RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

What horrible news to wake up to.

Condolences to the Walsh family and AFC community.

Hope this serves as a wake up call to this country at how serious of a problem domestic violence is in Australia, and hopefully push politicians to start tackling it instead of beating up a phantom terror threat. Two people are killed per week in Australia due to domestic violence.
And how would politicians tackling domestic violence have stopped this murder?

Someone who is willing to break the law and take the life of his or her own father isn't really going to not do it because some politicians come out with even more laws against domestic violence.

We don't know the particulars of how it happened, but one would assume that Walsh and his wife wanted their son in their life, so your over reaction about politicians needing to tackle domestic violence is nothing but a knee jerk reaction that would only be abused by many people the same way that intervention orders are already abused in the court systems.

Speechless :(

Amazing how much things can change in such little time. Really opens your eyes on what is important.

RIP PHil Walsh, thoughts are with the family.

I can't even comprehend this. In a time of tragedy, you look to your loved ones for guidance and support. How must Phil's poor wife and daughter be feeling - knowing this happened (for whatever reason) allegedly at the hands of their own child or sibling.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane now36 seconds ago
  • AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan this morning has expressed his shock and grief at the death of Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh.
  • “Our industry is grieving today. We send our love & support to the Walsh family, the Crows staff & players, Phil’s wider circle of friends.
  • “Phil Walsh was a man of boundless energy and enthusiasm, and his death is a tragic loss.
  • 'At this distressing time,AFL is working closely with the Adelaide Football Club on the support required to the staff, players of the Crows.
  • The AFL will communicate further later today following consultation with clubs, the Players Association and the industry.

And how would politicians tackling domestic violence have stopped this murder?

Someone who is willing to break the law and take the life of his or her own father isn't really going to not do it because some politicians come out with even more laws against domestic violence.

We don't know the particulars of how it happened, but one would assume that Walsh and his wife wanted their son in their life, so your over reaction about politicians needing to tackle domestic violence is nothing but a knee jerk reaction that would only be abused by many people the same way that intervention orders are already abused in the court systems.

Are you kidding me?

It's not just about laws, it's about public campaigning, education, improving social services, in particular assistance for those with mental disabilities and family violence services.

Instead, the Abbott government has slashed funding to family violence services, while pouring in $1.2 billion to tackle a terror threat that hasn't even struck yet!

Go get clued in on the facts before preaching your gibberish.

I had flashbacks to the death of Chris Benoit (killed his family and then himself) and how the world of wrestling was in deep shock. It was, just like this is, insane. Years later no one could ever have closure, because the murderer killed himself. I wish the Walsh family and the AFL community eventual closure and hope that Phil rests in peace.

I wish the Walsh family all the love in the world, especially his young 22 year old daughter and his injured wife in hospital. The actions of his son have destroyed a family, shattered a community and left me stunned like the Chris Benoit tragedy. Thankfully this individual must explain himself, possibly feel remorse and regret for killing his family and that can atleast help this devastated family have an opportunity to live the rest of their lives.

There's no doubt that the hurt we place on our families and ourselves is the biggest regret we all have in life. We're more comfortable with our loved ones and they at times feel the brunt of our anger, we feel theirs too. Too many don't know where the boundaries lie with domestic violence and that's our biggest issue in society at the moment.

Last edited:
I was stunned beyond all belief when I read it on the NM board. Told my old folks and we ended up discussing it for half an hour.

Condolences to the matriach and the daughter of the family. May God have mercy on the son IF he is guilty.

Why people are still discussing the footy side when told not to, though, is beyond me.

PERHAPS CANCEL THE WHOLE ROUND.

Really?

AFL is made up of over 1000 players and coaches and support staff, etc. so every time a tragic event happens to any one of these people, are you advocating we cancel the entire round as well?

No, we pay our respects to Walsh, his family and the Crows, and we go on with AFL football the same way that we all we go about our lives if one of our own family has a tragic event happen to them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CI83MLAWgAAaQVy.png

R.I.P. Phil
You were a promising coach, lead the Crows to that round 1 smashing of my team.
Condolences to his family, his players and staff and the broader football community.
Just devastating news :(

the game should be postponed, pts split, whatever. its unsafe for players to play the game when their minds, even subconsciously, are elsewhere as they should be. imagine dangerfield charging for a contested ball, selwood closing fast. instinct dicatates both players go in hard with collision imminent. however, if you for a split second double guess your self or actions, you are more likely to sustain an injury. it's akin to being hit without expecting it.

All the vitriol about being unfair to one team or another is weird.

We as a club are not looking for anyone to give us special treatment - if you knew anything about Walsh you would know that he is not about pushing responsibility onto others.

If the club / players decide to play - then we play.
If the club / players decide not to play - then we forfeit.

It's simple, and the ramifications on the finals / ladder etc are irrelevant.

I don't want to string out the old cliches but I don't know how else to put such a terrible circumstance, my heart goes out to all the people that knew Phil Walsh, rest in peace mate.

Are you kidding me?

It's not just about laws, it's about public campaigning, education, improving social services, in particular assistance for those with mental disabilities and family violence services.

Instead, the Abbott government has slashed funding to family violence services, while pouring in $1.2 billion to tackle a terror threat that hasn't even struck yet!

Go get clued in on the facts before preaching your gibberish.

Sure, if the politicians started to do those things you mentioned, then I would agree with pushing them to tackle domestic violence that way.

But let's be honest here. none of those things will happen, and instead all you'll get is more draconian laws passed that will be abused by people in the courts and none of which will stop someone from going over the deep end and murdering their own family.

This Article by Caroline Wilson in February is now with hindsight a little chilling

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...med-at-brent-reilly-to-get-up-20150224-13n1yc

In the day-to-day scheme of his new life, it is a matter of some regret to Walsh that he no longer cycles to work. The car has - as a matter of course - come back into his life. Another pet hate - talking on the telephone - has become mandatory again and he can no longer go to bed at 8pm given the new corporate demands of his job.

"One of the biggest things I've tried to change over the years, and I haven't been very good at, is taking work home," said Walsh, who turns 55 next month. "I remember one year I snapped at my son over something and he said: 'Footy's started again has it, dad?' That really rocked me.

"So I'm working on it. For some coaches, the late-night analysis is a badge of honour. I've tried to tell people, including myself, that the solution is not in the Apple Mac computer. It's out there with the players."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back