Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could the booing have possibly been as loud as last week?
My watching (only on Tv) actually made it sound like Goodes was getting cheered when he got it. Last week he was clearly booed. If Goodes wants to do the celebration do it to the Sydney fans.

Rubbish. Goodes has commented on racism in sport, and more broadly about about indigenous history, on different occasions over his career.
I repeat.. Very non-confrontational for 15 years...Weirdly non-confrontational for man of his stature in the game and his stature within the indigenous communities.

One of those quiet, dignified, softly-spoken ornaments to the game… and then his Nicky Winmar moment in 2013… which co-incidently was also on Indigenous Round. What are the chances of that happening? 23 to 1 ? :eek::D

The booing actually intensified after two incidents within the last few years. The first was the 'ape' remark from the teen that he had the bad manners to call out.
Teen? Since when is a twelve year old girl a teen?
The issue was not that he pointed her out to security, but his subsequent grand standing.
Nothing racist about a twelve year old kid calling a huge hairy man an ape.
That's your adult opinion, not her childlike motive.

The second was the article for the SMH, which nailed his flag to the mast on indigenous history in a way that no footballer has before, and that seems to have offended many.
You mean after he was awarded the honour of Australian Of The Year? You left that bit out.
The divisive message he delivered upon accepting his Australia Day honours from the prime minister...

Again, the booing started with these incidents.
No, I can't speak for other clubs but the Hawthorn fans booed him a few weeks before the 'ape' remark when he deliberately tried to trip Josh Gibson, kicked him in the leg and injured his ankle. But the protected species was not even penalised with a free kick against or suspended by the MRP! Swans officials complained to the AFL about the Hawk fans abusing Goodes for this bullshit!!! How dare those Hawks fans abuse Goodes for kicking Gibson out of the game?!?!?!

People have booed Goodes on and off for years.

I agree, it's intensified since he picked on that twelve year old girl and was later rewarded with Australian Of The Year and then made divisive comments.

Last edited:

My kids are sixth generation Australian on my side and fifth on my wife's and I was wondering when I should start feeling I have an entitlement to feel entitled because ancestors who I have never met just happened to firstly emigrate here and we're later born here?

Or perhaps I should go back to Scotland and wallow in an excusing self pity because those nasty Englishman subjugated, raped, murdered, dispossessed and economically exploited My ancestors for over five hundred years?

And before the high mighty go getting their false morality in a knot, I have two indigenous employees and one of those I employed to take charge of one of our regional offices and both think Goodes is a tosser!

Australia has made great steps to address racism in the last 20 years and Goodes is doing his level best to drive a wedge between white Australia and indigenous Australians. It is Goodes who is ignorant.

I'm not going to lie. I am really sick of Indigenous Round and want it scraped from the fixture.

It used to be a fun round that was celebrated with Indigenous entertainment before the big Richmond vs Essendon game from 2006-2011.

Now it seems to have become a giant PC round where every team has to wear a jumper and honour Aboriginal contributions to the game.

I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but the fact that a footballer is Aboriginal shouldn't even be acknowledged. They're people just like anyone else. They should be acknowledged for being great footballers not for having a different skin colour.

Are you comparing IA to racial groups of comparable income?
I'm comparing IA people's to every other sector of Australian society. You wanna compare non-IA to IA in terms of socio-economic disadvantage. Go ahead. Look at what percentage of the population takes up that mantle compared to the make up of our society.

There's your problem.
Your have a very weak grasp of what the word politics entails.
No, I don't. Sports has been used for more than a millennia to drive societal change, often being a political lightning rod to change perceptions and raise awareness. These days it's used to raise awareness of serious issues within our society, more a representation of a stance against something, such as racism and family violence. To say that doesn't drive political change is nonsense.

My kids are sixth generation Australian on my side and fifth on my wife's and I was wondering when I should start feeling I have an entitlement to feel entitled because ancestors who I have never met just happened to firstly emigrate here and we're later born here?

Or perhaps I should go back to Scotland and wallow in an excusing self pity because those nasty Englishman subjugated, raped, murdered, dispossessed and economically exploited My ancestors for over five hundred years?

And before the high mighty go getting their false morality in a knot, I have two indigenous employees and one of those I employed to take charge of one of our regional offices and both think Goodes is a tosser!

Australia has made great steps to address racism in the last 20 years and Goodes is doing his level best to drive a wedge between white Australia and indigenous Australians. It is Goodes who is ignorant.

99 more thousand years, mate

I'm not going to lie. I am really sick of Indigenous Round and want it scraped from the fixture.

It used to be a fun round that was celebrated with Indigenous entertainment before the big Richmond vs Essendon game from 2006-2011.

Now it seems to have become a giant PC round where every team has to wear a jumper and honour Aboriginal contributions to the game.

I know I'm going to get hate for saying this, but the fact that a footballer is Aboriginal shouldn't even be acknowledged. They're people just like anyone else. They should be acknowledged for being great footballers not for having a different skin colour.
incorrect. They should be acknowledged how they want to be acknowledged just as you are allowed.

Look I'm not racist but should we really have to put up with people of other races expressing themselves? Could we not just watch a game of football in Dreamtime round without an indigenous footballer shoving his culture down our throats for all of 8 seconds? I'm all for indigenous people taking pride in who they are, but why can't they do it in the privacy of their own bedrooms? Why should a very non-racist person like myself have to be oppressed so brutally by these public displays of indigenousness like literally once in my entire life?

And can we talk for a second about Adam Goodes!? I'm pretty sure racism didn't exist until Adam Goodes started talking about it 2 years ago. Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but i'm pretty sure that all races were living together in harmony 50 years ago when there weren't show ponies like Goodes around to upset the apple cart. I just can't believe that someone could make it all about them by addressing broad social issues and doing something to express the culture of hundreds of thousands of voiceless, invisible people. What a selfish flog.
Brilliant!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a pity for the Aboriginal community that Adam Goodes is the go to, self appointed leader instead of quality human beings who also happen to be indiginous like Wangers or Macca. Both had more class on the field and off. Both represent their people better and I look up to them myself.

I understand where you are coming from. Recognise is a very strong and meaningful message, especially for young indigenous Australians. I just think the message was poorly expressed.

In some small way, we all wish to be recognised in life but some of us are coming from further back than others in society so they have to strive a bit harder.

Adam Goodes was recognised as AOTY.

Indigenous Australians should be recognised in the constitution and that is an important movement.

Indigenous footballers are rightly recognised every year in indigenous round.

Most AFL clubs recognise the importance of getting in touch with indigenous communities on a tangible level.

Recognition is happening.

There is nothing wrong with the expression of pride either but the recognition was always going to be lost or at least misunderstood when he diverted to the Carlton crowd, mimicking a spear with that look in his face after nailing a goal. At worst it's inciteful, at best it's a positive message lost in translation that required an explanation.

I would love to think that rather than the Blues supporters he was really reaching out to young indigenous Australians to recognise themselves but he clearly looked like he got caught up in the moment regardless of whether he had planned it or not and it has left a lot of people scratching their heads.
Great post!

The people still claiming that Goodes getting boo'd has anything to do with his heritage are so moronic it's unbelievable.

Jude Bolton, Goodes' teammate for however many years, even said himself tonight that Goodes staged for free kicks all throughout his career and that such acts would probably cause him to cop heat from opposition fans. And he's right.

I personally don't boo any opposition players unless they have directly done something during the game to warrant it (a hit off the ball against one of my players for example) but I can think of plenty of reasons why Goodes and stagers of his ilk (Ballantyne, Thomas, Selwood to a lesser extent) might receive an unfavourable reception from opposition supporters... and it has nothing to do with their skin colour.

Indigenous players no doubt cop racist remarks on an almost weekly basis - an unfortunate reality that occurs in all sections of the international sporting world. However, it's almost as if Goodes and others in the media are now linking one specific racial incident that occurred a few years that made national headlines as the reason to why Goodes gets booed, and that anyone booing him is only doing so because he took a stand against racist taunts... which is wrong.
But some other players who stage for frees don't get booed. Some downright dirty players don't get booed.

Its a pity for the Aboriginal community that Adam Goodes is the go to, self appointed leader instead of quality human beings who also happen to be indiginous like Wangers or Macca. Both had more class on the field and off. Both represent their people better and I look up to them myself.
Wouldve thought Noel Pearson would've been regarded as more a leader figue than Goodes

I hate Adam Goodes for making Andrew Bolt right. Bolt nailed him years ago as being self-obsessed and divisive.

What was to be gained by doing some aggressive war dance (after a routine mark and goal) at a quiet pocket of miserable Blues fans at the SCG? What was really to be gained? It's reconciliation week ffs, what message of unity did that send?

Absolutely pathetic behaviour.

Explain to me how its divisive? In what way does doing something to represent his culture in any way affect your own societal or cultural standing? In what way is expressing pride in his culture at all a statement on any other culture?

I'm sick of reading this. What Goodes did tonight wasn't about you, it wasn't about white Australia - much as it might shock you to learn that it's not always about you, this was about Indigenous Australia.

White Australia and black people accommodating to white Australia need not be our focus 100% of the time, and you needn't take advocacy for the furthering of Indigenous opportunity so personally. No ones coming for your land mate.

Why don't you get over it and stop feeling as though you are responsible whenever the issue is raised.
It is possible to acknowledge it without getting all up in arms and feeling someone is pointing the finger at you.
Grow up.
lol i dont feel responsible for it, thats the whole point.

How many times do you want to acknowledge it? What would be suffice for you?

Nope but am not really basing it on that. His teammates give a good impression of genuinely liking him-Kennedy for example, after the dance. Opposition players shake his hand warmly at the end of games etc. Who knows, but he seems to be liked from my observations.
That's what I noticed about the whole thing... Kennedy's reaction to it. It was.....

heart warming

I understand where you are coming from. Recognise is a very strong and meaningful message, especially for young indigenous Australians. I just think the message was poorly expressed.

In some small way, we all wish to be recognised in life but some of us are coming from further back than others in society so they have to strive a bit harder.

Adam Goodes was recognised as AOTY.

Indigenous Australians should be recognised in the constitution and that is an important movement.

Indigenous footballers are rightly recognised every year in indigenous round.

Most AFL clubs recognise the importance of getting in touch with indigenous communities on a tangible level.

Recognition is happening.

There is nothing wrong with the expression of pride either but the recognition was always going to be lost or at least misunderstood when he diverted to the Carlton crowd, mimicking a spear with that look in his face after nailing a goal. At worst it's inciteful, at best it's a positive message lost in translation that required an explanation.

I would love to think that rather than the Blues supporters he was really reaching out to young indigenous Australians to recognise themselves but he clearly looked like he got caught up in the moment regardless of whether he had planned it or not and it has left a lot of people scratching their heads.
Well said and reasoned. I didn't think much of it at the time, but if he'd done it in the middle of the ground towards no one, people would think he's gone nuts. I think that he's done it brings the issue back into the foreground. It's that unpalatable, undigested piece of red meat that just won't go down no matter how hard you try. I know people who have pretty insensitive and offensive opinions, not only about Adam Goodes, but about racism in general.

I'm glad that this thread is no longer about him being some sort of flog, but whether or not it's about racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back