Possible players to go after.

Remove this Banner Ad

salim hassan i reckon could be a handy afl player he was on ports rookie list last yr but they dropped him off the list although he didnt have a bad yr last he was one of the favourites for the medal in the sanfl yast yr and has played very well again dis yr for weribee i think an afl club should give him ago

ExTasDeeMan said:
I read somewhere in the the AGE (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/14/1126377374187.html)

that Melbourne was looking at Paul Medhurst - could that be some of the fodder for an Armstrong trade?

Could be a good trade that one. Don't know much about Medhurst but it could allow us to play Davey on the ball which could prove exciting. Showed good attacking run from the defence.

Still need a hard in and under player, a good forward. We need to prune the list hard, take some faith with younger players such as Bate, C Johnson, P Johnson, Jamar and Sylvie.

Need to really retire Rigoni, axe Godfrey, Hefferman, Williams, Hunter, Motlop

and seriously look at trading perhaps a decent player of some sort. Not sure who? Perhaps Rivers if the rumours are true (Hope not) or Wheatly or something.

dee_molisher said:
Could be a good trade that one. Don't know much about Medhurst but it could allow us to play Davey on the ball which could prove exciting. Showed good attacking run from the defence.

Still need a hard in and under player, a good forward. We need to prune the list hard, take some faith with younger players such as Bate, C Johnson, P Johnson, Jamar and Sylvie.

Need to really retire Rigoni, axe Godfrey, Hefferman, Williams, Hunter, Motlop

and seriously look at trading perhaps a decent player of some sort. Not sure who? Perhaps Rivers if the rumours are true (Hope not) or Wheatly or something.

If we want quality then we're going to have to give some quality up and as our first pick is at 12 then only a quality player will do. Unfortunately if we want a good young KPP it will take a player like Bruce or Yze to get the deal through, Wheaters value just isn't high enough.

Stuff Medhurst i want Kerr! we need a player like Kerr what is Medhurst going to do? sit around like Yze in the forward pocket. Kerr could get the pill!
Im just not sure whether i want to part with Miller or Rivers, i think Miller is a possibilty though. Imagine if we managed to secure Whitnall & Kerr and say lost Yze & Miller....I know Yze is a servant of the club etc but dont you think we would be better off for it?

Whitnall at CHF Kerr in the middle with TJ, Brock,Sylvia and Moloney! my GOD!

Get your hand off it. Kerr is no chance of coming to Melbourne. End of story.

Lukewarm to Medhurst, can be handy, but is horrible more often than not. Plus it said he is assessing interest "in Melbourne and Adelaide" - does that mean it's teams in Melbourne (Dons, Pies etc), or us?

Interested to see us in the race for Jon Hay. I thought we might keep a few cards close to the chest, but it seems were are going all out to get some players, which is what we need to do.

No more word on Whitnall, but IMO, he's the most likely to end up at Melbourne.

Plus Shannon Grant looks more likely to leave the Roos - would we want him, or is he too old and too expensive? (Wants 600,000 a season).

Gunnar Longshanks said:
Are you suggesting your lack of football knowledge should preclude your club from targetting certain players?

Maybe they should just target marquee players rather than looking for a bargain.

Firstly, I support the MFC, not the AFL, so don't have much interest in second and third tier players from other clubs.

Secondly, band-aiding problems with so called bargains can always end biting you on the arse. Thinks Heffernan, Moorcroft, Ellis.

Somehow I don't think the Crows would give up on Hentschel too easily. They have put a lot of time and effort into him and looks to be a good KPP for the next 7-10 years and as we all know, they don't grow on trees.

CowboyFromHell said:
Get your hand off it. Kerr is no chance of coming to Melbourne. End of story.

Lukewarm to Medhurst, can be handy, but is horrible more often than not. Plus it said he is assessing interest "in Melbourne and Adelaide" - does that mean it's teams in Melbourne (Dons, Pies etc), or us?

Interested to see us in the race for Jon Hay. I thought we might keep a few cards close to the chest, but it seems were are going all out to get some players, which is what we need to do.

No more word on Whitnall, but IMO, he's the most likely to end up at Melbourne.

Plus Shannon Grant looks more likely to leave the Roos - would we want him, or is he too old and too expensive? (Wants 600,000 a season).

I think highroller was just talking wishlist. And Kerr is at the top opf mine as well, best midfielder (most valuable) in the AFL imo.

Whitnall might come, would be a good get I reckon. Maybe if we gave up say, pick 12, Bizzel at half price and Dutchy.

Grant is not worth it, 600k is way too much.

HighRoller said:
Stuff Medhurst i want Kerr! we need a player like Kerr what is Medhurst going to do? sit around like Yze in the forward pocket. Kerr could get the pill!
Im just not sure whether i want to part with Miller or Rivers, i think Miller is a possibilty though. Imagine if we managed to secure Whitnall & Kerr and say lost Yze & Miller....I know Yze is a servant of the club etc but dont you think we would be better off for it?

Whitnall at CHF Kerr in the middle with TJ, Brock,Sylvia and Moloney! my GOD!

Miller > Whitnall as a CHF. Not sure about the deal there that but I would love to have Kerr.

who wouldnt. he plays 3 quarters of the game on the bench sometimes and ends up with about 10 hardball gets and 20 touches

If kerr leaves I won't post for a month. It simply won't happen. Bigger issues.

And for some whacked reason he did leave, we would want someone like Kep Bradley

sinepari said:
If kerr leaves I won't post for a month. It simply won't happen. Bigger issues.

And for some whacked reason he did leave, we would want someone like Kep Bradley
I tend to agree. Kerr has entered the group of core players that includes Cousins, Judd, Embley and Cox. There would have to be an exceptional offer for us to move him on.

We're entering a window to win a flag, and Kerr will be a big part of that. For us to trade him, we'd need a player who slots straight into our top tier.

A fringe player and a pick wouldn't cut it as we have no real need for picks due to our young list. We'd want a player who is ready right now and who would really add something to our flag chances.

West Coast needs KPPs. So if we want Kerr (which we obviously do), we'll need to give up a big boy.

Do they want PJ back? Jamar? Holland? Carroll? oh I know... Nicholson for Kerr... win-win for all! :D

Seriously, would you trade Rivers or Miller for Kerr? We might gain an inside midfielder, but we'd be losing a valuable part of our spine. We ain't got anything to offer unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cannons said:
Here are some players I think we should think about

Fevola
Hentshel
Waters
Salopek
Whitnall(although would prefer Fev)
James(after being delisted by port would be handy if fit)
Tarrant(providing he can learn how to kick)
Bartel
Polak

Very rough, but I'll add more. I'm eager to hear your opinions and what you think of these blokes.

Anyone seen Salim Hossan(unsure of spelling) or Podsiadly for Werribee. I think, given time they could be good, honest AFL footballers

Over to you blokes!

His name is Hassan. He was on our rookie list for a year and then was delisted. I’ve heard he has been playing some good footy lately but I don’t think he has what it takes for AFL. To small for AFL level. If you were to pick up James I would consider you the dumbest club in history, his knees are shot. He can not run out a game even in SANFL.

AllStar7 said:
West Coast needs KPPs. So if we want Kerr (which we obviously do), we'll need to give up a big boy.

Do they want PJ back? Jamar? Holland? Carroll? oh I know... Nicholson for Kerr... win-win for all! :D

Seriously, would you trade Rivers or Miller for Kerr? We might gain an inside midfielder, but we'd be losing a valuable part of our spine. We ain't got anything to offer unfortunately.
While Rivers and Miller are not worth as much as Kerr, we would seriously have a weak spine if we lost either of them, especialyl Miller

melbournemartin said:
While Rivers and Miller are not worth as much as Kerr, we would seriously have a weak spine if we lost either of them, especialyl Miller
Millers not worth trading for anyone, he will be a star. Only trades I would consider would be Judd or Pavlich for Millsy.

Yze_Class said:
Millers not worth trading for anyone, he will be a star. Only trades I would consider would be Judd or Pavlich for Millsy.
Brown maybe?

Miller, while having some very solid and 'helpful' games has not yet been able to take games by the scruff of the neck and if you look at some of the other young power CHFs like Riedwoldt and Brown, they were doing that by Miller's age.

However having said that, Miller is very important for us, especially since Neitz is going.

Could we go after Hansen? Miller's goal kicking has improoved so what if we had Miller and Hansen changing between FF and CHF and then having robbo and green etc too

melbournemartin said:
Brown maybe?

Miller, while having some very solid and 'helpful' games has not yet been able to take games by the scruff of the neck and if you look at some of the other young power CHFs like Riedwoldt and Brown, they were doing that by Miller's age.

However having said that, Miller is very important for us, especially since Neitz is going.

Could we go after Hansen? Miller's goal kicking has improoved so what if we had Miller and Hansen changing between FF and CHF and then having robbo and green etc too
I really think Whitnall would be great for Millers development as a CHF, would help with the goal-kicking, positioning etc.

Yze_Class said:

Surely you jest... ?

Sure he's been great at CHF, but if that's not over rating a player then I don't know what is. I love Frosty just as much as the next person, but he hasn't been THAT good. A lack of goals and a tendency to go missing from time to time, while being an average kick, don't do him any favours.

Yze_Class said:
I really think Whitnall would be great for Millers development as a CHF, would help with the goal-kicking, positioning etc.
Whitnall would basically be taking Holland's spot and Whitnall is simply better but is the difference great enough to be worth what we give up for Whitnall which will be big...

If Holland was worth pick 20, our first rounder wouldn't be out of the question for Whitnall and that may be a problem since, if all going to plan, this will be as high as we are in the draft for the next few years!

If the Eagles came to us and offered Kerr - Rivers saying that they want to develope him into a key forward or wateva....would we accept that?

hopefully ND doesn't just look at his crap 2005 year which was injury prone.

CowboyFromHell said:
Surely you jest... ?

Sure he's been great at CHF, but if that's not over rating a player then I don't know what is. I love Frosty just as much as the next person, but he hasn't been THAT good. A lack of goals and a tendency to go missing from time to time, while being an average kick, don't do him any favours.
He will be a star, i can feel it in my blood.

The aggresion is fantastic at a club where we have some of the softest players in the league.

CowboyFromHell said:
Surely you jest... ?

Nobody is claiming that Miller or Rivers are better than Judd/ Brown/ Pavlich, or even Kerr.
But Miller and Rivers are our spine, and a big part of our improvment.

Post Ox and pre- Miller, there was 2003, a year I'm sure we are all paying good money to our therapist, in order to forget.
You trade Miller for a Kerr, and you get a good midfield but nobody leading. Miller is not a great player, but if he fixed his kicking, he could be. Trading him, or Rivers, will basically mean we need to start developing a spine all over again.

So while Kerr is someone I would love to have, Miller/ Rivers is not a player I would give up. Everyone has a price, but when you're trading decent, young, courageous KPP, that price is damn high.

For mine, our weaknesses are a big, strong skillful fullback, a in and under clearance winning midfielder and a big goal kicking forward to replace Neitz with the first two being of higher priority than a forward.
I guess the question is do we trade to fix these problems or draft and rely on the continued improvement/emergence of the likes of McLean, Sylvia, Moloney, Miller, Rivers etc as well as the likes of Bate and the Johnsons pushing more for selection to go forward.
If we go the trading route, I don't really see Whitnall adding enough to the team as I think he would only be 3rd tall. Would rather Fev.

Personally, I'd prefer Whitnall to Fevola. Smarter, stronger can play back or forward. Fevola is pretty much a FF or nothing, and his body language and attitude at times are a problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back