News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

I have my Sydney and Collingwood scarves tied on my balcony, and an Adelaide member just rang my doorbell and said that he thought it was a nice gesture. This would not be a huge thing - but considering I live in Sydney in a suburb that doesn't really follow AFL - I think it's pretty wonderful that something as simple as putting out a scarf can show camaraderie.

I have my Sydney and Collingwood scarves tied on my balcony, and an Adelaide member just rang my doorbell and said that he thought it was a nice gesture. This would not be a huge thing - but considering I live in Sydney in a suburb that doesn't really follow AFL - I think it's pretty wonderful that something as simple as putting out a scarf can show camaraderie.

It's a great gesture and appreciated. We are all together in this.

Cy Walsh, get some help son, I also feel for him and his mental health going forward. This doesnt need to turn into a double tragedy.
Stunned beyond belief.

Just yesterday when you and I were having that discussion about substance abuse and whether you need to have been a user to have experience in the subject the people I had most in mind were the family members who are usually caught in the collateral damage. I'm really feeling sad at the moment for those closest to Phil and I hope that whatever led to this unfortunate incident doesn't continue to be a cause of suffering for them.

My thoughts go out to your football club in this sad time. It's hard to put it in words but this is an absolute tragedy for everyone and my condolences go out to his family and friends and Adelaide as well.

Phil played for a year at the Pies in 1983 and from all accounts was an impressive first year player until he was traded to Richmond during our poaching years with them in the 1980s so some of the older Pies fans are deeply sad about this news along with everyone else in the football community.

I always had this feeling that Adelaide were on the right track under Phil with his coaching philosophies and the way he interacted with his players and that success wasn't too far away. Hopefully for the sake of the Crows, that legacy can continue and live on.

The press conference with Fagan and Chapman was handled with great dignity, class and respect.

11693822_10153969110517388_6095831570963806104_n.jpg

Mine

( sorry about the dickhead cat )

LOVE the cat. <3

Last Saturday night I met Phil Walsh for the second time this year. He had just coached Adelaide to a come from behind win against the Brisbane Lions. It had been, for all intents and purposes, three quarters of absolute shite. But that last quarter, that was special. Why? Because in previous years we hadn't shown the fortitude to fight back. The players all bought in to the "we can still win this" and as a collective, got the deed done. At three quarter time all I could think of was how very ordinary the post match function and breakfast the following day would be. A six goal to none final quarter ensured that both would be resounding successes. For the first time ever, the Coach came to the post match function, along with Captain Tex Walker and Cam Ellis-Yolmen. Also in the crowd were Crows Chairman Rob Chapman, and CEO Andrew Fagan. It was an impressive show of solidarity by the AFC. Walsh happily answered questions about the game, and smiled. A lot. It was the happiest I had seen him. He drew the raffle - the prize - a football signed by Captain and Coach. Today it is so very hard to fathom that that game, the Brisbane game, was the last game he would ever coach. The last time he would implore the boys to rise and fly as one. I'm so glad they did. image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

11693822_10153969110517388_6095831570963806104_n.jpg

Mine

( sorry about the dickhead cat )

I know this isn't the time and place but just out of curiosity - is that a Metricon built home? We were done by Metricon too and I recognised the style.

There is no words that can adequately express my shock and utter sadness of this senseless tragedy, suffice to say that Phil Walsh struck me as a top bloke and a terrific coach, whom was a bit unconventional, but was a refreshing and bright personality (making Texas captain was an inspiref moved)

I am pleased (as Gerard Wheatley said) that he got to live his dream of being a senior AFL coach (even for only a tragically short time)
Everyone in the footy world is poorer for his passing.

All the best to your footy club and the Walsh family, you are in my thoughts.

I know this isn't the time and place but just out of curiosity - is that a Metricon built home? We were done by Metricon too and I recognised the style.
All i know is that it was done on the cheap.

Dunny doesn't sit dead centre.
Light switches giving off shocks.
Shower door won't shut etc

So if that sounds like Metricon.......

First woke up this morning and to hear this news really like wtf and shock like everyone in here. Regardless of the reasons or illnesses to take a life of someone is wrong. I have worked in courts before and often think to myself how weak the punishments are hopefully that is not the case this time. I took the time to email the AFC and even though I follow another club its good to see everyone from all clubs pay their respects. Would be nice to see Adelaide become stronger from this moment forward for all of you.

RIP Phil Walsh

It's moments like these I always remember the Liverpool song. YNWA .:cry::rainbow:

When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high
And don’t be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky
And the sweet, silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
Walk on through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your heart
And you’ll never walk alone
You’ll never walk alone

Just a shocking day of news. It's bad enough to have such a well known and well liked member of the community pass on but to do so in such violent circumstances, it's left me completely stunned and lost for words.

Thoughts are with his family and everyone close to him. I don't know what else to say.

A very sad day for all involved. My condolences to Phil's friends & family, the Adelaide FC players, staff and all it's supporters :(

Oh dear god. What an absolute tragedy. I thought the Wayne Carey story was the biggest story I'd ever see in football but then there is this...

There are no words. Speechless

It reminds you that whilst footy is just a game the emotional ties to your club and the people in it are deeper and more pervasive. They resonate in ways you don't realise until... Lump in throat, eyes welling for a man I never met.

What a tragedy, I'm sick to my stomach and in shock.

This is true grief and shock

There are no words. There will never be words to describe this moment, even as memories fade and details become more fuzzy

Dear god how can this be true

We've had our differences Sanders, but I'm compelled to say well done, you've summed it up beautifully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back