Minor incidents such as these are manipulated by racists from both sides (yes both sides) to benefit and manifest their own ideals and usually for their personal benefit. And then there's the media who fuel both sides fire as their only care is revenue. The post above is spot on, there's plenty of reasons players are booed but once a person with an agenda sees a benefit they will leverage it.
True but we can try to fight for the grey right?

If Buddy kicked a goal from 70 out and performed a dance that didn't involve running towards opposition supporters (as in the closet section of the ground) then no we wouldn't be seeing any threads about it, the goal would be the main talking point.
Are you sure? Think about it.

Opinionated minority threatens some people, not sure why.

Because. Double standards.

Making false accusations and inciting hatred and division should be looked at harshly, whoever it is making those statements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind his celebration, i just think the context is wrong. If it had of been directed on field towards his opponents then i think it could be tasteful, otherwise it seems like he's lashing out at the fans and the fans aren't liable to just sit there and take it. They'll continue to boo him and he'll continue to take offense to it.

Goodes has a problem with how he's perceived by the public and it started with his on field antics, his staging and his overt portrayals of emotion that are never tempered with anything close to humility. His unnecessary Australian of the Year award didn't really help his cause either. At stages he reeks of arrogance on field and appears to take himself a little too seriously. Sure you can have passion, but if that passion isn't directed properly then people will interpret it as plain old arrogance.

Goodes comes across as a little bit narcissistic and he wouldn't be the first star to buy into their own story a little too much. I think the football public has this sense and made him a target and he doesn't at the moment seem to understand why that is the case.

Cries of racism are in a large part platitudes that distort what is really going on and are divisive attempts to highlight other social issues. Sure there would be people who might be driven by some racial prejudice but most people just have him set as the principle dick of the AFL and one that will react as predicted when toiled with.

Great post that will fall on deaf ears.

by the way, you're racist.

Agree there are people who want to use the booing to paint all White Australians as mindless race haters and others who want to defend the booing because they don't like Adam Goodes for being Aboriginal.

I am sick of these arguments and am off to bed having resolved nothing. Night Night.

Ah, well let's see, Hawks supporters boo Adam Goodes.. we are racist... Adam Goodes enacts a war cry against opposition supporters.. Nope nothing to see here move along, move along...
look mate, they haven't called you racist. You're putting words into other people's mouths to trivialise their argument.

Goodes isn't a sacred and untouchable individual. Boo. But just look at the wiki edit to see that people dislike him due to his race.
SO don't blanket all hawthorn supports and pretend that you have ascertained all their motives and can speak on their behalf.

I just think you are playing up the ranking of Australia in the racist stakes.
Like most countries around the world we have a very chequered history, and that is probably being lenient. Unlike many other countries around the world at the moment we are starting to right the wrongs, but we still have a long way to go.

I don't always agree with him, but I'm loving seeing him shove it up people who defend their bullshit with "I supported Nicky Winmar in 94". Goodes' statements are political, and they rile people up because they cross the line rather than sitting in some comfortable zone that is easy to digest for Anglos. Inequality is real, it happens all the time in this country (we all supported the Indigenous players when they protested the community closures) and the way people react to Goodes' 'provocation' is proof that it's all alive and well. They don't think that he may be more aware than them of what's going on, they just get stuck into him. He's not perfect, but what he is is a 358 game dual Brownlow winner who deserves his platform and, more importantly, some respect. Especially from those who claim to love footy.

Such is the interpretation of the extreme left.

Several others think it was a militant, attention-seeking act that only serves to divide aboriginals and white people. I suppose you believe said people to be racists?
Racists? No. Idiots? Yep.

But different IA nations have been doing dances for 60000 years. Wasn't he just representing?

It wasn't a dance. Adam said in his own words it was a war cry.

A war cry made up by a footy team and performed by a very few individuals.
I would argue this isn't a tradition at all.
I wonder how the aboriginal elders feel about their culture now being portayed as being violent. A war cry does invoke that war is done which then represents killing other humans.

Sorry but for me if Adam wants to represents his culture them do a traditional dance and not something he helped make up.

He deliberately did it to provoke reactions from the Carlton fans who booed him earlier in the game from that section of the ground
He said otherwise. He ran right while going though the motions. The blues supporters were there. Considering the fight IA peeps have had to put up it was probably pretty cool having them there.

Pretty sure the last thing Blues fans have to worry about is Goodes.

In regards to the booing. It is disgraceful that race has been brought into it (even if it wasn't by goodes himself). Fans have their reasons, but it's far fetched to jump straight to racism.

I don't mind him doing the celebration. But why was it directed aggressively at Carlton fans?

For the second year running Adam has made the week celebrating all the great things the indigenous people bring to the game all about him.
Yeah, let them celebrate, but we don't want to know how they personally feel about Indigenous Pride beyond the usual media statements that we so like to bemoan: that would be uncomfortable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back