Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like many on here turned off the game at half time so I missed it. I was coming on here to defend him so I had a sqizz online.

It wasn't racist or offensive. However, it was embarrassing and I cringed so hard I ended up in the foetal position.

Just bizarre behaviour directing that at some people on a day like today. That really cheapens a proud peoples war dance by using it against opposition supporters.

No integrity.

Adam Goodes is prospering pretty well from this white concept of education.

Yep and he presumably would acknowledge that, but if you look at the stats, he is one of the lucky ones from the indigenous community. They are significantly under-represented in education. Pretty sure that is one of the areas he works to address in the community.

Look I'm not racist but should we really have to put up with people of other races expressing themselves? Could we not just watch a game of football in Dreamtime round without an indigenous footballer shoving his culture down our throats for all of 8 seconds? I'm all for indigenous people taking pride in who they are, but why can't they do it in the privacy of their own bedrooms? Why should a very non-racist person like myself have to be oppressed so brutally by these public displays of indigenousness like literally once in my entire life?

And can we talk for a second about Adam Goodes!? I'm pretty sure racism didn't exist until Adam Goodes started talking about it 2 years ago. Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but i'm pretty sure that all races were living together in harmony 50 years ago when there weren't show ponies like Goodes around to upset the apple cart. I just can't believe that someone could make it all about them by addressing broad social issues and doing something to express the culture of hundreds of thousands of voiceless, invisible people. What a selfish flog.

I hope everyone read this post.

Someone give this person an award.

No, I don't. Sports has been used for more than a millennia to drive societal change, often being a political lightning rod to change perceptions and raise awareness. These days it's used to raise awareness of serious issues within our society, more a representation of a stance against something, such as racism and family violence. To say that doesn't drive political change is nonsense.
Not suggesting people and governments haven't tried using sport to deliver a political message.
It's Success, well that is a different issue.

Politics in sport is divisive and has no place.

The commentators said it was a fan who thrown out.

Yeah it is if in IA round by a IA player celebrating in a IA round on his traditional land.

So finally. We've teased out your beliefs. It's ok for a indigenous player to pretend to wave a spear at opposition spectators but just in indigenous round on his traditional land. Why is it ok for a player to do that in these circumstances?

How about other players in different circumstances such as pretending to machine gun the crowd, throw hand grenades or behead people?

Is the SCG part of Adam Goodes' traditional land?

His dance was clearly provocative.

He kicks a goal in front of the Sydney cheer squad, but then decides to go do his war dance to "take pride in his heritage" in front of the opposition supporters?

How is that anything BUT provocative?

But they make up a higher percentage of people in low socio-economic situations based off the population make up. Either way I'm interested to hear your point :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't soccer. Celebrate with your teammates who set you up to kick the goal.

Don't want to get too off topic, but keep in mind that soccer only averages about 3 goals per match and scoring is a big deal, it's kinda hard to not get a bit carried away when you see the ball hit the back of the net. They usually do celebrate with their team mates too, if their team mates don't get in on the celebrations then chances are they're too far away or they hate the bloke who scored :p

Post. Of. The. Yeast. It was a very intimidating and divisive dance because it was an Aboriginal dance and a war dance! The white guys couldn't do that dance (unless they practiced a lot of course) and that just proves my point. If you are going to do a dance, do one that EVERYONE can do. Like the Macarena or the Nutbush City Limits by Tina Turner. The last time I saw such an intimidating dance was at a Beyoncé concert. My wife took me and Beyoncé asked the crowd to do a single ladies dance. Now, how was I going to do that? I'm not single, and I'm not a lady. And my wife isn't even single either (So I didn't let her do the dance).
Actually that's pretty funny. Maybe I have overreacted but it's tough times for a Carlton fan at the minute.

It's a fine line between aggression and dog act and for mine Goodes has crossed that line enough for me to think he's a cheap shot sniper. Knees seem to be his speciality.
So is Stevie J a cheap shot sniper? What about Luke Hodge?
I don't have the energy to boo them every time they get the ball though.

Not suggesting people and governments haven't tried using sport to deliver a political message.

And doesn't it say a lot about Australia that Indigenous disadvantage is still a political issue?

They're entwined, often dependent on one another. Dismissing one off hand while accepting the other gives you a warped product; a vessel for nothing. Nothing for people to truly engage with. Nikky Winmar did more for racism than other Aboriginal people had done before him in 1 single action than they had done in a life time. It happens every day across the world in a variety of sports. Justin Madden was the sports minister in Victoria parliament for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back