Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure he said he didn't realise she was only 13. He thought she was a young woman.

In terms of the AOTY speech, he wasn't talking about IA round. He was talking about constitutional recognition. As such he was talking about being recognised as a people in our founding document. A document that Indigneous Aussies were written out of except for predjuduce.
Fully understand the reflex to point her out. He was put in an uncomfortable situation there. The only contentious part was using rhetoric about her as the face of racism in the full knowledge that she was 13 years old.

I dislike Goodes because he has an ego and attitude problem and, for such a star of the game, decides to go outside the game so often with dirty acts during games. He also has the right to do whatever he wants within the rules of the game, especially during indigenous round, after kicking a goal. I don't recall a time I've booed him, but I've certainly booed plenty of players before and will do it again. People who make the claim that booing Goodes is racially motivated are surely not serious. I boo players who injured/hit Eagles players. I booed Wellingham after his hit on Simpson, and it took a massively long time for me to come around to supporting him. I boo players for dog acts, not for skin colour or political agendas. Goodes had every right to do what he did, but for someone who is criticised for having an ego he certainly went a long way to making it all about him again.

Edit: Also wish to point out I was a massive fan of his actions last year, obviously I think the girl was too young to fully understand the impact her actions could have had but I see no issue with a person (in this case Goodes) who has a platform using it to shine a spotlight on an issue. But tonight wasn't that, tonight was about Adam Goodes. Australia doesn't like an ego, regardless of skin colour.

What does Erin Riley have to say on the subject?

Insightful and illuminating. Certainly, all white people should live their lives hating themselves.

what an idiot. whilst i agree with the 2nd tweet the rest is absolute garbage, especially if you have listened to her past rants

she's delussional read her past rants where she claims to "identify as non-white" and knows what being disadvantaged due to her race is like. now she's claiming to be white.

wtf

You're quoting 2 acts on a football field in a career spanning almost 20 years.

Let me ask you this: What are your thoughts on Steven Baker?

2 acts?

Was it 3 or 4 knee sliding incidents?

Then the Selwoods being collected head high. A couple of strikes.

I don't think much of Steven Baker. But I don't feel the need to single him out because the tribunal did that for me. He was suspended for 9 weeks or something. Baker at least acknowledged he was a dirty player, he didn't try and pretend otherwise.

And there were other candidates that deserved it more than him. he portrays hes the victim in this all, when he is playing the game he loves, on big money, he should be a role model for Aboriginals to not to continue to feel victimized. Our generation is the most welcoming and equality based generations ever, but continuing to portray yourself as the victim doesn't do the culture or himself any favors.
The high rates of health issues in the indigenous community (diabetes,cardio-vascular disease etc), the low rates in educational achievement and employment would suggest the portrayal as 'victims' is justified. And my understanding is that these are areas that Goodes works at in the community to help bring about change.

Or those that boo Goodes for reasons they feel legitimate, provide cover for those who do so due to racism and prejudice.

Racism is not just calling someone names, it can also be bullying and abusing people because they publicly stand up for their rights or equal treatment. You indigenous male steps out of line, we will humble him till he conforms to what we believe is his station

The solution would be to completely ban booing at all games, that way there can be no misunderstanding at all

I have forgotten his name but I recall an Aboriginal guy that was a leading umpire back in the days of suburban grounds, I image he would have copped it most weeks.

Syd Jackson

Nope but am not really basing it on that. His teammates give a good impression of genuinely liking him-Kennedy for example, after the dance. Opposition players shake his hand warmly at the end of games etc. Who knows, but he seems to be liked from my observations.

Do you remember a game at KP where Goodes went in knee first on Ling every chance he got? Knowing Lingy I'm sure he would have shook his hand at the end of the game but I really don't like when footballers do that.

Explain to me how goading the crowd does anything but incite racism
So you're saying he's asking for it?
ever heard of the expression "get over it".

Why should past injustices be constantly raised. I have German and Japanese friends at work and I dont feel the need to constantly remind them of World War 2 and what a couple of dickheads from their homeland instigated. I dont even feel the need to raise it once per year - why would I? And of course I dont want to be feel made responsible for the stolen generation and other racist acts of the 20th century, because shock horror - I DIDNT DO THOSE ACTS!!

Acknowledge it happened? Yeah, ok, never time me and my friends are discussing the shit things in human history ill be the first to raise the stolen generation, right after the genocide of WW2, and slavery in the US. Ill booo the shit out of Adam Goodes because he is a massive sanctimonious tosser who is dirty on the field and is a protected species of the AFL at the tribunal.

Nice post on your alias account too btw.
Hey look- bad things happened in other countries too!

Pathetic response.
What does Erin Riley have to say on the subject?

Insightful and illuminating. Certainly, all white people should live their lives hating themselves.

You actually care what Erin Riley has to say about this?
I pity you.

Seems to be a lot of people who like aboriginal players provided they just play footy and never raise past injustices against aboriginal people.
People boo Adam Goodes because he is outspoken on aboriginal issues and people do not like to be made to feel responsible for what happened in the past.
Here's a tip.
Acknowledge it happened. Respect the aboriginal people as traditional custodians of this land. Stop booing Adam Goodes. You are embarrassing yourselves.

Utter garbage....Goodes is nothing other than an AFL Muppet....Racism, aboriginal rights & land rights are not synonymous with him, they are independent of him.

Stop buying into all the BS you are being fed by the AFL corp media propaganda machine, which got him the AOTY....You're embarrassing yourself.

People boo Goodes because they can see through the entire AFL MEDIA GENERATED, fabricated facade that he is....And because of the shit he gets away with on the field.

Any other player pulls a stunt like he did last night, then they'd be suspended & fined...But all we'll cop now from the AFL media machine is how brave & courageous he is....What a media beat-up croc of shite....And the majority of you Sydney posters will swallow the entire farce....Hook, line & sinker.:confused:

Fully understand the reflex to point her out. He was put in an uncomfortable situation there. The only contentious part was using rhetoric about her as the face of racism in the full knowledge that she was 13 years old from a broken family.
Agreed. It was messy. Was there a win-win in the situation? Probably not. That said, by doing what he did it turned a shitty situation into a lose-win.

Just out of interest .....is this the speech you think was divisive or did you accidentally flick onto Pulp Fiction?

Not going to watch that. His actions tonight are about as much cringe as I can handle for now.

If you read my original post, I said "he said something along the lines of".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have absolutely no idea who this is but it's these idiots that are so counter productive, try and accuse lots of people of being racist, when most are not. How is this going to help whatsoever?

She's some SJW chick who gained some semblance of notoriety last year, when, after the grand final, she wrote a sook piece about how she heard some Hawthorn supporters making racists remarks, and therefore all Hawthorn supporters are racist. It was your traditional means of deflecting attention away from your team's pitiful performance and disguising your melt by taking shots at the supporter group of the side who belted you, but she actually gained some mainstream media recognition, because she's a female and (apparently) a writer. She and people like her are counter-productive. You'll never change people's views and values with the extremist approach.

The high rates of health issues in the indigenous community (diabetes,cardio-vascular disease etc), the low rates in educational achievement and employment would suggest the portrayal as 'victims' is justified. And my understanding is that these are areas that Goodes works at in the community to help bring about change.
They are not race issues. Socio-economic issues. It's important not to confuse the two.

How do you know one was instantaneous and one was premeditated?

I've spoken to Winmar and Goodes choreographer ...both confirmed my version of events.

But a victim of whom?

Are white people responsible for Aboriginal school attendance rates and diets?

If Goodes devoted more public attention to his work in Aboriginal communities he would have more respect from me.

Check out the work being done by Andrew McLeod. He is a true agent of change for young Aboriginal kids. Not just another angry man howling at the wind.

Do you remember a game at KP where Goodes went in knee first on Ling every chance he got? Knowing Lingy I'm sure he would have shook his hand at the end of the game but I really don't like when footballers do that.
Nope, can't recall that happening, and can't recall the post match handshake. Pretty sure Lingy could look after himself.
Did notice Swallow a couple of weeks ago looking unimpressed with Hodgey at game's end. Elbows to the head are not nice-does Goodesy do that too?

Not going to watch that. His actions tonight are about as much cringe as I can handle for now.

If you read my original post, I said "he said something along the lines of".

I get the feeling if you did watch it, it would be for the first time.

Only on BF could a convo go ...

What an evil speech!!!

What this one about community, being proud and working together?

I refuse to watch it or comment.

Mythbusted!

We don't need political grandstanding in sport irrespective of the agenda. Otherwise where do you stop? Or more importantly, how do you constrain an opening that was initially accepted. Sport never should be political.
Why not? Sports is merely a vessel for change. It's happening in Europe with Soccers' Kick Racism Out campaign that's been going for years and it's had a lot of success. AFL has tried to curb family violence, drug use, crime, alcoholism with mixed results.

But a victim of whom?

Are white people responsible for Aboriginal school attendance rates and diets?

If Goodes devoted more public attention to his work in Aboriginal communities he would have more respect from me.

Check out the work being done by Andrew McLeod. He is a true agent of change for young Aboriginal kids. Not just another angry man howling at the wind.
How do you know how much time he devotes to his work in indigenous communities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back